Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm

I've recently had a couple of ales from Marks and Spencers - and I noticed that the Norfolk IPA was brewed for them by Adnams. Cheeky Marks and Spencers!

I have recently tried some of the Wantsum Brewery's stout - it's called "Goliath" - and it's pretty good!

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Drinking a very nice pint of Organ Morgan by Brains.

£1 a bottle in B&M...can't complain about that!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Any good?

I'm drinking Brains beer tonight... although not standard Brains. Boilermaker from Brains Craft Brewery! 6.5%

Boilermaker is a copper-coloured IPA brewed with Ben and Tom from Thinking Drinkers. Brewed with Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade and Willamette hops and matured with Penderyn whisky infused oak chips in casks from the distillery, the arts of distillation and brewing combine to create an epic Welsh IPA adorned with a fragrant citrus aroma, a touch of spice with hints of vanilla and a warm whisky finish.

It is... really bloody good! :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:04 pm

markopoloman wrote:Any good?

I'm drinking Brains beer tonight... although not standard Brains. Boilermaker from Brains Craft Brewery! 6.5%

Boilermaker is a copper-coloured IPA brewed with Ben and Tom from Thinking Drinkers. Brewed with Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade and Willamette hops and matured with Penderyn whisky infused oak chips in casks from the distillery, the arts of distillation and brewing combine to create an epic Welsh IPA adorned with a fragrant citrus aroma, a touch of spice with hints of vanilla and a warm whisky finish.

It is... really bloody good! :mrgreen:
It's not bad, quite enjoyed it!

Now I'm polishing off the last of the Bah Humbug from Wychwood. :D :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:40 pm

I've got an amazing ale on the bar at the mo. It's called 'Sign of Spring' by Stonehenge Brewery (4.6%)... the thing is, it is GREEN. There are some very strange looks from the punters when they ask for a pint and this bright green beer is put in front of them :lol: Very tasty indeed.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27 pm

markopoloman wrote:I've got an amazing ale on the bar at the mo. It's called 'Sign of Spring' by Stonehenge Brewery (4.6%)... the thing is, it is GREEN. There are some very strange looks from the punters when they ask for a pint and this bright green beer is put in front of them :lol: Very tasty indeed.

Ye - MPM - you got it in. A shame that I can't visit your bar. Maybe I will one of these days.

Anyway, lately I have been trying Gadd's new beer - its called : "Magical Mystery Mild". It's got a mystery ingredient. They are running a promotion - and if you drink 10 pints - then you can visit the brewery's shop and enter their Lucky Dip for a prize. I collecting the tokens at the moment.

WHOOPS - I nearly forgot to comment on the actual beer! Here goes, it's ABV 4%, it dark brow in colour, very smooth and has a mild orange aftertaste. It quite nice - and I've got to say very easy to drink a lot of it - which with the current promotion might be a good thing! :wink: :lol:

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Im on Adnams Broadside again. 2 for £3 in Waitrose

Missus has taken a liking to Pear cider and enjoys Westons Vintage Perry (7% I think) and also Westons Vintage Cider 8.2% :shock:

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:21 am

Popped into my local on the way home from badminton, and found out they were now using polybags for all their ale - apparently it lasts for 2 months before going off!!!

Tasted absolutely the same, and they were getting it from microbreweries. Had 6 unusual guest beers on, plus Doom Bar.

Had a pint of Moon Frost, and a Silver Fox - both golden ale - both very unusual!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:48 am

Is that Silver Fox from Exmoor Ales?

I've just put Pigswill on the bar! Quite nice too... from Stonehenge Brewery.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 am

markopoloman wrote:Is that Silver Fox from Exmoor Ales?

I've just put Pigswill on the bar! Quite nice too... from Stonehenge Brewery.

Afraid not. It was a microbrewery from Norfolk.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 pm

I am currently drinking Badger's First Gold Ale. It's made using just one variety of hop. Very smooth and a crisp flavour. 4% ABV.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I am currently drinking Badger's First Gold Ale. It's made using just one variety of hop. Very smooth and a crisp flavour. 4% ABV.
Hall&shithouse! :x (actually, they do have some quite nice bottled stuff - mainly the Poachers Choice). But wouldn't have their ale on my bar as my punters would stone me :lol:

I'm drinking Shipyard IPA - American Craft Ale (imported by Marston's!!!) 5.8% and it is pretty good too.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Can of Courage's Directors. Not bad. B&Ms have them 4 cans (500ml) for £3. Bargain.

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm

on the broadside tonight, 4 for £6 at tescos (if they have any), ever since going to the adnams brewery, ive been addicted to the stuff
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:06 am

martin_lovick wrote:on the broadside tonight, 4 for £6 at tescos (if they have any), ever since going to the adnams brewery, ive been addicted to the stuff
You and me both :D I love trying new ales all the time, but if ever I buy a selection there is always a Broadside in there as my 'safety beer' :lol: