Franchises you've given up on(& how they could win you back)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Franchises you've given up on(& how they could win you back)

Post by LAIS » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:20 am

I bought, and quickly traded in Football Manager Classic for the Vita, and I realised I no longer get any fun for the series, which is a sad thing for me as it was such a huge part of my childhood. I didn't think the Vita version was a very good game, and the recent PC iterations have moved far away from being "fun" for me that I just don't play them anymore. I was hoping the Vita version would fill the void, but unfortunately it hasn't.

It's got me wondering, what franchises have you given up on and why, and what would it take to win you back?

For FM, I'd like one of the modes to be a little more loose in how it operates. If I want to start as boss of a small club with a whallopload of cash I can (WITHOUT resorting to microtransactions), and attract the moneygrabbers of this world. If I want to ignore training etc I absolutely can, if I want to edit the Classic mode I can. I'd like less in the way of microtransactions, and more in the way of optional features that are available from the word "go" that make the game more fun to play - if I choose to use them. I want simplification, and the focus to be on an enjoyable management sim, rather than an indepth micromanagement sim.

Trixta

Re: Franchises you've given up on(& how they could win you b

Post by Trixta » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 am

resident evil.

ditch the shitty cover mechanics and go back to being a survival horror game.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:39 am

I'm with you on the football manager rant. For me it was at its best when it was still called championship manager, around the 99-00 era. The downward slide started for me when it became CM4 and was completely re-skinned, the whole thing got too serious and slow. It went from being possible to complete a season in a night or two to a week or two, and the fun slowly fizzled out for me. Don't get me wrong, I still like it and it will still have me addicted quite easily. But it doesn't put my marriage at risk like it used to! Back in 99-00 the series went as deep as I wanted it to, a return to that level would result in me being a day 1 purchaser again. It's far too involved nowadays.

I eventually gave up on the final fantasy series too. For me the series was at its best during the SNES days, and apart from 7 and 9 has been in complete decline ever since. Too much emphasis on the wrong elements, leading to an overly long winded and linear experience. I would love to see the games made how they wre back in '92. But with all the added niceties that today's technology can offer. Failing that, FF7 HD would do quite nicely.

The Zelda series, always loved it, now I won't play because of gimmick control methods. I don't want to wave my wiimote around pretending its a real sword ffs. Why can't Nintendo provide an option of vanilla controls with skyward sword?

The COD series, after MW it was downhill, not enough emphasis on the single player campaign and an online system that rewards you only if you have hundreds of hours to spare. Totally unforgiving for players of a normal skill level who don't want to have to know each map like the back of their hand to avoid being spanked each time they play online.

Just bring back COD 2 and fix the lag issues it had please.
Last edited by crusto on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eat your nans pants

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:43 am

look at it sideways wrote:I bought, and quickly traded in Football Manager Classic for the Vita, and I realised I no longer get any fun for the series, which is a sad thing for me as it was such a huge part of my childhood. I didn't think the Vita version was a very good game, and the recent PC iterations have moved far away from being "fun" for me that I just don't play them anymore. I was hoping the Vita version would fill the void, but unfortunately it hasn't.

It's got me wondering, what franchises have you given up on and why, and what would it take to win you back?

For FM, I'd like one of the modes to be a little more loose in how it operates. If I want to start as boss of a small club with a whallopload of cash I can (WITHOUT resorting to microtransactions), and attract the moneygrabbers of this world. If I want to ignore training etc I absolutely can, if I want to edit the Classic mode I can. I'd like less in the way of microtransactions, and more in the way of optional features that are available from the word "go" that make the game more fun to play - if I choose to use them. I want simplification, and the focus to be on an enjoyable management sim, rather than an indepth micromanagement sim.
i don't know if you have a 3DS, but the recent Nintendo Pocket Football Club is as much a real simulator as Micro Machines, but it's also a lot of fun, try it out

as for franchises, i tend to be really open about them, FM is surely a candidate, the last version i really enjoyed is CM 03/04 (first time with a visual match engine from above)

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:49 am

crusto wrote: I eventually gave up on the final fantasy series too. For me the series was at its best during the SNES days, and apart from 7 and 9 has been in complete decline ever since. Too much emphasis on the wrong elements, leading to an overly long winded and linear experience. I would love to see the games made how they wre back in '92. But with all the added niceties that today's technology can offer. Failing that, FF7 HD would do quite nicely.
I'm with you on Final Fantasy. They nail the visual "wows" these days, but ultimately that doesn't matter if your game isn't any good. A Final Fantasy game used to be a release date purchase for me, but it's lost its way something awful. Final Fantasy VI, VII and IX had the formula nailed, and I sometimes wonder if they'd be best just sticking to that tried and tested JRPG style, with the focus being on story and exploration.

But then, Xenoblade Chronicles showed me that you can update the JRPG style and still produce a fantastic, engrossing game. If Final Fantasy XIII had been THAT I'd have been sold, and it would have been one of the best ever for me.
i don't know if you have a 3DS, but the recent Nintendo Pocket Football Club is as much a real simulator as Micro Machines, but it's also a lot of fun, try it out
I do actually, I'll need to check that out, thanks!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 am

^ If you and Crusto have 3DS, you should consider giving Bravely Default a try, feels decidely old-school and is a lot of fun to play.

Not sure I'd say I've given up on it but I really do want the new Doom to return to its roots. Whilst Doom 3 wasn't bad at all, it just seemed a little too keen to feel like a modern shooter, when all I want is non-stop action and huge maps. And guns that don't feel like peashooters.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:27 pm

I think I may have given up on the battlefield series ,at least for now. how can they win me back? making sure the games they put out in the future isn't full of bugs! and as sad as it is to say this I probably won't be buying more games by bethesda until they also improve their bug squashing!

as for final fantasy, I think personally on the whole jrpg's need to be reinvented and adapted. there is a reason why western rpgs are more popular now, among many things its due to them adapting and changing while the jrpg scene in general has remained quite stagnant. I saw a good discussion on this a little while back (skip a little way in to hear the discussion)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEcvRSfOaUM

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Resident Evil I'd agree with. I haven't played 6 yet so I won't go and declare it to be "crap" but from what I've seen and the ridiculous continuation of a storyline/characters that should have been replaced by now, I'm not interested. Maybe when it's sub-£5 to pick up.

Final Fantasy also hasn't interested me for a while now. I haven't played anything post FF IX but the XIII series of games doesn't sell itself to me purely on the design of the characters and gameplay that I have seen. Hopefully I can find something to like when I get around to the games since the PS1 games are some of my favourite of all-time and the earlier titles are brilliant too.

I'd also have to add Spyro and Crash to the list too. Spyro is pretty much dead now that Skylanders has taken over 50% of GAMEs' stores and Crash has been crap since the end of the 32bit era. Both franchises need the original developers/teams and games made in the style of the PS1 games to even stand a chance of appealing to me ever again but there's more chance of getting struck by lightning 5 times in a row than that.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Stopped caring for CoD after 4. But I moved on to more tactical shooters like Arma and Red Orcestra so it's not really a loss for me.

Stopped caring for NFS after Hot Pursuit 2. Moved on to other racers so it's not a huge loss either (although I'd like to see another racer in the vein of NFS 1 & Porsche).

Stopped caring for Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon after Vegas and Advanced Warfighter. Close quarters tactical shooters are a rarity these days so it's kinda a loss.

Stopped caring for Rare to make another good franchise revival or new IP. Although I assume this is MS' fault, I really can't feel any enthusiasm in that direction. Even the new KI was made by a different group.

Starting to not care anymore for Half-Life 3 and the new Doom. This may be sad to say but I feel neither game will live up to expectations.

Not really caring for The Last Guardian, Beyond Good & Evil 2. It's just "vapourware" at this point, imho.

I also gave-up hope that we'll ever see continuations of unique games like Sacrifice, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, MDK, Messiah, Eathworm Jim, Black & White, Magic Carpet, or stealthy shooters like Noone Lives Forever, Project IGI, XIII, ect.

Or that Sega and Nintendo would deliver new, high-quality reboots or continuations of franchises like Space Harrier, OutRun, Streets of Rage, Sonic (yeah, Sonic is on the list too :wink: ), Shinobi, Golden Axe, Shenmue, F-Zero, Star Fox, Pilotwings, Wave Race, 1080 Boarding, ect.

However, in the last case I blame today's market rather than the publisher.

EDIT: adding Legacy of Kain series to the list too. A new high-quality LoK game would excite me more than games ripping-off the Dark Souls games or the n-th Tomb Raider game.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:12 pm

^ I would love to see a brand new entry in the Phantasy Star series, with a HD remake of the original thrown in to introduce newcomers to the series.

Eat your nans pants

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Phantasy Star, if it went back to its JRPG roots and ditched the MMO aspects.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Naturally. Phantasy Star 4 was excellent, the best of the bunch arguably. And then Sega go and change the formula. Perhaps it came along too late in the MD's life to make the impact that it should have done.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Turned off C&C/Red Alert as soon as it moved into 3D. Judging by it's absence since, it seems that others agree.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm

I used to love football manager, the last one I really enjoyed was actually fm 2007 on 360. Just the right level of depth and complexity whilst still being easy to pick up and play.

Later versions on pc are too slow and dull for me, especially the bit where you have to have really drawn out and boring staff meetings before each match, you need to choose a sentence from several on offer like a 1990's point and click adventure.

I would go back if simplified the layout and made it possible to opt out of the non football stuff. I have tried the classic mode but I find the interface too weird.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 pm

errolwd40 wrote:I used to love football manager, the last one I really enjoyed was actually fm 2007 on 360. Just the right level of depth and complexity whilst still being easy to pick up and play.

Later versions on pc are too slow and dull for me, especially the bit where you have to have really drawn out and boring staff meetings before each match, you need to choose a sentence from several on offer like a 1990's point and click adventure.

I would go back if simplified the layout and made it possible to opt out of the non football stuff. I have tried the classic mode but I find the interface too weird.
That's why I liked previous iterations of the handheld game. My main problem had been that it could be slightly unrealistic (Kris Boyd to Chelsea...? Jamie Langfield to Liverpool?), and couldn't manage multiple leagues. I thought the Vita could iron out these problems, but a conversion of the "Classic" mode just doesn't work in my opinion. I hope they take a step back release something more simplified for the Vita next year, with enough realism to be enjoyable, but with the emphasis firmly on fun, and a layout closer to the other handheld games.

Or heck, reskin CM 01/02, update the leagues and shove it out there for us all to enjoy.
^ If you and Crusto have 3DS, you should consider giving Bravely Default a try, feels decidely old-school and is a lot of fun to play.
Found the story a little lacking, I've realised that I need a good one to enjoy a JRPG, it's not just the mechanics that I like. Does what it does pretty well though gameplay wise.