More woe for nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Re: More woe for nintendo

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 17, 2014 3:33 am

Here's some art-styles for Zelda:

Wii U tech demo:

Nice lighting, moody atmosphere, nice character detail.

Hyrule Warriors (Wii U):

Many enemies on-screen at once but a notable lack of detail (blurred textures, no grass, ect.). Looks like a Wii game bumped into HD.

Wind Waker HD (Wii U):

Nice-looking game but it's still a GameCube game at core.

Skyward Sword (Wii):

It's artistically interesting, but it also has very blurred (worse than N64) textures and the low-resolution of the Wii does not make it justice.

Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS):

A nice update of the classic but sadly the low-resolution screen of the 3DS does not do it full justice. And despite looking less detailed, the N64 version has better colours (a comparison here - click)

Twilight Princess (NGC/Wii):

The game looked quite promising but the low-quality (blurred) textures and the exaggerated bloom lighting were disappointing.

Majora's Mask (N64/NGC/VC):

Although the game is quite old, it still holds up and is pleasing to look at. The full power of N64 was used (extra RAM expansion required) to create a diverse, interesting and unique world. The darker theme also suits the game well.

NGC tech demo:

The kind of Zelda everyone was expecting before Nintendo announced Wind Waker. Retrospectively, Wind Waker's style aged better, but Nintendo failed to deliver what the fan base actually wanted back then.

N64 tech demo:

There's no doubt the final game looked better than this, although it might have had more in common with the previous 2D Zeldas.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 17, 2014 11:50 am

Top one would be perfect!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat May 17, 2014 1:36 pm

It's crap

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Somewhere between the first and second would be good.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat May 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Out of all the new consoles the WiiU is the only one that has a great bush of buy-me titles on it and the system looks far more interesting for the games that it has than the PS4 or XB1, but having said that for me its still a good handfull of titles away from a purchase. I really do think its time for a change of managment at the top brass of Nintendo, a new marketing team wouldn't go amiss either, and how about some brand new IP?! Not the same old games series, or old ones from the past, but creating some new fresh games.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat May 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I honestly thought Wind Waker looked gorgeous and fit the game perfectly. What's wrong with games looking like games? The drive for realism, or pseudorealism belies a lack of imagination in a lot of cases IMHO. But if there was going to be a grittier Zelda game, then the top pic would be just fine. Context is king.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Windwaker looks fantastic now as it did then.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat May 17, 2014 5:36 pm

gman72 wrote:Windwaker looks fantastic now as it did then.
Yes, it's aged far and away the most gracefully of all the 3D Zeldas.

That said, I don't think the stills of Skywards Sword and Twilight Princess do the games justice. They look far better in action where there's plenty to distract you from the lack of detail. Similarly, the low resolution of the Ocarina re-make doesn't matter so much on a 3.5 inch screen.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat May 17, 2014 7:57 pm

I thought the 'blurry textures' on Skyward Sword were a deliberate artistic choice? ISTR reading that the team were heavily influenced by impressionist paintings when making the game and wanted to make something that looked like one of those come to life.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Matt_B wrote:
gman72 wrote:Windwaker looks fantastic now as it did then.
Yes, it's aged far and away the most gracefully of all the 3D Zeldas.

That said, I don't think the stills of Skywards Sword and Twilight Princess do the games justice. They look far better in action where there's plenty to distract you from the lack of detail. Similarly, the low resolution of the Ocarina re-make doesn't matter so much on a 3.5 inch screen.
I adore OOT on 3DS and would welcome a MM to compliment it

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun May 18, 2014 4:05 am

killbot wrote:I thought the 'blurry textures' on Skyward Sword were a deliberate artistic choice?
They were. But from a technical point of view, they still were worse than N64 ones. :wink:

WW was similar with it's single-colour "toon"-shaded textures although the game was wholly "adjusted" to that kind of look.

In SS it felt a bit "out of place" at times, imo.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I like the look of that Wii-U tech demo...a lot.

Windwaker was always fantastic but I much preferred Twilight Princess's style (seems like I'm a rare breed!).

Have to say that the Spaceworld 2000 demo for the 'cube is a nice sweet spot between 'realistic' and the stylised cartoon look of Windwaker so it's a shame that a game wasn't made in this vein though it does at least show how much more was squeezed out of the GC when looking at Twilight Princess in comparison.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon May 19, 2014 4:24 am

I would like the next Zelda to be set in a realistic world, on a hi-res council estate. All the old games with artistic interpretations and colour are junk, just give me super mega hi-res textures and a Link in a Stussy hoodie. That would be perfect.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:08 am

Mootown wrote:I would like the next Zelda to be set in a realistic world, on a hi-res council estate. All the old games with artistic interpretations and colour are junk, just give me super mega hi-res textures and a Link in a Stussy hoodie. That would be perfect.

Zelda meets benefit street? Yeah, that might work...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 19, 2014 5:29 am

killbot wrote:I thought the 'blurry textures' on Skyward Sword were a deliberate artistic choice? ISTR reading that the team were heavily influenced by impressionist paintings when making the game and wanted to make something that looked like one of those come to life.
Yes, they were. Although you don't have to read too hard between the lines to see that their choices were rather limited by what the Wii hardware was capable of.

Or to put it another way; if they'd gone for the look of an impressionist painting on the Wii U hardware, you'd be able to see the brush strokes.