What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Drisk

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Drisk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:55 pm

For me it was Whizzer and Chips (Still have every annual on my shelf).. I used to love Sweeney Toddler that started out on Whoopee! and went across to Whizzer and Chips later on. The Big Comic Annuals were great as well as it would take the best of all the Fleetway comic books. Tom Patterson is by far my favourite cartoonist back in the day (http://tompatersoncartoons.x10.mx/) he did Sweeney Toddler ain the Whizzer and Chips days and went on to do great work for the Beano as well... You can always tell a Tom Patterson cartoon as every inch of each frame is bursting with humour.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 am

Agreed, Tom Paterson is the king :D

F-Secure doesn't seem to like his site though, which is a bit odd - says it's "harmful" :?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Agreed on Tom Paterson. Calamity James was always the first one I'd try to find in a new issue of the Beano. On the rare occasion that it wasn't in there...disaster!

Shame I had no room to keep my old comics and annuals but I wish that someone, somewhere would commission some sort of 'collected works' of Tom Paterson...maybe everything he has done spread across a few books :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 pm

That'd be a LOT of books - he's worked more or less continuously, every week, since the beginning of the 1980s, doing stuff for Buster, the Beano, the Dandy, the Topper, the Beezer, Whizzer and Chips, Oink... He was even in the Xmas 2013 issue of Viz!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:51 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:That'd be a LOT of books
Try telling me you wouldn't buy them :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 pm

I actually had the Beano with Calamity James' first appearance in it.
Long since disappeared though. :(

The little squelchy thingies were perhaps my favourite bits in any comic ever.

Mentski

Post by Mentski » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Who can ever forget Tom Paterson's sock?
A beard with an idiot hanging off it, Writes about videogames when the apathy isn't kicking in.
http://www.rosetintedgamers.com - http://www.youtube.com/mentski

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 pm

He even made it a part of the story (sort of) in this one:

PeeJay1980

Post by PeeJay1980 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 pm

I was an avid Beano reader until I found Whizzer & Chips, which then led me to Buster. I always preferred the underdogs of comics, Topper, Beezer etc. I had a few annuals I used to find in jumble sales, Monster Fun being my fav!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm

You'd like this blog here:
http://kazoop.blogspot.co.uk/

He's covering EVERYTHING to do with Monster Fun - worth reading through the whole thing, he's already covered Cor! and Shiver & Shake incredibly deeply.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:55 am

I read the Beano and Dandy, occasionally Buster and I also regularly bought Sonic The Comic. As far as STC goes, I wasn't really a fan of the more comedy orientated Lew Stringer scripts, but I really enjoyed what Nigel Kitching produced. I'm not sure what I'd think of it now, but it all felt very epic when I was younger and I loved this "darker" take on the Sonic franchise.

I also bought something called Captain Cosmic, which was very puzzle orientated and great for competitions. When I was going on holiday I'd be sure to pick up Quiz Kids to keep me occupied.

Not so much a comic, but magazine wise I used to buy Wally's History of the World mainly because I liked the Where's Wally puzzles, and was finished with the books, and Planet PC for the cover disks. Pretty sure Earthworm Jim came free with it one month, which was pretty awesome

Finally, I'd get The Broons and Oor Wullie books every year.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

Beano and Dandy! :lol:

PAC

Post by PAC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:34 pm

There's a quite brilliant exhibition opening at the British Library next week,, 'Comics Unmasked'. I know the curator and it will be well worth a visit for anyone in London, or even further afield !

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:37 pm

I was planning on going to a few of those talks, but have just had to cancel my trip to London due to insufficient funds, bah :(

Do you know if any of them will be filmed for the likes of YouTube and whatever?

PAC

Post by PAC » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Will drop them a line tomorrow.. Quite a few have already sold out !