What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 am

Caught up with Walking Dead, one more episode of the season left.

Really enjoyed this one, far better than the boring season when theyre stuck on the farm. Should be a good ending i hope

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 pm

I started on the fifth season of Babylon 5. It's okay so far- but not up to the quality of season 4. That being said, there were one or two episodes that did standout, from what I have seen. I suspect that there is going to be another big battle in this season.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I started on the fifth season of Babylon 5. It's okay so far- but not up to the quality of season 4. That being said, there were one or two episodes that did standout, from what I have seen. I suspect that there is going to be another big battle in this season.
Wait till the end

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 am

markopoloman wrote:Snowpiercer

An interesting idea for a film - last humans are all on a train that doesn't stop, ever. It's a long train full of odd people. Completely nuts in places and I have to admit that I enjoyed it in a really strange way :?

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but it has a really censored ending. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooops!
Never heard of that, but you've sold it to me - it's one I'll be looking for :D

We watched Three Amigos last night, first time I'd seen it since 1993 (or thereabouts). I miss Steve Martin and Chevy Chase (and Martin Short a bit). SPOILER:The singing tortoise bit was good.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:12 am

Rick and Morty -
Could it be a all time great?
Rick at breakfast table tinkering
Makes a little robot
Robot says "Whats my purpose?"
Rick "Fetch me the butter"
"Whats my purpose?"
"I already told you, to fetch butter"
Robot looks at its hands "Oh my god"
"Yeah welcome to the club pal"

Kill la kill 24 - Total nonsnesecal ending to a series that seemed to of lost the plot after the first episode

Breaking bad season 5, nearly there, every things tying up

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:19 pm

A Good Day to Die Hard - put simply, this is not a Die Hard film. It's Bruce Willis' character from The Expendables running around with God Mode turned on. I know Die Hard films have always had massive stunts but the whole point was McClane was always the underdog who kept being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting back up after having the crap beaten out of him. Here he travels to Russia to find his son (and for some reason the running gag is him shouting "I'm on vacation" when that is not the reason for his trip) and goes through countless injuries that would kill anyone with barely a scratch and also manages to walk around Chernobyl without any form of radiation suit.

The editing was also utterly awful and it wasn't clear what was even happening half the time. Where he jumps the G-Wagen is a great example - the bridge changes in every shot. Also, did anyone else notice that right afterwards he kills a number of innocent motorists by driving over them? What a hero!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 am

New Robocop. Exactly what I expected, meh meh popcorn crap.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:34 am

Last night's trilogy:

-Lord of the Flies (1990) - I was younger than the kids in this film last time I saw it, forgot how horrifying the whole thing is, whoops.

-Masters of the Universe (1987) - Never seen this, somehow. Surprisingly hilarious!

-The Blob (1988) - Best film I've seen in a long time, a 10-year-old gets melted, hahaha!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Machete Kills - Absolutely amazing and even better than the original. The next one looks like it'll be insane!
Negative Creep wrote:A Good Day to Die Hard - put simply, this is not a Die Hard film. It's Bruce Willis' character from The Expendables running around with God Mode turned on. I know Die Hard films have always had massive stunts but the whole point was McClane was always the underdog who kept being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting back up after having the crap beaten out of him. Here he travels to Russia to find his son (and for some reason the running gag is him shouting "I'm on vacation" when that is not the reason for his trip) and goes through countless injuries that would kill anyone with barely a scratch and also manages to walk around Chernobyl without any form of radiation suit.

The editing was also utterly awful and it wasn't clear what was even happening half the time. Where he jumps the G-Wagen is a great example - the bridge changes in every shot. Also, did anyone else notice that right afterwards he kills a number of innocent motorists by driving over them? What a hero!
Yeah, I wasn't a fan either. I watched it and felt like it was an 'okay' action movie but in no way was it a Die Hard movie.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Last night's trilogy:

-Lord of the Flies (1990) - I was younger than the kids in this film last time I saw it, forgot how horrifying the whole thing is, whoops.

-Masters of the Universe (1987) - Never seen this, somehow. Surprisingly hilarious!

-The Blob (1988) - Best film I've seen in a long time, a 10-year-old gets melted, hahaha!
Demons 2 also features a 10 year old kid who gets melted by slime.. He's crying outside the woman's door she lets him in and he precedes to rip his own face off showing the Monster face underneath, she precedes to smash his head into the wall.. The Italians are mental I've never seen kids killed in a film, until I watched some of Lucio Fulci films like the Beyond and the House by the Cemetery.. Never get around the censors with half of what he did these days
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Watched a few Horror films with a friend who likes his Horror

Evil Laugh the killers laugh is infuriating and some kids gets his head put in a microwave and melted with the door open.. Hated all the people and the dumbest cop ever unusual in having a slasher with a female killer..

Nightmare Planet like a cross between Prometheus and Alien vs Predator but better then both, and a woman gets raped by a worm/Caterpillar or something.. It actually credits Ridley Scott as the Director

Sleepaway Camp 1 brilliant and the most distrubing ending i've ever seen in a film, evil!!

Also been watching Arrrow season 2 and well and truly fed up with it now, the incredibly drawn out Slade becoming Deathstroke.. When he finally puts the mask on you hardly see him.. Same with Brother Blood, Dark Archer, Solomon Grundy and Flash they've forgot all about them, so many faults I can find with the series

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Nightmare Planet like a cross between Prometheus and Alien vs Predator but better then both, and a woman gets raped by a worm/Caterpillar or something.. It actually credits Ridley Scott as the director
Sounds alot like Galaxy Of Terror from 1980. A really awful film that's surprisingly enjoyable.....in a sh1t kind of way. That had a bird who got raped by a worm that grew in size. It was hilariously badly pulled off. Could have been terrifying, but was really stupidly funny.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:45 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Nightmare Planet like a cross between Prometheus and Alien vs Predator but better then both, and a woman gets raped by a worm/Caterpillar or something.. It actually credits Ridley Scott as the director
Sounds alot like Galaxy Of Terror from 1980. A really awful film that's surprisingly enjoyable.....in a sh1t kind of way. That had a bird who got raped by a worm that grew in size. It was hilariously badly pulled off. Could have been terrifying, but was really stupidly funny.
That's the one Galaxy of Terror the site that I saw it advertised called it Nightmare Planet though the film clearly states Galaxy of Terror.. The worm grows from the big guys arm after he cuts it off, when that pointy star like weapon snaps and goes under his skin.. Bird burns the body but misses the worm, was quite shocked by that scene obviously the things I thought where legs where something else :oops: :lol: ! Good that Freddy Kruger 'Robert England' was on there..

I just don't get the ending though?

Edit I'm trying to post the site for you it has a few hundred 80's horror films like Galaxy of Terror and Life-force but I keep getting the forbidden

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:03 pm

More of season 5 of Babylon 5. I'm just thinking - that's a lot of 5s there! :lol: I'm up to episode 8 so far.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Thor: The Dark World, bit silly but good fun!