Phantasy Star 4

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Phantasy Star 4

Post by crusto » Sat May 24, 2014 12:20 pm

I've been playing this again recently and have enjoyed it so much that I thought it was only fair that it gets it's own thread.

I love the art style, the story the battle system, everything. Easily the best game in the series, along with the original. And its criminal that the series never carried on. Would love a remake..

Post your phantasy star love here... :D

Eat your nans pants

Black Ridge

Re: Phantasy Star 4

Post by Black Ridge » Sat May 24, 2014 1:12 pm

The only Phantasy Star games I've played are PSO 1&2, 3 C.A.R.D Battle, PSUniverse and PSZero. Really enjoyed all of them so I suppose at some point I should really go back to the series' roots and play them. I know the newer installments are completely different in style but I'd like to give the older games a shot.

Best to start with the first game? Are they linked in any way?

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat May 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes they are linked, but not to the point where you need to play them in order.

Number 1 is excellent but difficult, the dungeons notoriously so. It's huge too, a feat considering the original hardware.

Number 2 is unbelievably difficult, to the point where I never gave it much of a chance.

Number 3 is excellent but is different in many respects, well worth playing though. A good story, loosely based on 1 and 2 with Lots of different routes through to the end, 4 different outcomes iirc. Plenty of replayability.

Number 4 takes the best bits from all the others and puts them into a great game. Probably the easiest of all four.

Eat your nans pants

rolan

Post by rolan » Wed May 28, 2014 2:28 pm

I remeber enjoying 2 thanks to a walkthrough and a lot of patience, far and away the hardest rpg ive ever played. PS1 was rock hard aswell but amazing with a walkthrough. 3 was just frankly terrible compared to the others but was made by a different team so I guess if it was called something other then phantasy star 3 it could have been seen as a below average rpg for the time rather then a big series low. PS4 is completely amazing and is the only one of the proper trilogy (1,2,4) that is possible to beat without going near a remake, it would be nice to have another one like it, its about the same level as final fantasy 6 in terms of 16 bit highlights. oh and thanks for no PSO 2 in the west Sega...

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm

I remember number 2 costing around £70 back in the day, so naturally I never got it. By the time I did play it (around 6 years ago) I no longer had the patience to see it through. I could tell it was a class game though, just by what I did get to see. Iirc I got as far as Dezolis before I gave up the ghost.

One thing that bothers me about the series is the typos across it. Look at the place/people names etc in PS1 and then look at them in all the others... This should have been sorted for the likes of ultimate MD collection etc.

I also can't forgive Sega for getting rid of the planet Parma. It was the best out of the 3 imo, and number 4 was less of a game without it. They should have got rid of Dezolis or Motavia if any planet at all.

I think Sega are really missing a trick here. They should give the original series a new lease of life. Can you image how great PS 1 would be if remade today? It cold be epic.

I really liked 3 by the way, it had its charms! It was the black sheep of the family though.

Eat your nans pants

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 am

Totally agree that number four is the best in the series. For me it's arguably the best game on the Megadrive/Genesis.

It's fast, fluid, and a lot of fun. One of the best Level-Grinders ever made.

http://www.puremachinecode.co.uk/galler ... mId=244152
sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Yeah it's the best, but why is it that nobody seems to like number 3? I thought it was excellent, and better than 2 -because it wasn't insanely difficult!

Eat your nans pants

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:00 pm

crusto wrote:why is it that nobody seems to like number 3?
For me: the presentation is not up to scratch in three, though the game mechanics are sound. The menus are quite poor (especially the yellow icons), and the monsters often look comical. Three is a good game, just poor presentation lets it down.
sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:52 am

PSO 2 for me.
After succumbing to the Nol ar$ehole on PSO1, I spent far too much on this (both time and money). 5p per minute online, anyone remember that?
I adored the Japanese Servers as at the time as they seemed so committed to playing fairly.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 am

Phantasy star 2 was the best in the series for me. Took me bloody ages to complete but what a feeling! I played 4 after, it was great but it only took me about a week to complete. After the insanely difficult ps2 it just wasn't a challenge. I'm actually playing 4 through again on emulator and enjoying it allot more this time around, this is about my third play through I think. I'm only at Tonoe at the moment near the start but I've forgotten allot of the game making it a bit more of a challenge.
Scott me up beamie!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am

Mallo wrote:
crusto wrote:why is it that nobody seems to like number 3?
For me: the presentation is not up to scratch in three, though the game mechanics are sound. The menus are quite poor (especially the yellow icons), and the monsters often look comical. Three is a good game, just poor presentation lets it down.

It took me ages to track down ps3, I got it from a game trader down Eastbourne market. He used to have brilliant Genesis imports. Oh my god was it disappointing.
Scott me up beamie!