The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

PAC

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by PAC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Think - and hope - you're right about Seattle. Tactical, tactical, tactical in they AFC and boy, sunshine !!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Tactical and tense!! Fascinating game so far. The sun is playing a huge part in the game, blinding the teams, Pats especially, throughout the first quarter!

PAC

Post by PAC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Huge Fourth Quarter !!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:55 am

Well i'm tired today, about a 2.30am finish (trust the second game to be so close !)

Firstly it was so weird cheering on the Broncos being a Raiders fan ! I'm glad they won as i hate the Pats more ! If they won there'll be far more of the prawn sandwich bandwagon brigade. Great game by Denver, NE looked average until Denver went a bit prevent defense late on and Brady padded his stats.

The second game was fascinating to watch, i do like Harbaugh (nearly became the Raiders coach) but damn hes moaning about every play. Kap made some great moves running but his passing was eractic, the first int was a terrible one, the second was a risky move, they had 3 timeouts, 40 seconds on the 20 yard line, i was expecting them to win that for sure. Shame Sherman intercepted as hes such a c0cky loudmouth.

Not interested in the pro bowl one bit, roll on the Superbowl.

Also 'should' have reserved my UK Black Hole tickets for Raiders/Dolphins, i shall be buying my costume soon !

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 am

Brady has looked like he's permanently in a strop this season and last night even more so. Yes, Pats looked very average and Denver never looked in trouble. I enjoyed watching.

I watched the highlights of game 2 - it was on too late for me. Shame that game wasn't the early kick off!

2 great games though and worthy teams to play in the Super Bowl.

I was very confident about who would win the championship games and got it right. I'm hoping to continue with my soothsayer antics with a prediction that Denver will be the Super Bowl 48 champs.

Where's your money, guys?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:58 am

Denver

Being a Raiders fan i dont like this team but i must admit i'm a huge fan of Peyton Mannings. I used to hate it when the kiddies on the NFLUK forum used to call him a choker who'll never win the big one (Some of his playoff defeats included a crazy fumble, the defense allowing 200+ yards rushing yet Peyton got all the blame when he loses), so i was happy when he won the big one as hes an exceptional exceptional QB.

It was sad when greats such as Marino and Montana retired, to be fair Brady vs Manning we should really appreciate those clashes, Manning has amazed everyone this year though as people said after his neck injury he wont be the same. I hope he plays for a fair few more years.

Seattle i'm not keen on, i'm old skool, i like teams like Miami/Washington in the Superbowl, not 'Seattle', just doesnt sound right ! Funny Denver vs Seattle used to be a divisional game for so many years and now of course theyre in seperate divisions.

I should praise him more but perhaps as i dont watch many of his games, Russell Wilson just doesnt excite me. Give me the old skool pocket passing of Manning over Wilson.

Denver to win and somehow hoping they win (Solely because of Manning) makes me feel very weird !

Good news is i've reserved a ticket for the UK Black Hole, the views in the endzone are crap but it should be a great laugh (Getting a goonies 'Sloth' mask to wear !)

PAC

Post by PAC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Hit the hay after the first game too so about to catch up with C4 ! Now that's retro !!

Pleased with the match-up for the final and never trouble myself with the Pro Bowl neither. I know Elway's a legend and all but in a way, I wouldn't mind a Seattle Super Bowl ! Just so long as they win it well !!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

Yeah its a great matchup, the top two seeds of each conference. The Superbowls 'normally' far better than they used to be for most of the 90's when the NFC just used to blow out the AFC team.

Enjoyed sunday evenings at 6pm watching live games on NFL Gamepass, quite sad its all over !

I'll be watching the final on BBC1, i dont mind Sky but went off their coverage of the superbowl when they kept cutting to drunk interviews with fans at the Superbowl bash.

Looking forward to the offseason as the Raiders have tons of cap space (for once) and a high draft pick (Please get a QB !). Also roll on late September when i'll be at Wembley to watch the Raiders play

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

Just this second got my SB program delivered, tons of ads but they're always pretty good and i've got the last 25 of them !

Still think Denver will win but you never know on the day, the weather shouldnt be too bad, cold but not freezing, still think its crazy to play it in NY at this time of year

Roll on 11.30pm on sunday night !

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Yep, really looking forward to Sunday night. We'll be having lots of American snacks, hot dogs, root beers and anything else I can get hold of. The kids love it even though they don't get to stay up for the game.

I'll be supporting the Broncos and I reckon they'll have more than the Seahawks on the night. And they have Manning!

I reckon it'll be great Super Bowl and I like the venue. Well, I would say that. It's at the Meadowlands! I don't think the weather will be a factor. This is American Football. It's played in the winter. If that's a problem for the teams they need to just harden the flck up! :lol:

27 - 21 Broncos.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 pm

You're biased about the venue ! For the superbowl i'm not keen on it but it'll be interesting how it pans out.

I hope Manning wins as otherwise the negative crap might start if he then goes to a 1-2 record in the SB. I can imagine Manning will be dinking and dunking all day long, I dont rate their ground game but a lot depends on Moreno, he had that huge 200+ yard game against NE earlier this season.

Russell Wilson i'm not a huge fan of, granted i dont watch his games tons but i'm not excited watching him play. Seattle have a great defense, an amazing secondary versus the top ranked passing attack of all game, who will win !

I remember when it was Raiders/Bucs and sadly the Bucs defense totally overpowered the Raiders top ranked passing offense (Not changing the calls at the line was a stupid stupid move though as Gruden told his defense what to listen out for, 5 ints later i think it worked !).

But defense vs offense, who will win ! Roll on late sunday night. Power nap from 9-11.30pm and then red bull/burgers/crisps, should be good.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:03 pm

I had to suffer speaking to my mate who runs our local post office today. He's a Pats fan and as with any Pats fan he can't see anything further than Brady or Bellichick. He's not watching the Super Bowl because there's nothing in it for him! It's the frickin' Super Bowl!!! A must watch for NFL fans just like the Championship games. All he could talk about was how Brady has three rings and Manning only one, how if the Pats hadn't lost to the Jets and Dolphins they'd be in the Super Bowl because the Pats would've beaten Denver in Boston. Yada yada yada... you get the picture. I don't care how the Jets beat the Pats, they beat them and that's that :twisted: Jets could've and probably should've had them at Foxborough too!

Typical Pats fan I think.

Bring on Sunday night. It'll be a fascinating game.

PAC

Post by PAC » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes ! I can't wait either chaps !! Greatest Show on Earth - and I'm Jets,, so image in the pain !! Feel like this one has it all lined up to be one for the legendary department. I should really be going for attack will find a way through but kind've got the Seahawks in my head and rooting for them.

With plenty of Bud,, Dogs,, and Corn. And trying to find a programme in town tomorrow. I find the UK media (print) really kind've,, obliging in their coverage.

Here's to a special Sunday Evening,,heck it's February. It's all good !!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:16 am

You probably wont find an american programme in the UK, in the old days there was a european Superbowl prog but not anymore. Got mine from http://www.greatamericansports.co.uk/

Have done for quite a few years now the second the NFL stopped the international/european programme.

Need to get a bit more food in tomorrow, told the wife she has to look after our daughter if she wakes up at 2am as i'll be watching the game !

Be sad when its over but the offseason/free agency and the draft will be great. Could be witnessing history tomorrow night which is always exciting

PAC

Post by PAC » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Many thanks for the shout.. Will order now. Nothing in town which is a shame. I used to be able to pick up the Euro one easily enough in a Smith or something ! I should be okay,, shop done and the little one is three years old.. She was chanting New York Jets, New York Jets about the same time she said Mama !!

Looking forward of the little Sky preview this evening.. Enjoy !!