Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 124

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:13 am

Lost Dragon wrote:The full set-up (cart.in console, keyboard on and XC12 Tape deck connected, plus light gun plugged in) i find looks nice, but then you have to take into account the years of abuse i had at hands of Atari's wretched 410 tape decks, ugly, unrealible etc.I like look of the SNES, it's the N64 that i find Fisher Price, pushing slabs of plastic into bigger slab of plastic, i half expected a MOO! and Cluck Cluck Cluck! to come from the bloody thing each time i pressed a button or flicked a switch, it felt like a bloody activity center!.
Think you're being quite biased there. If you thought the N64 looked like a Fisher Price toy what about the XEGS above ? That looks ridiculous

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:18 am

:lol: Erm, can i not be biased when it was my money that went on the N64? and the games for it?.

I usually do comment on hardware i paid for i must admit.I loved the N64 for GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Starfox 64 etc, but i hated the look of the console, so just hid it under the TV.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 am

The Atari 8-bit computer line wasn't bad looking but sorry, the XEGS has always looked like a baby's activity toy to me, with the flat slab look and pastel coloured buttons on the top heh. In the same way the 64GS looked like a giant's throat lozenge.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 am

Just to point out, i never had a XEGS (no need as had 800XL+600XL), so not biased, also owned 32X (Black Mushroom), own 2 Dreamcasts (Pie Makers) on my 2nd PS2 (fan heater) 2nd PS3 (Grill) etc so quite often 'mock' the look of hardware i buy, long may it continue.
:lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:56 am

Mayhem wrote:The Atari 8-bit computer line wasn't bad looking but sorry, the XEGS has always looked like a baby's activity toy to me, with the flat slab look and pastel coloured buttons on the top heh. In the same way the 64GS looked like a giant's throat lozenge.
I always thought the C64GS was used for step aerobics! :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:27 am

Anyone got their issues yet ? Thought us subscribers would have got it by now (By law now my copy should arrive this morning as i've just posted this !)

Edit - that worked well ! Mine just arrived...

Ohhh new faces for the mag on the retrobates page
Arcade racers article - Looks very good
Metropolis Street racer on the Dreamcast - Never heard/played this game
Activision article - Oh yeah, cant believe how scary David Crane used to look with that bowlcut haircut and dodgy Rolf Harris beard
Atari 2600 legacy - Love these old skool games, shall be playing some of these later
R-Type 2 page screenshot - Yep its an amazing game on the Speccy
Altered Beast - Never got into this back in the day, shall try this again
Wonderboy Retrospective - Another good article for me, enjoyed this in the 80's
Mined out by Quicksilva - Looks very interesting, one of the earliest Minesweeper games on the Speccy
Minority Report, hmmm not into chinese RPG's for obvious reasons !
Boulder Dash - Good ole classic, again shall play this later for sure
UFO Enemy Unknown - One game i never got into
Atari XE - Seems interesting, dont know anything about this machine at all
Bomb Jack - Get in, love this game. Nice to see the Speccy rightfully get some praise, the C64 version was shocking
Interview with Jim Bagley - Speccy legend and makes some great iOS games. Presume the photo has his Movember Fu Manchu 'tache ! Always good to see Jim at the various retro shows (Check out his iOS games specially Apple Bob)

Very good issue for me personally as theres a lot i want to read about.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 am

psj3809 wrote:Anyone got their issues yet ? Thought us subscribers would have got it by now (By law now my copy should arrive this morning as i've just posted this !)
Mine arrived in this morning's post. :)

If you get a second delivery you might still get yours today.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 am

@PSJ:I'm not a fan of racers per say, but fact that MSR was attempting something different back then was enough to get me hooked, plus way it used DC clock etc, hope you'll give it a try after reading the article, ditto for Xcom (ignore the primitive visuals, this game has depth and just grabs you by the balls).

Atari XE-yep, probably a bit of an unknown to many, Kieran has written some great articles on it before (Retro Fusion, Homebrew Heroes and more recently Atari Gamer), so your in for a good feature no doubt, just a pity so few commercial games ever used the extra memory of the 128K models, but then same applied to CBM's C128...)

As a big Atari fan, it's great to see RG magazine can call apon the likes of Kieran, Marty G, Rory Milne etc for articles (each brings their own mix to the table) and have machines people knew little about get coverage they deserve.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 am

Yeah i'm interested in that MSR, just somehow never seen/played this ever before. X-Com was one of those games i never got into initially but its one i want to try big time (Specially now its on the ipad)

RG is good as it has the mainstream retro machines (Which i prefer) but i know people like hearing about the underated/unknown/bad sellers as well. The standard line used here on the forum is 'difficult to please everyone' !

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 am

my copy just arrived, nice cover but shame about that atari abomination down in the bottom left. will have a read through this afternoon

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:10 am

psj3809 wrote:Yeah i'm interested in that MSR, just somehow never seen/played this ever before. X-Com was one of those games i never got into initially but its one i want to try big time (Specially now its on the ipad)

RG is good as it has the mainstream retro machines (Which i prefer) but i know people like hearing about the underated/unknown/bad sellers as well. The standard line used here on the forum is 'difficult to please everyone' !
The MSR that finally arrived was a very different 'beast' to the one shown off early in the DC's life and much better for it.

Xcom..ohhh XCom, take it you never played Chaos, Rebelstar, Laser Squad, Rebel Star Raiders or Lords Of Chaos? Xcom started out as Laser Squad II and was heavily inspired by Gerry Anderson's UFO TV series.Game just dripping with atmosphere and OHHHH MAN!!! moments-nothing quite put the wind up me seeing an incoming Blaster Launcher missile wipeout my entire squad whilst they were still in the hold of the Skyranger!.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:39 am

Strangely enough i love Rebelstar and Laser Squad (and Lords of Chaos), for some bizarre reason i just never got/or gave a chance to X-Com

I will for sure buy X-Com after i've read the article, problem is i just have toooo many games to play !

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 am

What a cracking issue!
Brilliant cover - can't see many complaining about this one.

Only had a flick through but had to stop and read the comments on the Bombjack ports to see what was said about the C64 version!
Very happy to see the comment made wasn't the usual 'oh it's got chunky sprites, so it must be rubbish' views as I loved the game as a kid and still go back and play it now. Not pretty - but still plays a bloody good game of Bombjack, has amazing music and is colourful too :D

Off to read the Racers article now...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 am

psj3809 wrote:Strangely enough i love Rebelstar and Laser Squad (and Lords of Chaos), for some bizarre reason i just never got/or gave a chance to X-Com

I will for sure buy X-Com after i've read the article, problem is i just have toooo many games to play !
Tell me about it, i'm just Xcom-ing and that's it these days.(not that it's a bad thing mind...)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am

My copy finally arrived about half an hour ago (never had post that late before) and I have already read a fair chunk of it :lol:

This has to be one of my all-time favourite issues and one of the best covers ever too.

The Activision, Altered Beast, Boulderdash, Bomb Jack, Racers and Jim Bagley articles are superb.

Looking forward to reading about MSR, I actually have this game for the Dreamcast but have never got round to playing it, I really need to do that soon! Also looking forward to the Mined Out pice as well, JD's articles are always top notch.