Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 128

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Sorry Mat, that's too retro even for us!
I won't bother pitching a Minority Report Difference Engine Special then! ;)
I guess The Making Of: The Spinning Jenny is out too then :lol:

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Okay, now I know I said that I would refrain from leaving feedback after the 126 thread. But something is bothering me.

I'm struggling to see how this thread, which contains a ruck over pink clothing (yes I contributed before any forum police point it out) is not classed as derailed??

I'm guessing that because it isn't directly associated to the issue it covers that it has been allowed to carry on. Yet constructive but contentious issues in the same vein get classed as trouble making, whingeing, etc etc.
It's odd, it seems that comments such as.."Yes, loved this issue, x and y was great blah de blah, mutual congrats etc" or "This issue didn't tick many boxes for me, but hey ho, can't win them all. Next months will surely be better" are globally accepted. Yet if customers delve deeper than this there seems to be very little tolerance.

Can somebody clear this one up?

Edit: for the record I'm not trying to wind anybody up here, just asking.

Eat your nans pants

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:18 pm

crusto wrote:Okay, now I know I said that I would refrain from leaving feedback after the 126 thread. But something is bothering me.

I'm struggling to see how this thread, which contains a ruck over pink clothing (yes I contributed before any forum police point it out) is not classed as derailed??

I'm guessing that because it isn't directly associated to the issue it covers that it has been allowed to carry on. Yet constructive but contentious issues in the same vein get classed as trouble making, whingeing, etc etc.
It's odd, it seems that comments such as.."Yes, loved this issue, x and y was great blah de blah, mutual congrats etc" or "This issue didn't tick many boxes for me, but hey ho, can't win them all. Next months will surely be better" are globally accepted. Yet if customers delve deeper than this there seems to be very little tolerance.

Come on Crusto, you already know the answer to this, we all know the answer to this one.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Best feedback thread derailment ever.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 pm

crusto wrote:Okay, now I know I said that I would refrain from leaving feedback after the 126 thread. But something is bothering me.

Yeah, not on topic but seems pretty light hearted. No big deal compared to the other feedback thread. People moan if threads get moderated, moan if they don't and throw a hissy fit if a thread gets locked. Feel free to delve deeper with feedback too.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Its a bit of a stretch saying its deeper or constructive criticism, it comes across like whinging in most cases, thats why people get sick of it quickly.

The frequent complaints such as too much Atari/Nintendo or not enough Spectrum/UK content, or that a particular issue is terrible so they are ending their subscription, or that the UK fanbase is the most important so should be pandered too gets old really quick, especially when its made month after month - thats why its so tiresome.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:21 am

Just a little bit of info missing in the Twinkle Star Sprites piece; specifically about the Saturn port. The article mentions slowdown is present however if you complete the game it becomes selectable.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 am

davyK wrote:Just a little bit of info missing in the Twinkle Star Sprites piece; specifically about the Saturn port. The article mentions slowdown is present however if you complete the game it becomes selectable.
My bad DavyK, totally forgot about that. Hopefully it didn't ruin the article for you too much.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:40 am

Picked mine up this morning and had to do a double take when I flicked past the Reader's Revival and noticed that it was mine :mrgreen:

Okay, I wrote it about 3-4 years ago but still, my first in the mag!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:01 am

The Laird wrote:I guess The Making Of: The Spinning Jenny is out too then :lol:
And how about when Ned Ludd got a Dragon 32 for Christmas instead of a Spectrum and it all kicked off...? :lol:

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:15 am

Great issue starting with the awesome cover. Golden Axe, Gameboy & Saturn 25 were the highlights for me. Special mention to the Cheats article which was great but no mention of the Multiface. Enjoyed the Zarch/Lander, Bobby Bearing & Croc too all games that I'd played at the time.

Minor gripe with the Saturn 25 was the annoying circles stuck on top of the screenshots, it almost looks like stickers that you could peel off! They really ruin the whole page of the no.1 game! Perhaps the text could be included as a caption under the screenshot, but never on top of them.

Homebrew - the new look is great, a lot cleaner & neater layed out making is easier to read. Not keen on the italic "fancy" title font though, seems out of sort with the new fresh look. I do like the inclusion of the spectrum and amstrad photos at bottom of the page. (Is there plans for the amstrads 30th?) Not sure about including Flappy Bird games although I am guilty of a Flappy inspired game of my own: Tappy Sheep (iOS free) http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/tappysheep.htm

Overall a lot of great content (Future Classic - still not a fan) and the adverts placement doesn't seem to break up the flow this month. Nice surprise to see CPC content with Roland Perry Moment with... and 80's/90's is always great. (could Movie charts be included?)

Still got the great looking Beat'em-ups article to go..

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:25 am

Eric wrote: Overall a lot of great content (Future Classic - still not a fan) and the adverts placement doesn't seem to break up the flow this month. Nice surprise to see CPC content with Roland Perry Moment with... and 80's/90's is always great. (could Movie charts be included?)

Still got the great looking Beat'em-ups article to go..
I'm a big fan of this feature, but I'd maybe like to see something "less recent" than The Last of Us, it's only months old. Obviously a feature like "Future Classic" is going to feature last gen stuff, but when it's as new and high profile as that it's so fresh in the mind there's no need to really read the article for me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 am

I can't believe I'm going to type this...

I actually don't mind Future Classic being a current game.

RG is the only gaming mag I buy and I largely ignore other sources of gaming news (partly because if I don't know about it, I won't want it and add to my pile of shame). Having a particularly noteworthy game flagged up like this is an indication I ought to get it now while its cheap and not wait until its harder to find. Having one or two games highlighted instead of a mass of them makes purchasing easier and is less of a burden to The Pile. All I know about The Last of Us is that its some sort of apocalypse survival story and some people here said its a bit good. I have no more details than that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I can't believe I'm going to type this...

I actually don't mind Future Classic being a current game.

RG is the only gaming mag I buy and I largely ignore other sources of gaming news (partly because if I don't know about it, I won't want it and add to my pile of shame). Having a particularly noteworthy game flagged up like this is an indication I ought to get it now while its cheap and not wait until its harder to find. Having one or two games highlighted instead of a mass of them makes purchasing easier and is less of a burden to The Pile. All I know about The Last of Us is that its some sort of apocalypse survival story and some people here said its a bit good. I have no more details than that.
ahh mate what a game!! , I mean the storyline, the graphics, the atmosphere is simply something to behold and is so engrossing, if this was a film it would of won an Oscar!!, this is quite buying a ps3 just for this game.

plus the magazine isn't half bad this month either. could of been better in places, but all in all another under the belt ;)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 pm

I think that's a great idea of Erics.
Maybe add a movie chart to Back to the 80s/90s?