The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Well my team (The Raiders) are doing bad, i'm so fed up with them i want them to lose their last two games so they have a better draft pick !

Overall i'm enjoying the NFL, lots of scoring, the playoffs should be interesting, on paper its Denver vs Seattle but who knows what will happen in the playoffs. Never been much of a Seattle fan, their updated kit looks like some crazy college kit or something, so thats one reason ! Plus i'm not keen on the coach.

As long as New England fail in the playoffs however i'll be happy, the second they lose then that'll stop thousands more prawn sandwich fans from supporting them

Despite my teams bad record its still brilliant watching every game live, roll on 9pm this sunday, Chargers vs Raiders

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Yea, saw the Raiders lost again at the weekend. I'm not sure McGloin(spelling!) is your man even though he put up a lot of points :/

Jets were in the game against Carolina until the 4th quarter and then, well, they did what the Jets do and imploded! It was a good game to watch tho. I'd like to see Carolina do some damage in the playoffs. Even though they're not a 'proper' NFL franchise ;)

The Geno Coaster, against the Panthers, was as up and down as ever but there were glimpses of the things he does well. I still believe he needs at least another season. I wonder if Sanchez will be somewhere else before the start of next season....

Anyway, that's any possibility of the post season gone. That's a good thing though as the Jets aren't play-off calibre and it'll bring a bit of a reality check! I enjoyed watching the game though and with the Browns and Dolphins to come there may be anther W for us yet. Still, as you say psj, a higher draft pick would be more appealing than any wins now!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Look away now if you dont want to know the wildcard scores....

Glad i stayed up for that Colts/Chiefs game, i had to work last night (till 1.30am) so i had the game on in the background (Thanks dodgy NFL sites ;) , what a classic ! Couldnt stay up for the Eagles/Saints game so i watched highlights, the games are blacked out on gamepass for 24 hours so i had to get the scores really before tonights games. But the Colts/Chiefs game, actually glad i was working or i might have turned it off and gone to bed early

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Yep, watched Colts/Chiefs game. What a shootout! Amazing game and not what I expected to see at all. Great that it went down to the last minutes of 4th quarter. I honestly thought it was all over at halftime! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the pressure got to Luck once they fell behind and he threw more picks. But he rallied impressively while the Chiefs suffered injuries.

Eagles was on too late for me. Shame they went out. Still Jets beat the Saints so if they go on to win the Super Bowl..... :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am

Yeah next week its NE/Colts at 1.30am on Saturday, i'll have to avoid the score but the problem is it wont be on Gamepass for 24 hours, so then i'll have to miss out the sundays games. Bit of a pain !

I did use a dodgy iraq channel to watch the sky games yesterday but obviously unlike Gamepass you cant pause it.

Shame the Niners won last night, not a fan of them, they were the 'Man Utd' of the NFL in the 90's.

Now things get interesting in the divisional round, 4 great games next weekend, should be good. Just ordered my SB programme from Great American Sports (Got all of them from SB 20 onwards).

Should be an interesting offseason for the Raiders, salary cap finally sorted out, 60 mill free space (instead of the usual -20 mill over) and a high draft pick, would love a QB like Bridgewater (probably gone at #5) or Bortles. Dont know much about college football but from what i've read they're very talented young QB's

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 am

Yep, looking forward to the weekend match ups.

Loads of college football on ESPN. We have BT Broadband so get that channel 'free'.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Yeah i've got BT Broadband so i could watch it on my ipad (stream it to the tv). I should watch some college footy just with the NFL playoffs (2 games saturday, 2 games sunday) i think the missus would 'bobbit' me if i was watching anymore ! Still nearly over sadly !

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Mine too. I sometime have the ncaa games on if I'm home alone during the day. Possibly on a Saturday if I can get away with it when everyone is busy. And I'm supposed to be busy!

The season goes by so quickly! As usual, I've booked the Monday after Superbowl as a holiday 8) Must order a programme....

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 am

Ha ha i booked the day off yesterday. I normally have a quick sleep before the game and then stay up with a few red bulls and snacks. Its an epic piece of history and theres no way i can not watch it live, hate it when people say 'why dont you watch it the next day', just doesnt feel right !

The SB programmes are expensive (in the old days you got a UK version in WHSmiths which was great) but again its once a year. Only fell asleep during one game (Washington vs Buffalo back in Jan 92), lately the SB's have been so close.

Still think its a crazy decision to have it in NY as the weather will be crazy.

Anyway a good set of games this weekend, will watch the first game on saturday but then i'll avoid the score of NE/Indy as i'll have to wait 24 hours to watch it on gamepass - doh

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Are Sky showing both games live? I might get a day pass for NowTV or whatever it's called.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 am

Well i've caught up with the games, it was annoying on gamepass as they were blacked out for over 24 hours due to Sky.

Anyway no real surprises, the championship games are tough as i hate practically all the teams ! Actually want Denver (?!?!) to beat the Pats as i detest the Pats. In the NFC i actually want Seattle to win as i'm no fan of the Niners.

To be honest i hope they're two great games but no way do i want the Pats to win, another ton of bandwagon fans will be created if they get to the Superbowl

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:56 pm

I didn't see the games at the weekend but saw highlights and results through NFL site and Around the League podcast.

This weekend should be great though. Those are four serious contenders! Can't wait!

And, yea, anyone but the Pats :evil:

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:42 am

American football is crap.

The end.

:o

Eat your nans pants

PAC

Post by PAC » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Going to be another great Sunday Night and both too tight to call !!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:08 pm

PAC wrote:Going to be another great Sunday Night and both too tight to call !!
Yep, totally agree. I can't wait!

It is going to be tight but my money is on the Broncos to beat the Pats in a high scoring game. Manning will be supreme. Brady will be frustrated.

I think the Niners at Seahawks is easier to call. I can't see anything but Seattle going to the Super Bowl.