Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
nokgod
Posts: 9625
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: The Blackcountry

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by nokgod » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Yeah it was an interesting article. Did it cost companies more money to get their games put on the smaller discs, as they weren't a standard size? I just thought that was nintendo being stubborn - why wouldn't you use an industry standard?
Mini DVDS are a standard size, you may notice most DVD drives have a small indent to take them. I bought a batch of miniDVDRs for my Cube and have been able to ru games burnt to them.
Yep, also the same size as CD singles...if anyone remembers those :)
Image
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 pm

pratty wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Yeah it was an interesting article. Did it cost companies more money to get their games put on the smaller discs, as they weren't a standard size? I just thought that was nintendo being stubborn - why wouldn't you use an industry standard?
Mini DVDS are a standard size, you may notice most DVD drives have a small indent to take them. I bought a batch of miniDVDRs for my Cube and have been able to ru games burnt to them.
I think the samller discs were also a halfway compromise between the extra storage space of disks and the shorter loading times of cartridges.
That makes no sense, since there's no halfway about it. MiniDVD comes out worse in every case, since it has less storage than standard DVD while retaining its slow speed. If they'd gone with standard DVD they'd at least have the higher storage.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
pratty wrote:I think the samller discs were also a halfway compromise between the extra storage space of disks and the shorter loading times of cartridges.
That makes no sense, since there's no halfway about it. MiniDVD comes out worse in every case, since it has less storage than standard DVD while retaining its slow speed. If they'd gone with standard DVD they'd at least have the higher storage.
You might well be right, I'm no tech expert but I seem to recall many reviews saying Gamecube games had shorter load times (supposedly due to less disk surface to scan, or something along those lines), but it could well be a myth.

According to wiki they were also a cost cutting measure to avoid paying DVD licensing fees.
The Nintendo GameCube Game Disc (DOL-006) is the game medium for the Nintendo GameCube, created by Matsushita (Panasonic),[1] and later extended for use on the Wii through backward compatibility.[2] The GameCube Game Disc is a 1.5 GB,[3] 8 cm miniDVD based technology which reads at a constant angular velocity (CAV). It was chosen by Nintendo to prevent copyright infringement of its games,[4] to reduce cost[5][6] by avoiding licensing fees to the DVD Forum and to reduce loading times. This also limits the consoles from being used as general DVD players.[7][8]

One downside to the GameCube Game Disc is the relatively small storage; some games with large amounts of data had to be placed across two discs. Multi-platform games that fit on PlayStation 2 and Xbox DVD discs occasionally saw the removal of certain features in order to fit on GameCube Game Discs. Full-motion video scenes and audio are more compressed to fit on a single disc, reducing their quality. Prior to the Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo consoles traditionally used cartridge-based media.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Shorter load times (if they existed, I can't say I've noticed it being particularly fast) is probably down to higher compression of assets to fit them all on disc rather than any technical benefit of the system. It was oft reported in reviews that audio suffered badly from compression compared to XBox and PS2 on cross platform games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14993
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I'll just throw my hat in and say that I don't remember any Gamecube games loading massively slower than stuff on the PS2 where some games have terrible loading times. GC games just seemed quicker in general from what I played.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Shorter load times (if they existed, I can't say I've noticed it being particularly fast) is probably down to higher compression of assets to fit them all on disc rather than any technical benefit of the system. It was oft reported in reviews that audio suffered badly from compression compared to XBox and PS2 on cross platform games.
Game Cube games sound rubbish in most cases. F-Zero is absolutely awful for sound compression.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Cube games have always sounded fine to me, to the point that I regretted delaying purchases of some games due to the reviews.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Nintendo always like to shoot themselves in the foot. Although I think for that generation, they were probably always going to finish 3rd behind Sony and Microsoft (least they beat Sega!).

pratty
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Found an article on Gamecube load times from just before it's launch.
Nintendo said that the new 1.5GB discs for GameCube offered a perfect balance between cost, piracy protection, storage space, and load times.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2001/07/02/now-loading-2
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Textures and video clips also suffered from higher compression in some multi-format titles, EA's in particular.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:08 pm

pratty wrote:Found an article on Gamecube load times from just before it's launch.
Nintendo said that the new 1.5GB discs for GameCube offered a perfect balance between cost, piracy protection, storage space, and load times.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2001/07/02/now-loading-2
Yes, but that's no doubt marketing spin, comparing it with the previous gens slow CD drive speeds. In real terms, miniDVD is no slower than regular DVD. They were so anti disc with N64 they had to come up with some fluff when they eventually caved in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
rossi46
Posts: 4366
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: melrose
Contact:

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 am

Lol I know I said I'd avoid ebay for my collecting but I couldn't resist and won a boxed black gc for a tenner :)
Thoughts and prayers.

User avatar
nokgod
Posts: 9625
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: The Blackcountry

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by nokgod » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm

rossi46 wrote:Lol I know I said I'd avoid ebay for my collecting but I couldn't resist and won a boxed black gc for a tenner :)
Tut tut! Good score, though :D
Image
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Just got Twilight Princess from Cex in Kilburn. Minty condition.

Not letting go this time.
Image

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13157
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by sscott » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:20 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Just got Twilight Princess from Cex in Kilburn. Minty condition.

Not letting go this time.
Was always surprised they released this on GameCube, relatively rare now, think my fave game is F Zero GX as it is the game I return to most, still want to pick up Mario kart double dash as I have never played it.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests