Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

r0jaws

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:07 am

And I didn't see the point of your post about the 7800 either, it's all context isn't it. :wink:

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 am

This is'nt in context, but how this thread is in danger of going...

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... czljjsWl2A
:wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 am

r0jaws wrote:To put that in context, the Atari Jaguar apparently sold less than 250'000 units in three years.
too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 am

r0jaws wrote:And I didn't see the point of your post about the 7800 either, it's all context isn't it. :wink:
Well obviously I was using the 7800 as a benchmark, it could have been any console with similar sales figures. The 7800 is considered a failure by many people with sales of over 4 million (actual figure is unknown) and that was in a time when console sales were no where near as high as they are now. For another comparison, look at the Dreamcast with sales of just under 11 million, that was also considered a flop. So those saying Wii U sales are fine need to look again.

Where as you bringing up the Jaguar was just yet another lame attempt to troll me in some way. Everytime I say something people don't like/don't agree with on this board certain people bring up the Jaguar, even though it has no relevance at all to the topic at hand, and it's pathetic. I have said this hundreds of times but I will say it again, I don't really care what anyone thinks of the Jaguar. I like it, others don't, fine with me. It's not even close to being my favourite console, it wouldn't even make the top 5, so those repeatedly calling me "the Jaguar fanboy"are very wide of the mark, if you want to see a real Jag fanboy then go visit Atari Age.

Back to the topic at hand. I was the first person on this forum to review the Wii U after I got to have an extended play with it during the press session at Play last year. Those of you who read it might remember that I was pretty positive about the machine and I have said numerous times that it was the next gen machine that interested me the most. That is probably still the case given that I am a huge fan of the Wii (have close to 100 games for it!) and would be able to play all those games on the new console. But since it came out it has been badly starved of software and I have yet to see a single game that makes me go "! WANT ONE!". That might change in the future and I hope it does as I would rather own a Nintendo machine over Microsoft or Sony any day.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 am

sirpigmeat wrote:I think actually Nintendo didn't put a foot wrong gamewise with the wii, it just didn't have some of those odd 3rd party titles that made other Nintendo consoles special. The N64 had rare, so you got Golden Eye, Jet Force Gemini (wish someone would HD remake this), odd titles like Body Harvest etc. The Gamecube had stuff like Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Vietiful Joe etc. ... Stuff that kept the console in use while you waited for the next nintendo game... .
I think more than that it was really a matter of lacking AAA hyped-to-death titles. There were quality third party titles such as Sin and Punishment, Tatsunoco Vs Capcom, Fragile Dreams, No More Heroes, Muramasa, Dead space Extraction, Trauma Team, Sonic Colours Monster Hunter Tri, Little Kings Story, Rayman Origins etc, but a lot of them rightly or wrongly had the impression of niche and/or sub-par quality titles.

You'd think those sorts of games above would be adequate to see most gamers through between the Marios and Zeldas but not for everyone it seemed. I remember Reggie remarking that core gamers were insatiable, they'd put out a 1st party game pretty much every month and still people would still be like "where are the games?"

I guess it just comes down to people's idea of a good game. Some people would say Tatsunoko Vs Capcom for example was a top quality game and would play it constantly, while others would say, "well I suppose that's nice for the hardcore fighter fan, but what about me? Where's SF4?"
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:13 am

So, what are the 'Big Gun' titles to look out for on Wii U in 2014?.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:39 am

Lost Dragon wrote:So, what are the 'Big Gun' titles to look out for on Wii U in 2014?.
The 1st party exclusives, basically. Seems to be what most people (myself included) are waiting out for. i.e. mario kart, smash bros. and hopefully a new zelda
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:17 am

kelp7 wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:So, what are the 'Big Gun' titles to look out for on Wii U in 2014?.
The 1st party exclusives, basically. Seems to be what most people (myself included) are waiting out for. i.e. mario kart, smash bros. and hopefully a new zelda
Plus Donkey Kong (which could easily be the platform game of the year), and maybe the Xenoblade 'sequel'. Plus the usual E3 season announcements usually deliver new games for the later half of the year.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 am

Cheers one and all.

I could'nt think of a single game on Wii U/PS4 or Xbox One i was looking out for in 2014.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

pratty wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:I think actually Nintendo didn't put a foot wrong gamewise with the wii, it just didn't have some of those odd 3rd party titles that made other Nintendo consoles special. The N64 had rare, so you got Golden Eye, Jet Force Gemini (wish someone would HD remake this), odd titles like Body Harvest etc. The Gamecube had stuff like Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Vietiful Joe etc. ... Stuff that kept the console in use while you waited for the next nintendo game... .
I think more than that it was really a matter of lacking AAA hyped-to-death titles. There were quality third party titles such as Sin and Punishment, Tatsunoco Vs Capcom, Fragile Dreams, No More Heroes, Muramasa, Dead space Extraction, Trauma Team, Sonic Colours Monster Hunter Tri, Little Kings Story, Rayman Origins etc, but a lot of them rightly or wrongly had the impression of niche and/or sub-par quality titles.

