Xbone without Kinect!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

Xbone without Kinect!

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:01 am

Xbone to get a 10% power boost thanks to Kinect getting the boot! and £100 cheaper too.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/05/xbox-one- ... t-4750844/

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/13/xbox-one- ... 9-4726792/

I did predict that MS would eventually have to remove Kinect and that is exactly what they have done. Hopefully this will be the much needed boost the xbone needs.

9th June confirmed release date for the new improved Xbone, may have to get one now!

merman

Re: Xbone without Kinect!

Post by merman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:21 am

The power boost does NOT come from ditching Kinect. Both Sony and Microsoft are "unlocking" extra performance from the hardware with updates, letting developers use more of the hardware's potential.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:28 am

MS are saying it is:
As Microsoft is planning to offer a Kinect-less Xbox One in June, and Digital Foundry reported 10 percent of the Xbox One's graphic resources are reserved for the Kinect, the move may help close the performance gap between Microsoft’s newest console and the PlayStation 4.
Initially Microsoft only announced an unspecified increase in GPU bandwidth (i.e. the amount of graphic processing that can be done at once) for the Xbox One, via this tweet from Xbox boss Phil Spencer.

But in a response to Eurogamer’s US editor Microsoft later confirmed that this was all thanks to Kinect no longer being mandatory:

‘Yes, the additional resources allow access to up to 10 per cent additional GPU performance. We’re committed to giving developers new tools and flexibility to make their Xbox One games even better by giving them the option to use the GPU reserve in whatever way is best for them and their games,’ said an unnamed spokesperson.
but regardless, the new xbone has no Kinect, its got more power, and it's cheaper, a win win win scenario!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:38 am

Lets hope they get some bloody games out for it, right now the Jaguar has more MUST PLAY games on it

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:07 am

Kinect is not so bad, you could pick up an XB1 with game for £350 anyway so the price cut is being overplayed. One of the things about the 360 that was winding me up was the long boot up times and slow menus. I suppose it's inevitable that resources are used for games rather than secondary stuff but it just seems like a response to the PS4 1080p nutjobs on the internet rather than something that is necessarily in gamers best interests.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 am

Yes, I'd think that in discarding Kinect, Microsoft are throwing away the XB1's primary distinguishing feature. So, although the machine might be the same price as the PS4 now, it's still playing catch up in the marketplace and solely reliant upon a thin line-up of exclusives for doing so.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 am

Matt_B wrote:Yes, I'd think that in discarding Kinect, Microsoft are throwing away the XB1's primary distinguishing feature. So, although the machine might be the same price as the PS4 now, it's still playing catch up in the marketplace and solely reliant upon a thin line-up of exclusives for doing so.
I think the PS4 will comfortably win this generation. Microsoft have made too many errors. I'm surprised someone the size of Microsoft couldn't at least win the cutting edge hardware war - that was their only hope.

The 360 was at least (for most of the time) cheaper than the PS3, and despite having no blu-ray or 7 "SPU" processors or whatever the PS3 had, the 360 had its over technical prowess and advantages over PS3. The Xbox One has nothing, other than possibly kinect, but thats basically not worked out for them.

Shame, as i preferred the 360 last generation over PS3, mainly thanks to Forza, Left 4 Dead series, better multiplatform games and Xbox Live.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:49 am

Good! I haven't even bothered with the Kinect its still in the box, wish I had sold it back when they were going for 70 quid on ebay!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:56 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:Good! I haven't even bothered with the Kinect its still in the box, wish I had sold it back when they were going for 70 quid on ebay!
Went to get rid of this the other day though id get some cash towards Wolfenstein. £5 in CEX cash or £8 trade. Oh dear. No idea what there going for on ebay.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:27 pm

£5 in CEX cash or £8 trade
Good grief! is that for real, a fiver? fcuking hell fire :shock:

xbone was around £100 more expensive mainly due to Kinect, a disastrous move from MS to include it in the first place, lets hope a few of the senior management team are given the boot too.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:48 pm

I tried Kinect Sports Rival and it was shot but still have no problem getting the Kinect included.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Well most gamers don't want or care about Kinect while the common folk don't want to pay 500 odds for something they can get for cheaper (read: Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle) so it seems like the logical thing to do.

Though, one does wonder why they didn't simply make it optional since the beginning. The PS4 also has a camera peripheral but it's not necessary. It just raised the costs for what is a technically weaker system. No amount of software updates is going to change the fact that it's weaker than the PS4. If they wanted a more capable system, they should have made it so before it launched.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:9th June confirmed release date for the new improved Xbone, may have to get one now!
DPrinny wrote:Lets hope they get some bloody games out for it, right now the Jaguar has more MUST PLAY games on it
This. It'll take more than them just getting rid of Kinect for me to want one, like actually releasing some must-play stuff on it that I can't already get for the same price or less on the Xbox 360.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 am

Though, one does wonder why they didn't simply make it optional since the beginning.
Because some at MS believed that despite the reaction to Kinect on the 360 (which sold a good number of units, but was almost universally derided as being awful) that gamers wanted, nay needed Kinect 2.0 as a core function of the Xbone.

Sony realised that in a premium product (which Xbone and PS4 are), that cutting edge consumer motion tracking hardware/software should rightly be optional for those who actually want to use it.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:04 am

Thing is though Kinect 1.0 might have sold well, but alot of that is down to the fact it was bought and used by tech types in lab and univerities for use on robots, drones and countless other things. Thats who MS should have aimed and sold Kinect 2.0 too, but now these tech people will pick of the unwanted second hand stock for next to nothing, disaster all round for them really.