WTF endings

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

WTF endings

Post by dste » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 pm

O/H just completed Zoo Keeper on DS and I have to say that the ending is pretty WTF for such a game.

Not to spoil anything but it's kind of pretty deep for such a basic premise of a game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Mancman

Re: WTF endings

Post by Mancman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 am

Limbo. Played it a few years ago and thought it was a beautiful game and the ending opened up many interpretations of the journey you had taken.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:53 am

Mancman wrote:Limbo. Played it a few years ago and thought it was a beautiful game and the ending opened up many interpretations of the journey you had taken.
yeah good choice, brilliant game and superb ending,

another WTF ending, Mass Effect 3, there were almost riots :lol:

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:58 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Mancman wrote:Limbo. Played it a few years ago and thought it was a beautiful game and the ending opened up many interpretations of the journey you had taken.
yeah good choice, brilliant game and superb ending,

another WTF ending, Mass Effect 3, there were almost riots :lol:
Ha ha... yes, Mass Effect 3... when you realised the internet was full of madness... and gave people the opportunity to say "all" gamers are weird.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 am

Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening did the '...and it was all a dream. Or was it?????' ending. While that's not uncommon in games, after you've put all that effort in to an RPG like that you'd like a little more back.

And the less said about Ghosts 'n' Goblins 'well done on completing the game, your reward is to play the game on an EVEN SODDING HARDER difficulty level' ending the better.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:48 am

Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day

Just...what the hell? :? though I suppose since the whole game is a little 'off', shouldn't expect anything else.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:39 pm

House of the Dead Overkill anybody?!?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Megamixer wrote:House of the Dead Overkill anybody?!?
Oh my god! Yeah! That's such a WTF ending!

Anyone ever complete Enduro Racer on the Master System? You get this long text spiel about how Enduro Racer is a metaphor for life, winning and succeeding in all that you do. It's both cringe worthy and hilarious and has nothing really to do with the game. A groovy little animation cut scene would have been much more rewarding.

And Kid Chameleon. So, so hard and all you get is a tiny little animation followed by a really bitter sounding comment "And, now... The people who gave up their lives, wives and sanity to make this game a reality" followed by indistinguishable and pretty lame sprites of the people who made the game... Still, I suppose as far as Kid Chameleon is concerned, just playing and knowing you beat it is reward enough. It's a bloody amazing game!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Mr. Driller - yes, you've saved the day and stopped the cities of the world from being buried under a mountain of brightly coloured blocks but then you find out you're single-handedly destroying the only food source for a cute little species of underground dwellers.

If you don't feel torn, you're not human. There, I said it.

Also King's ending in Tekken 2 - quality Chromakey work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjVgNBF81k

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Killer is Dead the whole games a head F so to speak from the boss fight with the blind woman who attacks you as yourr eating your tea with your mother(and you see the fight from her eyes) to the evil talking train that kills people for not riding on it.. Just to how it breaks the fourth wall

The last boss fight when Mondo becomes evil and you fight on the moon I just can't make head or tail off it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:37 am

The ending to Golden Axe (Arcade version) was definitely a WTF ending the first time I witnessed it :)

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Megamixer wrote:House of the Dead Overkill anybody?!?
How could I have possibly forgotten about that ending...

Best bit was that I first completed the game with my O/H, should have seen her face when watching it. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:09 pm

No More Heroes, especially if you get the 'good' ending. Just a complete headwrecker. Although so was the entire game, to be honest :lol:

Star Fox Adventures...if only for 'Seriously? They've built the whole game up to a confrontation with General Scales and now they've randomly shoehorned this crap in at the end?' It nearly ruined the entire game for me, and left me not liking it as much as I initially did as it was.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy...the entire last section and the amount of plot twists it threw in was just completely ridiculous, especially how some of them panned out. Layton games are known for mysteries and plot twists but that was just taking it to implausible (and completely absurd) extremes.

Red Dead Redemption...do you want to carry on playing as John Marston afterwards to mop up achievements? Well sorry, but you can't. I did actually like the ending though despite it being unexpected.

Zelda: Wind Waker...lovely cel shaded visuals and really nice friendly looking characters....wait, what did Link just do to Ganondorf? :shock:

EDIT Also Klonoa: Door To Phantomile as well....very good game, wasn't quite expecting it to turn out like that though. :(
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:10 am

Shinobi wrote:Killer is Dead the whole games a head F so to speak from the boss fight with the blind woman who attacks you as yourr eating your tea with your mother(and you see the fight from her eyes) to the evil talking train that kills people for not riding on it.. Just to how it breaks the fourth wall

The last boss fight when Mondo becomes evil and you fight on the moon I just can't make head or tail off it
The first few hours of that game is a real head scratcher, but after that I just rolled with it. It is a pretty whacky game all round though, best boss fight was that giant robot as you went up the skyscraper.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:14 am

The Mass Effect 2 ending was a wtf moment for me, fantastic game from start to finish, but didn't expect to fight the Terminator at the end, I mean, that was so left field.