Midnight Resistance - Any fans?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scratch_Porkings

Re: Midnight Resistance - Any fans?

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I had the St version first and although I liked it it wasn't till I got it on the Megadrive that I really got into it. personally I think the megadrive version was awesome and of course double awesome 2 player.
Scott me up beamie!

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Did the MD get a PAL release, I thought it was only a JAP game?

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:03 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:Did the MD get a PAL release, I thought it was only a JAP game?
ooh I don't know, my megadrive played Japanese imports because I sawed off two little tabs around the cartridge slot. I used to get my Japanese games from the local market. wow takes me back
Scott me up beamie!

Gren

Post by Gren » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:59 pm

I thought the Amiga version was superb, but the controls were a bit of a nightmare.
Can't remember how the miggy emulated the spinner control for the firing direction, but I definitely remember it being less natural than the coin-op (obviously)!

I think a modern (con)version with twin-stick controls (360 pad) would be good, as someone has already mentioned......
Fresh Spoo?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:36 pm

I remember playing this on 'Western Pier' and getting to the tree level level 3.. For some reason I remember a Tank boss that you could crawl underneath it couldn't hit you but took ages to die..

We had it in Cwmbran but these 2 guys where constantly on it all day and could never get a game, as they could almost 1cc it.. I never saw them pass that giant Skeleton Face called 'King Crimson' thought that was a rock band? Any idea if he was the last boss?

Played the demo version on the C64 can't remember anything about it though
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Owned an Amiga copy of this game and looooved!

Favourite bit? Finishing a level and being almost forced to "pick a weapon"......

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:Did the MD get a PAL release, I thought it was only a JAP game?
Oddly, no, though I *think* it came out in the US though, so will work like a PAL version as it's the same cartridge type. Funny how we didn't get this but DID get Chelnov...always thought that was strange!!!!!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 am

Had the game as part of a pack-in with my C64. Loved it (bar the multiload) but years later I found out that the version packed was incomplete with several levels missing. I also thought the control system worked well considering the limits of the one button joystick. Great music and graphics too.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Great game, like others on here, had the Amiga version.

The flamethrower was a terrific weapon, and picking up those keys which looked like lollipops were the absolute aim of the game. If you didn't have 6 keys on the last level, you had to choose which members of your family to save....naturally, we (me and brother), always ditched the old grandparents and saved the young 'uns! Why were there also loads of Robocops as the drone baddies?

Great memories, great game.