From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: From the forum issue 126 - Favourite isometric games

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:16 am

It's far from free roaming considering you have locate the switches to open up different parts of each stage. But there we go, I have no wish to get in another argument.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:39 am

The Laird wrote:It's far from free roaming considering you have locate the switches to open up different parts of each stage. But there we go, I have no wish to get in another argument.
Yes Laird, just like you do in Gauntlet and numerous other games of this this type, your progress is stopped by barriers you need to find switches for or blow things up to proceed further, that does'nt mean your not free to roam where you like until you reach these obstacles,your not put on a forced path, i as the player, are free to go in direction i want, when i want, thus i can roam freely,it's the very exploration element that makes it free-roaming nor does it make it any less of a shooter, which was the original point.Some list it as Maze, others arcade-action etc, think CU Amiga review put it best 'EFPOTRM is a 'make no bones about it' shoot-em-up.

Or Zero with the PC review....'Fun is certainly the key element to this cartoony shoot-em-up...'

Or RG with it's Why You Must Play look at EFTPOTRM describing it as a run-and-gun game and calling it a surprising tough blaster...a blaster that's as as action-packed as it is humourous....

May the 'coder' thinks of it as an adventure due to you freeing hostages, switching on an escalator etc, so yes, it has adventure elements to it.

There's arguement going on here, the game has exploration and minor puzzle soving elements, so yes lets you roam around enviroment to find things as/when you want and has adventure elements, but at heart it's a shooter... :lol:
Last edited by Lost Dragon on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:39 am

markopoloman wrote:Are the C64 Ultimate games classed as Isometric? If yes, then Entombed on C64.
They don't use 'Isometric' projection, they (and Rasputin) use what's called 'Oblique' projection, as one side is square-on to the screen. Secret of Mana, Alundra and TLL come under the same description, although they don't use a diagonal line for their perspective.

If you want to be really nerdy, Knight Lore et al aren't perfectly 'Isometric' as the angles they use don't quite qualify. It would be called 'Dimetric'. Because the diagonal lines use 1:2 pixels they're at 26.565° rather than strictly 30°. And you can't do very neat 1:1.732 pixel diagonal lines. Although that would be on a Speccy with square pixels. If you account for either 320-pixel wide displays, or 160-pixel wide low-res 8-bit displays, the angles come out too steep instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_ ... projection

And so this post isn't entirely wasted, another great 'Isometric' game with a different style of gameplay to it - Highway Encounter. In which a previously unpublished ST version has recently been discovered.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 am

:? Magazine ran a buffers guide to isometric games, a while back did'nt it?.This upcoming feature doing anything different in approach or just re-visting familar ground, sort of 'for those who missed it...' type feature?.

Just for once i'd like to see a few of the 'lesser-known' Isometric games (inc.pseudo-isometric) get covered as well as the usual suspects rolled out, so how about:

Killzone Liberation (PSP) and Abomination:The Nemesis Project (PC) done by ex-Xcom coder.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 am

NickThorpe wrote:...all isometric games are fine.
In that case, I'll go with UFO: Enemy Unknown, though another day I might say Breach II.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 am

I'll go with Utopia on the Amiga. Probably the only real-time strategy game that got me hooked.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 am

It's tempting to pick one of the 8-bit titles, but I will go with Populous on the Amiga.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Hmm, my first thought was Quazatron but I think I'll go with Gunfright.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 pm

The Sims. I loved having a house full of people to toy with and build however you like. Just enough onscreen to allow a story to play out in your mind. Very much like Elite in that regard. Plus, with a bit of image editing you can do some customisation. I liked to give my Sims wild hair colours and paint abject filth onto T-shirts for them to wear.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:01 am

If it counts then it has to be Match day II. By adding the power meter and the Diamond Deflection System(tm) to an already winning formula, Jon and Bernie made the perfect 8 bit footy game.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:18 am

Quazatron. The brilliant Paradroid spun around, with extra gravitas. Phenomenal! And the very best Spectrum game of all time. :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:26 am

Ah yes, Quazatron was an excellent game. Having played it, it's hard to see what the fuss is over Paradroid.
The follow-up, Magnetron, wasn't so good though. The graphics weren't anywhere near as clear and the gameplay suffered in the update.

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:37 am

Highway Encounter. Gotta love those sex toys...ehm, robots.

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:46 am

In terms of impact, I vote for possibly the first isometric game, Zaxxon.... though much of that impact was me crashing into the bleddy walls because I'd misjudged the cruising height of my ship :s Great game though - really stood out for me during those pioneering arcade days...

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Does Heimdall counts? (just look at my avatar to see how much i like the game)

If not, i choose Escape from Colditz. No! Cadaver!

It's quite hard really, as i love isometric games.