What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ootini

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by ootini » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Oink was possibly the best comic I read as a kid. Totally nailed the kind of humor that appealed to me at that age (and the age I am now...).
A friend still has isuue one and the flexi disc that came with. He can still be coerced into doing his own a cappella rendition when drunk.

http://youtu.be/8Redmx2x4Z0

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:41 pm

ootini wrote:Oink was possibly the best comic I read as a kid. Totally nailed the kind of humor that appealed to me at that age (and the age I am now...).
A friend still has isuue one and the flexi disc that came with. He can still be coerced into doing his own a cappella rendition when drunk.

http://youtu.be/8Redmx2x4Z0
I think there's a lot of people out there, you and I included, who have Oink! to blame/thank for our senses of humour! It's been great getting to know the creators through doing my blog and being part of the Facebook group, they're all a brilliant bunch of people and look back fondly on it. You should join the FB group if you have access and haven't already!
Shinobi wrote: That's awesome I read your webpage and those Burp are quite un PC especially for a kids comic, I'm assuming this was for kids and not adults like Viz.. That 'Tom Thug character I used to see advertised in C&VG but he was in something called Zit I think
Shinobi, while doing the most recent issue for my blog (well, most recent as in the one which went on sale most recently back in 1987!) I thought you'd love to see this Burp strip. I've included him so much in the blog recently I decided to leave him out on this occasion - at great pains though because this is great! But I thought you'd like to see another example of what this comic got away with! Definitely classic 80s humour and something which comics these days probably wouldn't be allowed to do unfortunately.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Shinobi wrote:That 'Tom Thug character I used to see advertised in C&VG but he was in something called Zit I think
You might be thinking of Billy Butt (He's a Right Hard Nut), another "bully" character who appeared in Acne comic, which was advertised fairly often in C&VG and the like (including those phone-in competition pages where you could win pinball machines and the like).
Well I got all my C&VG's from the attic and it is indeed Billy Butt, basically a 1 page comic where he threatens to punch some fat kid with a weird and gives him a load of abuse over his weight.. I saw a comic in the charity shop called Fizz that appeared to have Billy Butt on the cover, lot of these crap comics it would seem
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 am

Funny story about Fizz, sort of. When Acne finished, a lot of the artists went off to start a new comic called Fizog. The publisher of Acne wasn't happy about this, so launched a new one himself called Fizz, which reprinted lots of Acne strips without telling the artists (or paying them!).

I've got a lot of love for Acne though... Trying to get the full set of them, think I'm only half a dozen or so away.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:10 pm

3DwhO wrote: Shinobi, while doing the most recent issue for my blog (well, most recent as in the one which went on sale most recently back in 1987!) I thought you'd love to see this Burp strip. I've included him so much in the blog recently I decided to leave him out on this occasion - at great pains though because this is great! But I thought you'd like to see another example of what this comic got away with! Definitely classic 80s humour and something which comics these days probably wouldn't be allowed to do unfortunately.

Thanks Dr I just read it and it seems familiar but slightly disturbing as well :lol: I would have probably been quite freaked out by that in school killer people eating bath as most comic's of its time where very tame.. I know either Zzap or Crash did a free comic and my friend gave me the Burp sticker but can't remember much else about it only somebody with a big nose possibly Pete's Pimple and that weird guy in the mask (who wouldn't look out of place in Bioshock)

I chortled aplenty at the strip with the meat head bearing hugging the woman and her eye's popping out

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:06 am

anything i could get my hands on lol
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 am

Shinobi wrote: Thanks Dr I just read it and it seems familiar but slightly disturbing as well :lol: I would have probably been quite freaked out by that in school killer people eating bath as most comic's of its time where very tame.. I know either Zzap or Crash did a free comic and my friend gave me the Burp sticker but can't remember much else about it only somebody with a big nose possibly Pete's Pimple and that weird guy in the mask (who wouldn't look out of place in Bioshock)

I chortled aplenty at the strip with the meat head bearing hugging the woman and her eye's popping out
Haha yes, that was a great one! Yeah Crash did the special edition which I only discovered a few years ago when I re-started all this Oink! stuff! Your memory is spot on (sorry) with Pete, but as for the one with the mask... Do you maybe mean Jimmy 'The Cleaver' Smith? The evil butcher that terrorised the comic's characters? He didn't wear a mask but wouldn't look out of place in Bioshock definitely!:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:00 pm

3DwhO wrote:
Shinobi wrote: Thanks Dr I just read it and it seems familiar but slightly disturbing as well :lol: I would have probably been quite freaked out by that in school killer people eating bath as most comic's of its time where very tame.. I know either Zzap or Crash did a free comic and my friend gave me the Burp sticker but can't remember much else about it only somebody with a big nose possibly Pete's Pimple and that weird guy in the mask (who wouldn't look out of place in Bioshock)

Haha yes, that was a great one! Yeah Crash did the special edition which I only discovered a few years ago when I re-started all this Oink! stuff! Your memory is spot on (sorry) with Pete, but as for the one with the mask... Do you maybe mean Jimmy 'The Cleaver' Smith? The evil butcher that terrorised the comic's characters? He didn't wear a mask but wouldn't look out of place in Bioshock definitely!:

This was a guy wearing a mask from my very poor description :lol: it reminded me of the same format of Doomlord real actors and and lack and white pictures.. You have a drawing of him on your webpage on the Snooker Page scan it calls him Frank Sidebottom can't remember him being a comic strip my mind is probably playing tricks on me

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:00 am

Ah yes of course! I'm so used to Frank Sidebottom now I didn't even consider that a mask :lol: :lol: :lol:

But yes, you're right.

This is the "real" him in a spoof comic strip with BBC 6Music's Marc Riley and below that one of the pages he did. I've noticed I haven't actually included any of his comic strips yet on the blog. He did do 'regular'-ish comic strips in his own artistic style. The man behind the mask was called Chris Sievey and unfortunately passed away about five years ago now. His passing was reported on the BBC and reading it was what got me interested in Oink! again after all those years, so I feel like I owe him a debt of thanks, as not only is the blog great fun and very popular(!) but it's awoken a passion for writing and has started opening doors for me!

So thank you Chris/Frank.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 pm

That Sidebottom guy was in Retro Gamer as well can't remember the issue but he did stay in character and wore the mask.. Sames most comic's are so damn expensive these days(still trying to find a cheap Load Runner comic)though you have tempted me to look on Ebay to see if I can get any Oink comic's cheap.> I always remember it having somewhat of a cult following

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Shinobi wrote:That Sidebottom guy was in Retro Gamer as well can't remember the issue but he did stay in character and wore the mask.. Sames most comic's are so damn expensive these days(still trying to find a cheap Load Runner comic)though you have tempted me to look on Ebay to see if I can get any Oink comic's cheap.> I always remember it having somewhat of a cult following
Just put up the most surreal Burp yet in the latest blog post! :D http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Meanwhile, I've just done an enormous write-up about Acne (and Fizog, and Fizz, and The Big Greenie), another of the "Viz for kids" variety of comic.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk ... sters.html
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:07 am

SoupDragon wrote:What was that evil elevator (Max I think it was called) that took people to a 13th floor in? Eagle or 2000AD?
Max was the computer in charge and he/it didn't like anybody upsetting his residents so he stopped the lift into a virtual reality world in which they ever died or changed their ways. He/it seemed to be sentient. He/it ended up in charge of a department store.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:17 am

Look In.

Oh, yeah. Get a load of this:-
http://www.toonhound.com/

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:33 pm

The Beano, the Dandy, the Topper, and the Beezer...

Later on it was The fabulous furry freak brothers, Fat Freddies cat, and Brain Damage.

Am I showing my age yet?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog