Getting stuck thread of humbleness.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SoupDragon

Re: Getting stuck thread of humbleness.

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Killzone. Theres a part halfway through where you have to make your way through rubble? Im still stuck (since it was released lol)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:The final mission (think it was called The President's Run?) on the original Driver on the PS1. Just feck off. :evil:

The entire game had a decent level of challenge until that whopping difficulty spike right at the end. I'm not even sure if it's actually do-able without cheating :? . Certainly, that mission only seems to have been put in to provide some great 'car crash' footage for the Director mode, as your car gets rammed again and again and again by the insanely fast and suicidal black cars of death :evil:
It is do-able without cheats. I did it (just) .

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Mootown wrote:
koopa42 wrote:When your girlfriend turns into a freddy kruger monster on Splatterhouse. I've never managed it, I spent 1 billion 20ps trying back in the day. I could get the extra lives, I could even get there without being hit by the end .... but that was the end of that game for me :? I never managed it legit on MAME either. MAG (from RP) is the king of that game though and showed me it was possible at the original Retroball.
If you know when to do the slide move, it's actually do-able without being touched at all. But the game never teaches you the slide move, you just need to figure it out. As for the turning slide as you land move - that's a bit of a t**t to pull off consistently...There was a time when I could 1CC Splatterhouse arcade without being hit. It's largely a memory test. Great game though!
If I remember correctly when Jennifer turns into Monster Jennifer her first two patterns as she'd jump towards you punch her once, and then back off as she'd do that screen filling extending hand move..

When she turned back into a woman for the third and last time her patterns would change and she'd hop forward twice and then do the claw, you'd punch after she landed from her second hop.... That heart of the House boss after her was annoying because of those damn bubbles, the last boss the Baby or whatever it was I still don't fully get that fight!
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Final boss of Metal Slug Advance - no matter how many times I tried it and how much I learnt the attack patterns, I just couldn't do it.

Also, the last boss of Gunhound EX...at least I think it was the last boss. Hard enough battle as it was but eventually, the floor collapses and you're left spinning around through the air trying to shoot on target while rockets, bullets and green energy blasts are all coming for you. Far too difficult for me to beat.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 pm

shiftytigger wrote:That waterfall jump can be tricky - there is an extra magic item hidden if you can dare stay on the log long enough - but even with the 'jump' magic it can be a stretch. Not as bad as the harbour level mind.
iirc, the level that I couldn't get past was the Batman + Spiderman boss bit. I don't think I've been any further than that, but pictures of the Godzilla type boss on a later level scare me off playing. I just think I'd get annihilated

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:45 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:That waterfall jump can be tricky - there is an extra magic item hidden if you can dare stay on the log long enough - but even with the 'jump' magic it can be a stretch. Not as bad as the harbour level mind.
iirc, the level that I couldn't get past was the Batman + Spiderman boss bit. I don't think I've been any further than that, but pictures of the Godzilla type boss on a later level scare me off playing. I just think I'd get annihilated
See, I've been reading about all these fun cameos in the game for years, but've never been able to see any of them for myself :(
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:50 am

I have to agree with Rainbow Islands vampire. He's such an annoying bastard that i even blogged about it:

http://amigamemoirs.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... lands.html

Besides that, from recent memory, i remember being stuck on the last level of Serious Sam 3 or the last boss of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:54 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mootown wrote:
koopa42 wrote:When your girlfriend turns into a freddy kruger monster on Splatterhouse. I've never managed it, I spent 1 billion 20ps trying back in the day. I could get the extra lives, I could even get there without being hit by the end .... but that was the end of that game for me :? I never managed it legit on MAME either. MAG (from RP) is the king of that game though and showed me it was possible at the original Retroball.
If you know when to do the slide move, it's actually do-able without being touched at all. But the game never teaches you the slide move, you just need to figure it out. As for the turning slide as you land move - that's a bit of a t**t to pull off consistently...There was a time when I could 1CC Splatterhouse arcade without being hit. It's largely a memory test. Great game though!
If I remember correctly when Jennifer turns into Monster Jennifer her first to patterns she's jump towards you and you could punch her once, and then back off as she's do that screen filling extending hand move.. Or a lot higher jump..

When she turned back into a woman for the third her patterns would change and she'd hop forward twice and then do the claw, and you had to punch after she landed from her second hop.... That heart of the House boss after her was annoying because of those damn bubbles, the last boss the Baby or whatever it was I still don't fully get that fight
Yeah, the whole wait for hop, punch, move back sequence was pretty easy, I used to slide into him on the 3rd pattern, if it's done right you just take him/it out. I hear you on the bubbles level though - pain in the arse!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

Mootown wrote:When she turned back into a woman for the third her patterns would change and she'd hop forward twice and then do the claw, and you had to punch after she landed from her second hop.... That heart of the House boss after her was annoying because of those damn bubbles, the last boss the Baby or whatever it was I still don't fully get that fight
Yeah, the whole wait for hop, punch, move back sequence was pretty easy, I used to slide into him on the 3rd pattern, if it's done right you just take him/it out. I hear you on the bubbles level though - pain in the arse![/quote]

That slide was damn near impossible to pull most of the time :evil: I know the Mirror 'Jason's could be killed in one hit with the slide just getting the damn thing to work!! I thought you had to be holding forward to gain momentum then do diagonal down at the last second..

Regarding the Baby boss could it hands be dodged on the Replay burners 1cc on replay he seems to jump kick over them and doesn't take a hit..

Slighty of Topic on Ghouls & Ghosts on the first level just after the bridge collapse's he walks through the scenery and goes straight to the suit of Armour boss
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"