Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am

Going back several posts, and mentioning the real ale type lagers - I tried another one last night. It was from St. Peter's Brewery. It's just called St. Peter's English Lager. I didn't bother putting it in the fridge, had it served at room temperature. It's light yellow in colour and has an ABV of 5.2%. It was very nice - had a thing that is rather uncommon in a lot of lager - flavour!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I got my son a part time job in a brewery :mrgreen: This brewery is going to produce a lager for me in the next few weeks! Fingers crossed its nice and flavorsome..
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:22 pm

markopoloman wrote:I got my son a part time job in a brewery :mrgreen: This brewery is going to produce a lager for me in the next few weeks! Fingers crossed its nice and flavorsome..
Maybe they will name it "Markopoloman's English Lager"? :D

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Ale or lager?

Nahh, Imperial stouts and porters all the way for me. :P
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Ive been off work for a week but my boss informed me he has ordered in some new ales for me from the Wychwood Brewery. I think they're called

Dr Thirsty, Imperial Red and Black Wytch. Mainly interested in the last one as its described as a porter. Only really like King Goblin from them now but hopefully these will be nice

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Sokurah wrote:Ale or lager?

Nahh, Imperial stouts and porters all the way for me. :P
Imperial stouts and porters are my favourite ales. I've got a Strong Stout on the bar at the mo from Revolution Brewing Co. Called Manifesto and it is 6%. Tastes fantastic :D

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Got 8 cans of 'Galereux' from Lidl earlier, their red/white Stella imitation, £2.99 for 4x440ml cans. Gave me *proper* acid, tastes proper sh!t, too, but not sh!t in the same way Stella does, that tastes like heavy swamp farts, this just feels like bad sherbet crossed with battery acids. Stella wins here, British-brewed Stella is terrible, Lidl *deffo* SHOULD have an easy win here, yet fluffed it, teh basts.

Wish they'd f*ckin bring back the green/brown 330ml bottle packs of Fink Brau, gorgeous it was, been over two years since it got discontinued, sob. :(

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:12 pm

That was a nice find at Tesco tonight! Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Finish 7.4% Stout.

Very very nice indeed :D (4 for £6.00)

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Mayflower Brewery's(up in Lancashire) Stout. It's meant to have a slight smokiness to it, but I couldn't detect it. It reasonable for a real ale stout - but I have tasted better.

I have also just opened a bottle of Adnam's Gunhill - 4% ABV - a red ruby coloured ale, which has a sort of bitter aftertaste and biscuity flavour. Really nice. It's not one that I had heard of before from Adnams. According to Adnam's website, it's fairly new - as it was brewed for the first time in 2008. Apparently you can get it from the cask in February, March and April.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Yeah, Gunhill is ok - have had it on the bar.

Still into my Russian Imperial Stout 10% - and still have about 18 bottles left :D

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:27 am

markopoloman wrote:Yeah, Gunhill is ok - have had it on the bar.

Still into my Russian Imperial Stout 10% - and still have about 18 bottles left :D
Not a fan of Gunhill. Broadside is where its at :wink: I still have 1 bottle of Russian Stout left after the 10 I bought. Been saving it seeing as I wont be able to buy anymore after that one.

Last night i tried 2 of the new Wychwood Ales. Imperial Red (Ruby Beer) & Black Wych (Porter). I wouldnt bother with them. Fairly bland in taste. Imperial Red taste like a watered down Hobgoblin.

On another note, Oakham Ales are 20% off in Waitrose. Got a bottle of Citra tonight and had a Scarlet Macaw the other night.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 am

If you get a chance to get over to Home Bargains (on the same trading estate as Homebase in Branksome), they have Saddlers 'Mud City Stout' 6.6% for £1.40 - and it is really really good!

How much is the ale in waitrose? Everything just seems really highly priced compared to the other big shops...

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:13 am

I think Scarlet was £1.74 and Citra was £1.57 (I think)

They rarely have any decent deals although sometimes they do 10 % off on all ales with a waitrose card. Its the only place i can find Fullers Golden Pride and London Porter although they are pricey

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Golden Pride is at Sainsburys (Alder Road) but is £3.05 a bottle!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:05 am

About the same in Waitrose. I always pick it up when they do 10% off though.

Wychwoods other new'un is Dr Thirsty's Blond Beer. Not a fan of blond beer anyway so dont think I'll bother. I think I may be buying in some new ones at work this week. Some new ones available to us so will get some more variety in