Issue 130

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Re: Issue 130

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm

its funny, I don't like the game in real but on computer I love it.
For me, in linear fashion it went International Soccer (C64) > Microprose Soccer (C64) > Kick Off (Amiga) > Kick Off 2 (Amiga) > Sensible Soccer (or was it Sensible World of Soccer, one of those) (Amiga), and finally to Virtua Striker, and then Virtua Striker 2 in the arcades which was so damn good I never played any other soccer game ever again.

Until I was able to emulate Virtua Striker 3 on my PC and that is, and it remains my favourite soccer ever. On computer though, I would have to go with Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:52 pm

ncf1 wrote:its funny, I don't like the game in real but on computer I love it.
Same here, I think that's relatively common. I have a similar path, with Soccer (Pong variant with 4 bats and smaller goal) > International Soccer (C64) > Microprose Soccer (C64) > Goal! (ST) > Adidas Power Soccer (PS1), finally leading to me playing Fifa 10 on my 360 last week. Tbh I prefer Power Soccer to Fifa, it doesn't take itself so seriously and is a better videogame for it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:07 pm

I wanted to mention Adidas Power Soccer. It's great fun.

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:07 pm

I hate football - but LOVE SWOS!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:15 am

Good issue for me this month, a lot i want to read. Next month also looks good with Road Blasters, used to play on that tons as a kid in the local arcade. Shame the Speccy game was so so so poor though.

Love the footy article this month

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:28 am

I was a bit surprised that Omega Race was not included in the VIC-20 minority report.

The football games article was a really nice one. I have many fond memories of summers spent playing Microprose Soccer on the C64 or Sensible Soccer on the Amiga. The tournaments were always fierce and the simple one-joystick-button-does-it-all approach of those computers made it easy for anyone to jump in. I remember laughing out loud the first time I saw a slide tackle go all wrong on a wet pitch in Microprose Soccer :mrgreen:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:59 am

Boulder wrote:I was a bit surprised that Omega Race was not included in the VIC-20 minority report.
It was more about exposing some of the lesser known games for the system. I think Omega Race is quite a well known game in Vic20 circles because it is very good AND an arcade conversion. Hence why Matrix and Perils of Willy were not in there too.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:05 am

Right had a good look through the last few days

Like the interview with Geoff Brown
Crazy Taxi - Loved the original but sad the new version is just the usual freemium hell on iOS. I love iOS games but this isnt good. Quite a long article though !
Yie Ar Kung Fun - Loved this game as a kid, think i've got some rose tinted glasses on as i recently played the Speccy game i used to like but its pretty slow. Far better than the sequel though on the Speccy
Theme Hospital - Looks decent but never a fan of this series
Amstrad perspective - Always felt a bit sorry for the Amstrad, just 'arrived' too late really as it always seemed to come a distant third in the home computer wars
Football Games - Brings back memories, really like this as i played many of them over the years.
Telegames - Didnt know much about them so it'll be interesting to read, had a quick scan and looks really good and in-depth
25 N64 games - Never had one but played a few games on it before
Super Cars - Ahhhh the memories of this on the Amiga, great game back in the day

Next month looks good with Roadblasters, loved playing the arcade version. Good issue for me this month as 129 for me wasnt the best

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 am

Mayhem wrote:
Boulder wrote:I was a bit surprised that Omega Race was not included in the VIC-20 minority report.
It was more about exposing some of the lesser known games for the system. I think Omega Race is quite a well known game in Vic20 circles because it is very good AND an arcade conversion. Hence why Matrix and Perils of Willy were not in there too.
OK, I thought it might be due to that. I was unsure what the scope of minority report was as I thought that it was about pointing out games you should try if you are unfamiliar with the system :)

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 am

So after reading the Theme Hospital article, I just HAD to play it again. It's on offer at gog.com, for peanuts really. http://www.gog.com/game/theme_hospital

However, the interesting thing is I stumbled across this;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .cth&hl=en

Which, providing you have the original game files, allows you to play it on an android device. I've successfully set it up on the Kindle Fire, gonna try on my HTC One next.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:A few questions about the Yie ar kung fu article? You say the second game never got a arcade release but 'konami' released it as Shaolin's Road or Kicker even had the same bosses.. The Imagine release of Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 appears to use the bosses from Shaolins Road fat pig tailed guy, Fan Mask Man, fire breather etc.. You had those pointless 3 flick screens of jumping midget and hitting flying tea leaves "hit several to brew a cup of Oolong Tea" or whatever the manual said they where..

Also 'Pole' bug on the Commodore 64 where he trapped you and drained you Energy, also Nunchuka was easy to beat jump over him and shin kick him just tried it now on X Box live got him with 2 perfects..

Also Oolong wasn't Bruce Lee he entered the tournement to become a Grand Master like his father before him
The feature just mentions he looks suspiciously like Bruce Lee, not that he is Bruce Lee. It goes back to when Konami would put the likenesses of famous people in a lot of its games. hence why we make the joke that he is in fact Bruce Lee and Blues is his doppleganger :)
We didn't mention Shaolin's Road as a sequel, because to all intents and purposes it isn't (hence why it's Yie Ar Kung Fu 2). There's some interesting connections though, so we could have done with mentioning it in a box out or something.
Thanks for the reply Darran :D I'm pretty sure that Commodore User said Shaolins Road was the Sequel and it started Oolong.. Will have to did that Magazine out and check
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

WoodyCG

Post by WoodyCG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:54 am

Bit late to the party as I didn't get chance to pick up a copy until Friday evening.

Really enjoyed the Crazy Taxi, Yie Ar Kung Fu and Amstrad articles.

Plus, I made it into the 'from the forum' section! :D

Looking forward to some TRS-80 stuff in the next issue..

leathered

Post by leathered » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Love the mag guys. Just joined this forum but I've been an avid reader for a year or two now.

Super Cars; the Shaun Southern boxout: Lotus 2 on the Amiga was 2 player split screen, and I believe was one of the games to take advantage of serial cable linkup too :)
Would love to play it like that one day!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:47 pm

leathered wrote:Love the mag guys. Just joined this forum but I've been an avid reader for a year or two now.

Super Cars; the Shaun Southern boxout: Lotus 2 on the Amiga was 2 player split screen, and I believe was one of the games to take advantage of serial cable linkup too :)
Would love to play it like that one day!
I thought Lotus 1 had the split screen two player mode and Lotus 2 you had to link up two computers?
I think you could link up an Amiga to an ST if you wanted, not sure.

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:27 pm

I liked:

Minority Report - lots of interesting games this is the best bit of the magazine
Telegames Article - very good but needed some comment about how rip off expensive they have always been
Yie ar Kung Fu - Interesting stuff. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/yieark ... kungfu.htm. If you read that it must save a writer the bother of playing the different versions
I think Yie ar kung fu 2 is best considered the sequel to the msx version of yie ar kung fu and Shaolins Road the sequel to the arcade game.

Everything else was ok but does not really interest me. I hope we have seen the last of the Amstrad CPC in the magazine for a while. It may have been a cheap general purpose home computer but very few original games were developed for it just lots of mainly sub standard conversions. Maybe it was the third 8 bit game system in the UK but certainly not worldwide. A well researched article about worldwide sales figures for 8 bit computers would be interesting and probably controversial. The 5 million sales figure for Spectrums includes estimates for east European clones