Do you love the Goonies?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Goonie love?

Hey you Guys!
80%
I only dropped you once, or maybe twice...
20%

Total votes: 20

shiftytigger

Re: Do you love the Goonies?

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:30 am

I get that some didn't really have a place but Princess Bride wasn't in there and that really was awesomeness.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:42 am

I liked the first time i watched the Goonies but i wouldnt really watch it again or buy it. I must admit i had a soft spot for it as Sloth was played by John Matuszak, a famous hell for leather crazy NFL player from the 70's who was a 'character' to say the least. Quite funny seeing him in this film, if you saw the real Matuszak i dont think he needed that much costume/make-up !

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:19 am

Nope - annoying kids and a ridiculous poseur of an elder brother. A ridiculous mis-matched group only a forced movie script could ever drag together, for far too much whining and screaming. Plenty of other films did kid's adventure much better.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 am

After the classic Bruce Lee game i thought from the screenshots the Goonies was going to be something similar. Not a bad 'puzzle' style game, i'm embarassed to say it took me ages getting off that first screen ! From memory i think screen 2 was pretty difficult as well.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:25 am

Very funny movie, with lots of bits for the adults too - One Eyed Willy ? :lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:21 am

I think as a kid I much preferred the teen movies like Back to the Future and Weird Science.

As a child the same age as those in the movies, I could already judge how fake and over-acted the characters were, and that just highlighted then how contrived the plotting was in films like The Goonies and Explorers - just like I couldn't stand those American Red Hand Gang serials they'd repeat every summer. Whereas the teen movies represented something aspirational about the characters and their way of life, even if the plots were just as implausible.

About the only kids' film starring a kid I thought was well-made and well-acted was Flight of the Navigator, though that was a couple of years late for me - more my younger brother's age. The way the kid (a decent, reasonable kid, not a loudmouth fatty or an abused bully or a bespectacled swot or a hipster brat or some other over-acted cliché) and the adults around him reacted to developments was pretty believable, and still stands up today. And the opening scene is an absolute classic bit of misdirection cinematography (not to mention most excellent guitar work).

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Loved the Goonies. Would rather watch that any day over something like Ferris Bueller.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Shirley you jest?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Goonies rule!!!!!!!!!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 pm

I own a Truffle Shuffle t-shirt.

That says it all about my love for the film. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:39 am

Just never liked Ferris. Cannot really explain it and put my finger on what it was that I just did not like about it. Loved weird science though.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:52 am

by silvergunner on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 am

Just never liked Ferris. Cannot really explain it and put my finger on what it was that I just did not like about it. Loved weird science though.
You mean you loved Kelly LeBrock :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:16 am

I watched a few episodes of the Weird Science series a couple of weeks back. Its not too bad at all. A little tamer than the movie perhaps, but follows its general themes pretty well. I was surprised how well they cast it more than anything. Lisa looks different, but has the voice and attitude to carry it off.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Yep, loved the Goonies, but then i love pretty much any '80's kids film. In fact, i prefer kids films, period! :D
shiftytigger wrote:I get that some didn't really have a place but Princess Bride wasn't in there and that really was awesomeness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3W5GDkgf2w

Love that film as well. 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Kilb wrote:
by silvergunner on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 am

You mean you loved Kelly LeBrock :wink:
Yeah LeBrock was hot in that film no doubt about that. I'd show her a thing or two that Seagal didnt :twisted: