Consoles on modern TVs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

Re: Consoles on modern TVs

Post by kelp7 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Actually, while we're on this whole subject : Now that we've moved into our new house it's time to get a new TV stand / unit. We have this one which we now hate which is basically two glass panes on wheels, the TV is on the top glass pane and on the bottom glass pane we have our Blu-Ray player, humax digital box, wii, wii u, N64 and my Logitec Z4 speakers. As you can well imagine the sheer amount of cables at the back is horrifying really. Oh and there's a little eMachine I have mounted on the back of the TV so cables for that too. Does anyone here have any great suggestions that they've come up with for tidying up the enormous mass of ugly looking cables at the back of the TV stand unit? Are there any good units out there that solve this problem?
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 am

batman877 wrote:The N64 is almost unplayable on most modern HDTVs. Even with a RGB mod, it looks quite poor. Check some of my older posts where I compared N64 scart, s-video and composite on a HDTV.

Other retro hardware holds up better on modern TVs - the Sega Megadrive and SNES in particular look lovely.

However, for an N64, keep you old CRT TV and don't make the same mistake I did.
I have an RGB Modded US N64, and it simply doesn't work on my 4 year old Samsung 37" TV, no picture comes up at all. I guess it can't run 240i/p resolution.

I have, fortunately, a 6 year old Sony 20" Bravia, and it runs N64, PS1, and more modern consoles REALLY well. The N64 hooked in there shows a much better pic than on a CRT screen i tried before.

So to the original poster, try to keep an oldish TV as well somewhere!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:I have, fortunately, a 6 year old Sony 20" Bravia, and it runs N64, PS1, and more modern consoles REALLY well. The N64 hooked in there shows a much better pic than on a CRT screen i tried before.

What?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm

speedlolita wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:I have, fortunately, a 6 year old Sony 20" Bravia, and it runs N64, PS1, and more modern consoles REALLY well. The N64 hooked in there shows a much better pic than on a CRT screen i tried before.

What?
Just what I said. My old Sony Bravia LCD screen, which is only 20", puts out a better picture through RGB on my modded N64, than it did when I used it on a Panasonic CRT screen of about the same size (slightly bigger). Less rolling, seemed to take away some blemishes.