Being an older gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Being an older gamer

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Nemesis wrote: Games are looked on positively when you're young, not so much when you're older.
I wonder if Kasparov ever got that view thrown at him?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:You're only as old as the person you're feeling.
I've just gained 12 years!
MILFs do make me feel older.............

Good news to some weird (read pedos) people are having kids at younger ages
13 year old milf?

VOMITINGDOG.GIF

(wow cant post pictures)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:57 pm

The Laird wrote:
rossi46 wrote:I'm considerably older than you and I don't give a fcuk.

It's all interactive media and my sons and I share a common interest because of gaming.

In 100 years nobody will care. Or as my old boss used to say, 'You're a long time dead'.
Pretty much this.
Yup... what they said. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:21 pm

rossi46 wrote:LOL I'm 45 and the only time I've had any kind of issue is when taking out RG mag in my work.

If it's an especially 'kiddy-looking' cover that month, the hairy-assed workers in the tea room usually voice their negative and narrow-minded opinions, but who is the first person they turn to when asking for eBay/PC/IT/mobile phone/which-console-to-get-next advice?

Yep, me. :)
I get that, if it has a plug or is available online i get pestered

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:You're only as old as the person you're feeling.
I've just gained 12 years!
You dirty old man! :lol: :wink:

On a more serious note, I'm fast approaching 37. Had this hobby for pretty much my entire life and I'm not going to give it up now. When I die, they'll likely have to prise a controller or handheld out of my cold dead hands. And it'll be a nice little earner for my relatives if they decide to sell off my stuff on Ebay. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:03 pm

flatapex wrote:people assume as i have so many games and systems (200 games, 8 consoles) that i live at home (i do, in my own house with my missus), that my missus is a gaming widow (nope, we have hobbies but are closer than the majority of couples) or that i spend all night on xbox live playing call of duty (haha, nope)
Are you me? :shock:
Except my wife has her own consoles, and even hung on to some stuff from her original VCS, the one she had as a teen from when they were new - yes we are both that old. I'm 46, the wife is 47... but don't tell her I told you ;)

I work in a room full of programmers, and assorted IT/Arty types, so no not a peep from anyone at work - except for asking how to 'hack' stuff and run roms for older machines etc... :roll:
Heck, one of then even draws underground comics for a hobby, so I'm relatively normal in there :lol: 8)
Last edited by GarryG on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Never understood the "Living at home" thing.
Of course we live at home or we would be homeless

william

Post by william » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm 40 and been gaming since 84 and no one has bothered about my age,but maybe get a few funny looks/comments from various people when I mention my other hobbies such as collecting Lego(and just restarted collecting Action Force figures again since my childhood)and flying kites(it's actually traction kiting with a landboard but the stigma is stuck with the word 'Kite')as people think I'm running up and down a field with a single line stunt kite trailing behind trying to get it to fly

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:29 pm

GarryG wrote:
flatapex wrote:people assume as i have so many games and systems (200 games, 8 consoles) that i live at home (i do, in my own house with my missus), that my missus is a gaming widow (nope, we have hobbies but are closer than the majority of couples) or that i spend all night on xbox live playing call of duty (haha, nope)
Are you me? :shock:
Except my wife has her own consoles, and even hung on to some stuff from her original VCS, the one she had as a teen from when they were new - yes we are both that old. I'm 46, the wife is 47... but don't tell her I told you ;)

I work in a room full of programmers, and assorted IT/Arty types, so no not a peep from anyone at work - except for asking how to 'hack' stuff and run roms for older machines etc... :roll:
Heck, one of then even draws underground comics for a hobby, so I'm relatively normal in there :lol: 8)
I work in medical insurance and am 32 but look younger, i havent worked on the department long so a few people cant work out my age or domestic situation, they dont believe me when i tell them the ps3 was hers. My missus likes the lego based games and wants a 3ds for animal crossing, she came to playexpo and loved the pinball machines.
I think she has her original gamecube and possibly some master system stuff at her dad's from when she was a kid, in fact i got into master system collecting when she saw one in cash generators and got nostalgic, i now own about 20% of the pal library and i blame her. Oh and she plays the sims when i play my stuff

Oh and she is 29

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:44 pm

I dont get it so much about my age, but people tend to have more preconceptions because Im a 'gamer girl,' so thats annoying. There is often an assumption that any girls who claim to be gamers arent and basically just say it to fit in with their boyfriend. Massive football fan as well, so I get a lot of the same thing there!

Like a lot on here, Ive been gaming since I was a kid, and while I still enjoy the retro classics I did when I was a kid, my tastes have also matured and some of my favourite ever games are current ones on the Xbox that are far from suitable for any kid! Hell, Ive ahd playthroughs of Dragon Age where Ive slept with 3 of my party and a few prostitutes and elves as well! :lol: Bit of a departure from playing Toejam & Earl and Zany Golf!

My parents still feel the need to comment on the fact that I spend a lot of time on my days off just in my room playing games or watching football. I like to point out that if I wasnt a gamer, my teenage years could have easily been spent going out getting drunk and pregnant, and that usually shuts them up until next time! :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:19 pm

^Do you take pictures of you posing with a controller in your mouth?
Seems to be the trend with those that try to be with the cool crowd and yet have probably never tuned a console into the TV

At 33 I am still at the ITS DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK" phase, when workmen have been round to do some house work in the past they seemed to envy how I live

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Im mid 30's, and all i hear at work is mid 20 year old workmates talking about comics and what superheroes can beat each other....i dont know which one is sadder tbh i dont give a toss!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:33 pm

General Opulence wrote: all i hear at work is mid 20 year old workmates talking about comics and what superheroes can beat each other....i dont know which one is sadder
The answer is, of course, neither.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 am

mid 30's here too. i work for a gaming company of sorts, so there are quite a lot of people here who also play games. not quite so many retro games players, but there are a few of us - i'm one of the older people in the company! however, i'm pretty sure my colleague who sits next to me said he used to programme for the spectrum at one point. our internal mail list includes a games@ email distribution list for people to talk specifically about video games.
outside of work, all of my friends grew up playing games too - some of my friendships were based on that initially, so don't get any of that thankfully.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:00 am

The stigma of playing games is surely dead now, with the fact that basically everyone plays games in one form or another. Console games are played by a huge percentage of adults, but in addition, with every man and their grandma owning some sort of tablet, or smart phone, and playing games on...who actually DOESN'T play games? I can only assume either very bitter and twisted boring people OR newborn babies.