You'd think those sorts of games above would be adequate to see most gamers through between the Marios and Zeldas but not for everyone it seemed. I remember Reggie remarking that core gamers were insatiable, they'd put out a 1st party game pretty much every month and still people would still be like "where are the games?"

I guess it just comes down to people's idea of a good game. Some people would say Tatsunoko Vs Capcom for example was a top quality game and would play it constantly, while others would say, "well I suppose that's nice for the hardcore fighter fan, but what about me? Where's SF4?"
No more heroes and monster hunter were great... I don't know maybe my idea of the wii is a little skewed, I got alot of enjoyment outta it but I just don't have the love for it that I had for the Gamecube/N64/Snes/Nes...

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 pm

pratty wrote:
kelp7 wrote:
Plus Donkey Kong (which could easily be the platform game of the year), and maybe the Xenoblade 'sequel'. Plus the usual E3 season announcements usually deliver new games for the later half of the year.
Bayonetta 2 (As XBox and PS fans are begging for a port even though Nintendo's helped out with development and such), probably that secret Pokemon game that has some teased footage of, and hopefully more of Yoshi's Epic Yarn and that Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei crossover.

I'm certain Nintendo's going to stick by the console no matter what for at least the normal console cycle of 5 years. They could easily introduce a system selling gimmick device that's not Iwata's Pull My Finger pulse thingy or obtain another big exclusive like Bayonetta 2 or god forbid, that new First Party IP everyone's waiting for. Either way when it comes to their next console, I don't think they can afford to screw up again. They'll REALLY have to think of a system gimmick that'll shift the numbers they desire or even match the original Wii's, decent specs, and of course, win back all those third parties it scared away with its gamepad....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 pm

The Laird wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Why not? The system is out for about a year now and it sold over 4 million units worldwide.
Just to put that in context, it hasn't outsold the Atari 7800 yet.
Well, the GameCube sold about 20 million units in it's life time and at some point they had to halt production due to too low demand and the 3rd parties were "abandoning ship" all the time, but it was still worth supporting for Nintendo due to low production costs and good 1st party software sales. Granted, if Nintendo didn't have the excellent GBA sales to back up to, they would have been in trouble, but they still managed to pull it off and support the system long enough untill their next, highly successful, system.

I think the WIi U could be a similar story, with Nintendo backing to the good 3DS sales to back their Wii U and mostly generate profits from the 1st party software sales. The question is just how the 3rd parties will support the system since most 3rd party games that are successful on PS and Xbox tend to underperform on the Wii U. But the system calls for unique projects anyway.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:19 pm

r0jaws wrote:To put that in context, the Atari Jaguar apparently sold less than 250'000 units in three years.
The Jag really sold pretty poor. I remember an article in a gaming magazine that said how Atari was making effort to push the system but interest simply wasn't there and the console was basically already "dead", in the light of much more popular 16-bit systems and upcomming 32-bit CD systems.

It could be said that Sega was in a similar situation with the Saturn - they had a competent and competitive system, decent advertising and solid 3rd party support, but the interest simply wasn't there and the system sold only about 2 million units in it's life time in the US so the system was basically "dead" by about 1998 whereas the PS was only yet starting to sell really well. Even Sega fans flocked over to the PS so it was already too late for Sega and they put all effort into their upcomming "project Katana" (aka Dreamcast).

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Lets also not forget Zelda: Hyrule Warriors (or whatever it's eventually going to be called) that's been announced, and also (this is where I think the Wii U will start making some great strides) some of the excellent looking download exclusives due like Scram Kitty And His Buddy On Rails, and FAST Racing League Neo (FAST Racing League on WiiWare was a great game), alongside stuff already available like NES Remix.

This time last year, the Wii U landscape was looking barren, I even complained long and hard about it myself. This year though, different story. There's plenty of games available/upcoming. The 'Wii U has no games' argument doesn't really hold water anymore...if you don't want one by now, you probably never will but it's not because of a lack of games.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Lets also not forget Zelda: Hyrule Warriors (or whatever it's eventually going to be called) that's been announced
I'm not impressed by that game though. I'd rather see something like "Wind Waker meets Prince of Persia 2008 meets Assassin's Creed". Something like this:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17gkpgt ... iginal.jpg

:wink: