The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Mire Mare

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Jets fan eh, pac? That makes 2 of us on here then :)

PAC

Post by PAC » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:58 pm

Ah, always good to know a fellow sufferer !!

We 'll have to toast our men, before the main event tomorrow evening. If you checked the preview with the Sky team in a Times Square earlier tonight,, how cold did hatless Jeff look !!!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 am

Unbelievable start! The first play set the tone for the whole first half. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I hope the Broncos can make a game of this in the second half!

Half time was as awful as ever....

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:34 am

FFS! First play of second half and 7 more points for Seattle!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:23 am

Never saw this coming. But as they say defenses win championships

Can't believe it. I know seattles a top team but I still can't believe it. Everything's gone their way today.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:39 am

Well the morning after and i still cant believe what happened last night.

I do hope Manning doesnt get the usual OTT grief about his playoff record etc, yeah he didnt play well, the o-line didnt, the defense didnt, the rushing game didnt etc. Team played poorly.

I mean everything went wrong for Denver, Seattle got great catches (not Denver), the ball bounced their way, fumbles/ints etc, perfect game for Seattle.

Troy Aikman said it, he gets annoyed when people say Wilson is a clock management type of QB. I must admit i still cant get excited by Wilson, but he makes the key throws when needed but it was mostly dink and dunk last night but at the end of the day hes got the ring.

Percy Harvin - cost them a ton in FA and then he gets injured but at the end of the day great move not to put him on IR, that one game alone was worth it.

Now its the offseason, hope the other teams tear Seattles roster apart as they have a fair few FA's ;)

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 pm

A fantastic performance from the whole Seahawks team, built on a strong defence and a very balanced offence. Love the reverse play to Harvin too, they got first downs with it easily.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Yep, Seattle were excellent in every area through offence, defence and special teams. Denver could not get going because of their own mistakes that Seattle capitalised on every time and, plain and simply, because Seattle just wouldn't let them. Amazing performance and credit to the whole team.

I do feel for Manning though. His post season record is going to thoroughly picked apart and if he never gets another ring this kind of performance will be quite a shadow on NFL career.

PAC

Post by PAC » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 pm

True enough. By no means the game I was hoping for but something quite touching and special about the Seattle came up together and won as a team. Denver had nothing last night, nothing.

Now then,, here we go,, 32 Organisations, Ready To Go At It Again !

Go Jets.

Please !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 am

Mire Mare wrote:I do feel for Manning though. His post season record is going to thoroughly picked apart and if he never gets another ring this kind of performance will be quite a shadow on NFL career.
Yeah i must admit i'm a big Manning fan. Used to get annoyed years back with all the kids going on about hes a choker etc. Some of his past playoff losses included an overtime loss to Miami (Lamar Smith- had 200+ yards rushing - not exactly Peytons fault) and meeting one of the top teams in NE. A missed Vandjaght FG as well etc yet of course Manning gets all the blame !

The Superbowl wasnt Peytons fault, it was all areas, no rushing attack, o-line played poorly, Mannings WR's (Apart from Thomas) dropped passes, Peyton was poor, defense couldnt stop 3rd downs etc, yet Peyton gets the blame !

Hes an exceptional QB and will retire as possibly the best of all time. I dont rate John Fox, average coach, only got to the SB due to Mannings exceptional regular season wasnt because Fox is one of the great coaches etc. Second Manning retires Fox will look very very average

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Seattle's defence hit them , and hit them hard; they simply weren't used to that level of intensity. Fully expect Seattle to be back there next year, don't think the Broncos will be though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:56 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Seattle's defence hit them , and hit them hard; they simply weren't used to that level of intensity. Fully expect Seattle to be back there next year, don't think the Broncos will be though
Yeah Seattle are a young team and that homefield advantage they've got is huge. Going to be great seeing Seattle/San Francisco battles for the next few years, its a tough division, Arizona arent a bad team either, the Rams could be an up and coming team as well

I reckon Denver will be back as its a weak AFC West, Manning set an NFL record for td's, granted they were dire in the SB but they'll be back next year as long as Manning is healthy. They badly need a decent RB though, can imagine they'll pick up the Raiders Darren McFadden as he'll be a FA. If Denver get a 1200+ yard rusher they'll be even better. Plus Von Miller will be back for 16 games. God i hate sticking up for Denver

On the other hand you may be totally right, every year theres a fair chunk of non playoff teams who were 5-11 the year before then go 11-5 and surprise us all

In the old days if a team was 11-5 the year before they often had 5-6 years of being dominant, now in the free agency era of the NFL its near impossible to predict the playoff teams. Just wish my team (Raiders) will be one of those surprise playoff teams one day !

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Saw this and thought of you, psj!

:lol: 8)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Ha ha very cool!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:44 am

Well its been a while !

The Raiders after so many crap years i feel have turned a huge corner. 2nd year QB Derek Carr threw 31 td's, this year they've added much more all over the team in free agency, VERY happy with all their signings. I firmly believe its playoffs this year

The Jets are playing hardball with Fitzpatrick, he had a huge year for the Jets but hes mostly been a journeyman and no way is he worth crazy money. He earnt a fortune in Buffalo, how much money do these players want !

With Kap 'perhaps' going to Denver Fitzpatrick will have to go back to the Jets if he wants to start

But its amazing how things change, a few years back it was rumoured Al would draft Kapernick, the 49ers gazzumped the Raiders and then i have to sit and watch as he plays well and a year or so later takes the Niners to the Superbowl. Gutted

Then what happens, the Raiders draft Derek Carr, now RG III and Kap's careers go badly wrong and Carr is a star. Amazing turnaround

if the Raiders stay injury free and pick up a decent HB to go along with Murray its playoffs for sure. The o-line on paper is amazing, the Wr's are fine, the defense has had some great additions (Recently Reggie Nelson signed at safety). I'm happy as hell, plus Reggie hasnt messed up the cap for future years as Mack/Carr will cost a ton in the future.

But missing the NFL but its the draft end of this month and then soon after the offseason.