XB1 Owners / Collectors Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

XB1 Owners / Collectors Thread

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat May 10, 2014 5:18 am

Well we have one for wii-u so why not :) Made the jump to next gen with the titanfall pack. Been playing it all week and so far I'm pretty impressed. The pad is perfect, the separate vibrating motors were the first thing that really stood out, which may seem a little strange but I really liked being able to tell which direction an explosion came from by the feel of the pad. Menu's were confusing at first but once you get the hang of them it's really nice. I've only used Kinect for Skype and it worked very well, the QR droid and Kinect sign in are nice features. There are a few little issues with the messaging system, which seems to lag a bit and I'm not sure about adding party support to everything, mostly because I keep setting up party options by accident.

Titanfall is great, worth the price of admission alone. I never liked COD that much but giant robots make everything better. Also picked up metal gear solid ground zeroes, it looks nice, but everything else about it is just terrible :)

gman72

Re: XB1 Owners / Collectors Thread

Post by gman72 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:15 am

Nice thread.
I'm not too keen on Ground Zeroes either, it's just not gelling for me, I will give it another go though. I recommend you try Ryse Son of Rome, it's a quality hack and slash with jaw droppingly good visuals. Rumours have it that a sequel will be announced at E3 also.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat May 10, 2014 11:31 am

I'm going for dead rising 3 as my next game and I'm kind of interested in crimson dragon, but I can't help but think that it will be free with gold at some point. Just downloaded child of light, it's a real nice game so far and looks incredible.

I've tried metal gear for hours but there's no hope, I just don't like it. You either have an open world game where you have the freedom to play around but it can be a bit aimless, or a more linear game with a clearer path but more rules. This game takes the worst bits from both, giving you the open approach but penalising you at every turn when you try anything. The controls are fiddly, menus are awkward and there's no tutorial (despite this supposedly being an introduction to a new type of gameplay). There's a bit where you have to listen to a tape to work out where to go from the sounds. This would be fine if you had spend 4 or 5 hours exploring and could recognise the sounds but it happens after 20 minutes when you probably haven't even seen half the map. You're options are to wander round aimlessly, alerting guards and getting frustrated or check on youtube. I knew it would be short but it seems padded out, taking every opportunity to make you replay. Why do they start you off with a rifle and encourage you to shoot the guards, knowing full well it will alert the others? You have a silenced pistol so why not make it default? The extra missions aren't much better, sending you off to kill someone then saying they've moved, and moved again, and moved again. Also putting a percentage complete bar on the main menu telling you that you're only 11% complete is not convincing me I've only just scratched the surface of a game that can clearly be finished in half an hour. Oh and the implied rape in the story, good grief, they seem happy to show gruesome surgery with no aesthetic but arrange bandages for fear of showing a nipple. If you don't have the courage just don't go there.

Bit of a rant there, I must emphasise all my other experiences with the XB1 have been very positive :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Well Dead Rising 3 is utterly superb.
Crimson Dragon is OK, on paper it should be every bit as class as Panzer Dragoon but it somehow falls short, I couldn't put my finger on why, the controls worked and the visuals are nice but it somehow just isn't all that great.
I agree with you about Ground Zeroes, I just can't be arsed with it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 am

I still need to play through the last few DR games before playing DR3, but I like what I've played so far. So many zombies on screen and the frame rate seemed solid. Weapon crafting is great and having the freedom to explore a huge city is a huge draw for me.

Ryse continues to be my favourite game for the system though. Some really amazing set pieces, graphics and decent voice acting/story scenes. Its not perfect but I still really enjoy playing it from time to time.

I still need to download the big Killer Instinct update. I really liked Spinal and can't wait to get around to trying the arcade mode and Fulgore. I'm glad to see Iron Galaxy have been picked up to develop the second "season". Hopefully we'll get a full story mode and the rest of the original cast back.

My one complaint with the system so far is that it seems to download an awful lot of updates but it doesn't do them immediately. I downloaded a huge update for Forza, put the disc in and started the game and was prompted for another 3GB update. At that point I just gave up!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun May 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Crimson Dragon is rubbish - biggest disappointment ever. I love Panzer Dragoon, but this is just boring and dull with loads of in-game purchases.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Wolfenstein and Watchdogs incoming real soon. Can't wait. :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 12, 2014 5:32 pm

I have Titanfall, Ghosts and Kinect rivals (I wanted a reason to use the kinect!), only just played it last night and it seemed fine. I will probably only stick to XBOX exclusives for the machine, where a game is multi format think I'll stick with the PS4.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue May 13, 2014 3:41 am

is anyone else using the game sharing feature? its class!

it basically lets you access another persons download history and download all there games, DLC, season passes etc free of charge, and the other person can do the same with your downloads :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:49 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:is anyone else using the game sharing feature? its class!

it basically lets you access another persons download history and download all there games, DLC, season passes etc free of charge, and the other person can do the same with your downloads :D
I didnt even know it had been implemented. I always thought it was one of the forgotten features after the E3 2013 dust had settled. How do you get it started?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 am

The game share sounds too good to be true and they haven't advertised it, is it some sort of workaround (bearing in mind the 3 copies of Mariokart trick you were trying in the wii-u thread :) )

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 am

The game share thing is apparently all legit and Microsoft are aware of it from the bits I've read on various forums

All you need to do is sign into a friends xbone with your gamer tag then go to the setting and click 'make this my home console' , your friend then does the same on your console and that's it, when you next sign back into your own console you will be able to get anything from there download history :)

Me and a friend have did this and can now both play Titanfall & Killer Instinct together online! It's a quality little feature that is going to cut my xbone gaming bill in half ;)
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 pm

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue May 13, 2014 2:31 pm

I feel bad for people developing Kinect games!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:01 pm

And now follows the ironic backlash to the backlash in which loads of people now list the reasons it is a bad decision to drop the Kinect, that in fact it's quite good and that Microsoft are remarkably stupid for listening to consumers in order to try and improve console sales.