Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Combo-Breaker

Any fans of "The Viz" on here?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Favourite characters if so?

Antiriad2097

Re: Any fans of "The Viz" on here?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm surprised the owners of Viz the comic haven't sued the people making 'The Viz' ;)

Not read it in years, but Finbar Saunders is legendary, with the Postie being a personal fave. Sid the Sexist never fails to amuse either.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Not as funny as it used to be :)

I always liked roger mellie.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Last Viz related thing i clapped eyes on, was the Game (on ST i think) and that was years ago, no..tell a lie i was given 2 Viz DVD's.Fat Slags and Roger what's his face (man on tellie) gave'em away after viewing mind.

Used to pick up the comic years ago on the off, never a regular reader mind.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:31 pm

I tend to just buy the compilation annuals these days, The Works sell them cheap and you don't get any of the crap. I also have the Das Krapital edition of the Profanisaurus, the Top Tips book and the Roger Mellie DVD.

Favourite strips not already mentioned:
Johnny Fartpants
Billy the Fish
Tinribs
8 Ace
Terry F***wit

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 am

Read it as a student, but not lately. Some of it was funny. I particularly liked the one-off parodies of celebrities and TV shows.
And the spoofs of other comics little-boy-fantasies or flat-out unlikelihood like Gilbert Ratchet, Tinribs, Suicidal Sid, etc. And of course Mickey's Monkey-Sp*nk Moped.

The tragic nature of strips like Biffa Bacon coming from an abusive family is a nice touch, but I don't find it funny. Nor the really revolting stuff like 8-Ace and Fru T. Bunn. Fat Slags can be a bit too much, but I reckon Sid the Sexist is consistently good.

Profanisaurus is hilarious too, but it's got so big now they leave out loads of terms in the print editions so that the old chains of cross-references you used to find are broken.

Best strip ever had to be the tribute to Ronnie Barker.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Probably my favourite comic in history, overall... An auntie used to read it to us when we were youngsters, but changed the odd swear-word (so "Spoilt Bstard" became "Spoilt Brat" and so on), and I've been buying more or less every issue since 1999. Got all of the annuals too :D

Hard to pick a favourite character, but Terry Fuckwitt's a strong contender for it. Those stories started out as just your general "idiot" character, but soon developed into something genuinely surreal. My favourite "one-off" character would be the one that got DC Thomson very upset, this one being right on the front cover!

Shameless-plugging here, but for the past two years I've been doing a "Top-Whatever" round-up of the year's best Viz things -

2012: http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk ... thing.html

2013: http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk ... hings.html

So if you haven't read it for a few years, that's what it's like nowadays.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Terry Fuckwitt and Roger Irrelevant were easily my favourite characters.
Splink!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27 am

Mr Logic and Finbar Saunders for me.

Strangely I havent read Viz for a good few years now yet the missus bought me the latest annual for Christmas. While it isnt a bad read 'It aint as good as it used to be'. Or am I just getting old?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Not read it in years had some friends who would lend me it, did pick some annuals up in the charity shop of early issue's.. NOt funny these days political correctness won out

Nobby Piles was hilarious
Roger Irrelevant
Desperate Dan or whatever he was called in the Viz
Postman Plod

Quite a few that where wrong (not politically correct) any idea what these where called?
Charles and Fred they make women dead Charles Mansion and Fred West
Rat wearing a cap and tracksuit, he used to rob everybody and spend the money on drugs, and spoke in text speak/F wit.. Always ended with somebody saying your infringing that scumbags uman rights and he'd get sent on Holiday to Disneyland as punishment..
That Victorian robot pimp/Jack the Ripper that used to beat the woman up, or slash random women with a Knife
Victorian Gentleman always used to unstrap his belt and beat his kids as he said they where evil

Hated the fat slags to rude, also hated Fruity Bun who used to pump Gingerbread women and Billy the Fish not even funny
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Well, your Victorian strip was just called 'Victorian Dad'. I can't identify the rest of your unknowns, I assume they're from a later period in its life than when I read it. Shame, as some of them sound quite funny.

I'm really surprised at a Viz reader finding the content 'too rude' though. That was rather the point half the time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Shinobi wrote: Rat wearing a cap and tracksuit, he used to rob everybody and spend the money on drugs, and spoke in text speak/F wit.. Always ended with somebody saying your infringing that scumbags uman rights and he'd get sent on Holiday to Disneyland as punishment..
The rat in the tracksuit is Rat Boy, initially introduced as Tasha Slappa's younger brother. As for Desperate Dan... Hmm! There was a one-off thing, years and years and years ago, called Desperately Unfunny Dan, but that's all I can think of there.

Harold and Fred (They make women dead) is about Harold Shipman and Fred West living next door to each other, both trying to beat the other one at murdering the new woman on the street. Davey Jones (the artist) does LOADS of strips like this, in the style of the old Radio Fun-type comics.

There's a running joke of Billy The Fish not being funny - even back in the 1980s it was only intended as a page filler. If you take the time to read it though, it's amazingly absurd. All sorts of odd cliffhangers are explained away in ridiculous ways (for example, the team are taking a bath when they notice a shark in the water - it turns out to be a harmless nurse shark). The Viz team know that no-one reads Billy the Fish, so they make it as stupid as possible.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

PeeJay1980

Post by PeeJay1980 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 am

I was never a fan of Billy the Fish, and I agree, it was filler for Viz. That said it did go on to spawn a TV series which I was surprised about.

http://youtu.be/AUP57p2Q_Uc

urbanupstart

Post by urbanupstart » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm

felgekarp wrote:Terry Fuckwitt and Roger Irrelevant were easily my favourite characters.
Lol, seconded. 'Stop that lobster!'

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:43 am

My favourites are Meddlesome Ratbag and The Modern Parents. Some of the old Sid the Sexist strips are hilarious also.