Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrosofer

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:46 pm

I think the Wii U is offering far more in terms of veriety of games on offer at the moment than the Xbone/PS4 combined, and the games on the Wii U and those still to come seem far more interesting to from what i have seen. This might all change though in 6 months to a year when more starts coming out for MS/Sonys consoles, but at the moment both launch line-ups look very drab and uninteresting to me.

I think Nintendo need to pick up the pace somewhat though, and some actual advertising wouldn't go amiss either, and some new IP from them, or even different games from their back catalog that they haven't tapped into would certainly go along way. They can rely on the same old (although very good) titles such as Mario, Donky Kong, Zelda, Kerby et al forever.

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm

General Opulence wrote:So to confirm Atari only sold 125K units, but 225K were manufactured?
Up through December '95 they sold 125K units. It's hard to say how many more they directly sold of the 100,000 remaining in inventory over the next year but it wouldn't have been too many more if they were having that much of a problem moving them. That rest of that SEC report and further reports in '96 talk about the liquidation. Keep in mind, there was still support for the Jaguar up until the Atari Corp. assets were sold off in '98, so any of the liquidated Jaguars being sold by those liquidators could technically still count as regular sales on the market. But it wouldn't have been more than the total 225,000 units actually manufactured.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm

This is the original story I heard/read about, Curt confused me when he mentioned that 325,000 figure.

Still has absolutely nothing to do with the Wii U though.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Having just read Martyg's post, i'm sat here looking at a UK mag clipping where they say Atari expected to sell 300,000 Jag CD-Rom drives, in USA, in 1st year alone, nowt to do with Wii U i grant you, but thought i'd mention it.That's gotta be an incorrect figure though has'nt it? i mean 300,000?

Marty? (UK press not always best in terms of 100% true reporting on figures...)

Back on topic:Had Aliens:C.M been the groundbreaking Aliens game many, myself included had hoped for, i swear there'd be a Wii U sat under my TV here and now.The prospect of basically having a motion tracker to hand via the 2nd screen would have sold it to me, it's that simple, wonder why Nintendo never thought of getting rights to an exclusive Alien/s game for the Wii U for the 'hardcore' market and is it too late for them to do so i wonder?
Last edited by Lost Dragon on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Having just read Martyg's post, i'm sat here looking at a UK mag clipping where they say Atari expected to sell 300,000 Jag CD-Rom drives, in USA, in 1st year alone, nowt to do with Wii U i grant you, but thought i'd mention it.That's gotta be an incorrect figure though has'nt it? i mean 300,000?
No, it's what they "expected" to sell. Just like they expected at that time to do a full initial run of 325,000 (and then hopefully a larger second run) and wound up scaling it back. Remember, things were still going full steam ahead until Sam had the heart attack. At which point Jack stepped back in to take a look at where they were and decide to start shutting things down and sell it off (i.e. "reverse merge").
The Laird wrote:This is the original story I heard/read about, Curt confused me when he mentioned that 325,000 figure.

Still has absolutely nothing to do with the Wii U though.
Curt's figure was accurate, that's what the initial order was for. It was scaled back though as it was seen the expected demand wasn't there.
Last edited by martyg on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Cheers Marty (and bloody hell Atari were optimistic).I had to question it as UK press and Jaguar a very mixed bag.You had things like Ultimate Future Games that seemed to give Jaguar a hard time more often than not (and some absurd review scores), C+VG and Edge (mixed scores but enough good scores overal) and then Gamesmaster which initally loved Jaguar but then seemed to turn on it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm

killbot wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Thing is everyone is talking about winners or losers, but consoles sell so many units these days who is to say that a console that sells only 60% - 70% of its competitor is still not a huge success in terms of profit and other things.

even 3rd place this gen could end up selling far more consoles than some of the winners of previous generations. if MS sell 60million and sony sell 90million. would that really class them as losers.
Well, that's the thing. Nintendo might ultimately only sell 30 million Wii Us, but that won't matter too much as long as the attatch rate for first-party games is good (which it traditionally is for Nintendo consoles). As long as the console remains a money-maker for Nintendo (or at least as long as it isn't losing enough money to take a serious bite out of their cash stockpile) I think they'll continue with it.
Nintendo is the richest gaming-only company, though. They have some odd 9 billion $ in the bank and if they wanted so they could have made a "cutting-edge" system to beat the PS4 and XBO. They just choose not to and I personally think it wouldn't be a smart thing to do either. They have to play their cards differently, not go head to head against Sony and MS, imo.

In the end, it all comes down to the games, and this area they seem to be focusing on.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am

Alien:Isolation latest to not be getting a Wii U version.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am

Lost Dragon wrote:Alien:Isolation latest to not be getting a Wii U version.
Yeah just read this. Maybe Nintendo should start doing what they've done to Bayonetta 2 to a couple of franchises everyone wants back.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 pm

James A wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:Alien:Isolation latest to not be getting a Wii U version.
Yeah just read this. Maybe Nintendo should start doing what they've done to Bayonetta 2 to a couple of franchises everyone wants back.

they should just pay capcom do do an exclusive Dino crisis, and Sega to do Shenmue, and make them exclusive to the WiiU

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Xbox had exclusive Dino Crisis..did'nt turn out too well....

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Xbox had exclusive Dino Crisis..did'nt turn out too well....
It sold about 140K, and Shenmue II managed 470K across both platforms. I'd think think that Nintendo would be flushing money down the toilet to bring back either, to be honest.

Even the perennially requested F-Zero and Starfox, not that the numbers are that favourable for them either, would probably be in with a better shot.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:25 pm

thats because it was crap, a lot of fans want a true sequel
plus Dino crisis 1 sold 2.4 million just on the PS1, and number 2 hit over 1 million. thats not counting other platforms.

Shenmue sold over 1million copies on dreamcast and is the 4th best selling DC game and only 1 of six DC games to sell over 1 million.

Shenmue 2 sales were hampered by the DC version not being released in America, and the xbox bombed in japan and they never even got an xbox version.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:As for PS4 / XB1, I don't see PS4 winning at all. Sales are strong for both. Given where we were nine months ago I don't think sony have capitalised on microsoft's mistakes enough. Microsoft can still cut the price and most importantly have much more money than sony.
As of 28th December 2013, taken from VGChartz....

RodimusPrime wrote:

thats because it was crap, a lot of fans want a true sequel
I agree entirely, Dino Crisis 3 was an awful game compared to the first two. We're very, very unlikely to get a 'true' sequel to the original games now though, what with the strong possibility that it'd probably be farmed out to a cheaper western developer or done in a different style rather than the fixed camera angles of the first 2 games.....Capcom haven't done a game like that for years, and may not do again. You could point to Resident Evil 4, but then look at what's happened since with the bland Resi 5 and the godawful Resi 6 (they were back in Dino Crisis 3 territory with that one). Bringing Dino Crisis (or even Shenmue in the case of Sega) back at this point is just more likely to make people look at them very unfavourably compared to the original games rather than reignite new interest in either of the franchises. Even DMC, which was by all accounts a good game, didn't do much to revive the Devil May Cry series.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm

That VGChartz bar graph is interesting isn't it? What is going on with that PS Vita bar?
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com