Rose-tinted glasses - you chose the 100 worst retro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Thu May 03, 2007 6:36 pm

I would like to nominate ‘Joe Blade 2’ on the speccy. Now if I remember correctly, didn’t you just jump over enemies heads, which would then fizzle/explode/disappear, then try and do overly complicated time/puzzle type things. I don’t know, I’m sure people loved it, and can remember all of the top magazines raving about it…. But when I think back it just gives me a hangover! :)

Though saying that I did love ‘Deviants’ and it was essentially the same game from the same producers but with different sprites…. go figure :roll: :lol:

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 am

Nah - I found the Joe Blade games bloody annoying too.
They were cheap though...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Sat May 05, 2007 4:01 am

Jailbreak-spectrum

I was torn about which game to nominate but this god awful arcade conversion gets my vote.
Back in the day it was kinda playable and enjoyable in the arcades so i was really looking forward to it being released on my beloved speccy.
I went to my local game shop and picked it up in it's somewhat unique packaging for what was a princely sum of around £7.95. Took it home and waited what seemed like forever to load, Then.......OMFG what a mess they had made with this game, i could have sat and cried it was that bad.
Just recently played the mame arcade version but it just wasn't the same. Think that speccy version has put me off all versions of this game for life!!!!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun May 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Thunderblade, on any 8 bit format! Absolutely bloody awful mess of colour and sprites! Saying that, played the Megadrive version on the PS2 compilation and come to think of it, that was no bloody better!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri May 11, 2007 7:42 pm

I've updated the list on the first page, and we're now up to #56 for the next choice. But c'mon, people—there are a lot of merely mediocre efforts there (and, oddly, some actually quite good titles—Ecco the Dolphin? Golden Eye?), so let's think of the really bad titles that you'd rather stick a pencil in your eye than play again.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat May 12, 2007 5:23 am

56 - Final Fight (Arcade, SNES et al)

Ah crap, I wrote a fairly sizeable rant on this one but hit refresh by accident. In any case, most people are aware of my utter disdain for this game and its hideously limited offerings, so we'll leave it at that.

Stop giving this game acclaim - in the modern day, it sucks.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sat May 12, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat May 12, 2007 6:55 am

Sureshot wrote:56 - Final Fight

Ah crap, I wrote a fairly sizeable rant on this one but hit refresh by accident. In any case, most people are aware of my utter disdain for this game and its hideously limited offerings, so we'll leave it at that.

Man, don't make me come over there :D
Splink!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:56 am

Shall we attack him with pitch forks or Butter knives?
Watching you sleep since 1990

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat May 12, 2007 7:37 am

its so annoying when people just look at the game and compare it to modern standards, forgetting that Final Fight was revolutionary at the time, and many games may not have been made had capcom not shown the way......

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat May 12, 2007 8:28 am

bonerlaw wrote:

its so annoying when people just look at the game and compare it to modern standards, forgetting that Final Fight was revolutionary at the time, and many games may not have been made had capcom not shown the way......
In the original piece I wrote, I did actually state that I could understand its significance back when it was released, and that Capcom made no blots in their copybook for helping to move the genre forward. However, in the present day, it's dire. I can't believe some people still rate it above the likes of Streets of Rage 2 or Guardian Heroes as the 'best' 2D beat-'em-up.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat May 12, 2007 5:11 pm

I still love it, and although things have moved on and I understand some people will hate games others love still have no comprehension as to how people can hate it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon May 14, 2007 5:27 am

Sureshot wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:

In the original piece I wrote, I did actually state that I could understand its significance back when it was released, and that Capcom made no blots in their copybook for helping to move the genre forward. However, in the present day, it's dire. I can't believe some people still rate it above the likes of Streets of Rage 2 or Guardian Heroes as the 'best' 2D beat-'em-up.
Looking back at it these days, it is limited. I don't think it was ever a bad game though. Do you have any specifics on why it's bad, rather than just a game you don't like?

Page one of this topic has some well written nominations.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon May 14, 2007 6:00 am

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
Sureshot wrote:
bonerlaw wrote: its so annoying when people just look at the game and compare it to modern standards, forgetting that Final Fight was revolutionary at the time, and many games may not have been made had capcom not shown the way......
Looking back at it these days, it is limited. I don't think it was ever a bad game though. Do you have any specifics on why it's bad, rather than just a game you don't like?

Page one of this topic has some well written nominations.
Considering this topic concerns 'rose-tinted specs', I reckon this game about fits the bill. A game with limited and dull gameplay is not a good one in my book. I could go on to mention Capcom's annoying bonus randomisation which is present in most of their earlier titles, but it would be unfair to single out Final Fight for this.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 17, 2007 7:47 am

I still cant understand why people are moaning about this game. I loaded the Mega CD version up last night and its still a bloody good laugh.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu May 17, 2007 8:49 am

Final Fight is probably the best side scrolling beat 'em up.