The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

LAIS

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by LAIS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 pm

The history of Championship/Football Manager would be one I'd buy in a heartbeat - along with info about the cult-heroes created by the series, and where they are now - like Kennedy Bakircioglü, Tonton Zola-Moukoko and Sharbel Touma. Maybe a cult-hero XI would be fun.

I'd also like to see a feature on iconically bad games. The likes of Superman 64 and Wand of Gamelon etc. Someone suggested a top 10 of bad games earlier, I'd be OK with that - but I would like to hear a bit of depth behind the stories of some of these stinkers.

With the impending releases of the PS4 and Xbox One, I'd like to see a feature on console launches. Launch days and the build-up are always good fun, and it'd be great to relive that, and learn more about them from a developer perspective.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:14 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:Strictly speaking the Panther was not by Flare, it was already well into development at Atari when Flare came on board to take a look at it.
Aha! And who was originally doing the Panther?

If "Games that weren't" are interesting, it is nothing compared to "Hardware that wasn't"!
The Jag article picked up on this in the most recent (#119) issue.
I still think a "Grand Tree of Hardware people" 2-page spread would be interesting.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm

I'd love to see you make an article or two about niche/unknown gaming companies from Europe. Eastern Europe, Germany, Sweden... There ought to be something interesting to be found there! For example, Paradox from Sweden, reknowned for their Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series, could be interesting to know more about. Granted, they formed in the late 90s, so most of their games are too new, but Europa Universalis 1 came out in 2000, so it's kind of retro. Or take one of the German companies which have made adventure games after it was seen as uncool in the end of the 90s. Surely there must be material there?

Or if you want to do a theme: History in games. As in, real life history. I'm a history buff (master degree in it too!), and love the chance to change history and perhaps learn something new from Europa Universalis, Civilization(the civilopedia in Civ1 and Civ2 particulary was awesome!), Romance of the three Kingdoms, Gettysburg, Imperialism... The list goes on.:)

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:20 pm

I'd love to read a feature about the Amiga PD software and also about DOS shareware. I know, it'll be a VAST feature... :lol:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:16 pm

How about a series of "The port is better than the original"? (Inspired by the recent thread by Darran about what version of a game you want.)

Some times a game simply was better in its ported version than the original. Happened the odd times from arcades, but was probably more frequent between home versions - everybody seems to love the GameBoy Tetris version to bits.
Last edited by NorthWay on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:33 am

More about PC Engine/Turbo shmups please.

SaruwatariKaito

Post by SaruwatariKaito » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Aside from 'Why Nintendo Changed Gaming', what are the great articles you're still waiting to read about in your favourite retro magazine?
I don't contribute to the forums as much as I like, but wanted to share my interest in seeing something about the below mentioned.

I would like to see a 3 part article that covers Flight Simulations in general and 1 that covers FALCON series and SubLogic / Microsoft Flight Simulator. There have been a lot of good flight simulations, and also bad ones and there became a time where flight sims were just being hammered out of studios because the demand was there.

Also something that talks about the history of the Space strategy / arcade / simulations.

I'm sure their are a few of us out here that love these areas, I also collect flight simulations from different platforms

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

There was a bluffers guide to flight sims a few issues back.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

A bluffers guide to first person shooters. :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:53 pm

We need a Resogun review and a comment from Archer!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

NorthWay wrote:We need a Resogun review and a comment from Archer!
We don't have a PS4 (we're not given priority which makes perfect sense) so unless I can jump on another machine at work it will have to wait. Or not happen.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:32 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:unless I can jump on another machine at work it will have to wait. Or not happen.
Booo! It's Dropzone man! Looks so at least. Don't you have some cousins you can pester over at GamesTM? :-)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:54 pm

That will most likely happen, although deadlones mean we wont be covering it until january now

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:That will most likely happen, although deadlones mean we wont be covering it until january now
That's fine, it's practically retro so it wont get old. Erm... hang on a minute. (This has the potential to be right in so many wrong ways!)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 am

As mentioned in another topic, and earlier in this one- A feature of the TI99/4a.

It's a great machine, with some incredible games and homebrews. As far as I know, it has yet to have a decent feature on it and really deserves one. :)