Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

they look nice. Annoying that you can't get all Cadbury's stuff everywhere. Their Tiffin and Golden Crisp bars in Ireland are lovely.

EDIT: my mistake, found it now - was called Cabana!

looked like this: http://www.oldschoolsweets.com/wp-conte ... 00x275.jpg

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:sort of off topic but i've noticed my local tesco supermarket has started doing US chocolate bars that i used to see in films and wondered what they were like.

next week i'll try tootsie roll and milk duds,i think that's all i recognise by brand name there.too bad there isn't any twinkies because i've wanted to try one.
Most US candy bars are a blast from the past for as I spent time there in the 70s and still have family in Michigan and Oregon so I grew up with many them and still get some sent over by family in food parcels a couple of times a year.

I would recommend Tootsie Rolls over Milk Duds as although I like the latter some people find them a bit waxy. Other candy bars to seek out are Zagnut (like Butterfingers but coated with toasted coconut and slightly less peanut buttery...currently enjoying a resurgence as US forces in the desert love them as they don't melt), Three Musketeers, 100 Grand, Heath, Oh Henry! Mr Goodbar, Take 5, Zero and Whatchamacallit bars.

Give Hersheys bars a try, a lot of UK people don't like them but some do.

Twinkies...yes, they're about as artificial and sugar loaded as you can get and rumoured to be able to survive nuclear war...but they're oh so nice in a wrong way (even Mrs Von likes them along with Peppermint Patties and Saltwater Taffy).

Non-candy items that bring back good memories for me are Grape Jelly, Carnation Malted Milk, Grahams crackers, Honey Maid Cinnamon Grahams, Cream of Wheat, Grits and Koeze peanut butter (the best in the world :) ). All recommended.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 am

thingonaspring wrote:yeah we've had a US section in our tescos for awhile. i even paid £5 for some lucky charms to see if i still liked them. i didn't. i haven't paid £7 for some proper Fruit Loops though yet (the other UK available ones just aren't the same, or how I remember them at all)...
Ha - I bought a small box of Fruit Loops from Singapore (I love foreign ceral aisles! Hell - I love ALL cereal aisles!!), got them home, and noticed they'd started selling them in Tesco by me. D'oh!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Phileas Fogg California Corn chips. Circa late 80's early 90's.

Best snack ever. Sadly no longer with us.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:anyone remember a wispa-shaped chocolate bar that has a coconut and cherry filling? Possible called Cariba?
I remember this vivdly, apart from the name. It may have been...wait, wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5qDKaeQ9GI

I was always curious about them but sadly don't remember ever actually trying one.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:30 pm

SirPsychoSexy wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:anyone remember a wispa-shaped chocolate bar that has a coconut and cherry filling? Possible called Cariba?

I was always curious about them but sadly don't remember ever actually trying one.
Amazing! I have no recollection of this advert, but yes Cabana's were delicious. (I always thought they were Cadbury's and called Cariba which is why it took me so long to find them on the net...old age...)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:40 am

Don't know if it's the same in the rest of the country, but at the moment you can't move around here for shops selling nothing but American sweets (well, "candy"). There's at LEAST four within a ten minute walk of my place, plus maybe seven more in town and a couple up in Southport as well. It's the newest fad, like when you used to see places everywhere where you could get fish to eat the stuff from between your toes.

With regards to the American foodstuffs though, butter beer is amazingly delicious, Butterfinger is highly disgusting, and Mike & Ike's are wonderful little liquorice things which Americans don't really seem to like.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
SirPsychoSexy wrote:

Amazing! I have no recollection of this advert, but yes Cabana's were delicious. (I always thought they were Cadbury's and called Cariba which is why it took me so long to find them on the net...old age...)
I always prefered a cabana rather than a bounty, also miss Banjo and seems im the only one th a t rememberd a coconut boost,peanut boost before they transformed into the glucose mush of these days.

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 am

Do they even make dark/plain chocolate Bounty bars anymore?

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Yer, haven't seen a dark bounty in a while either...

I remember Banjo - the red one was peanut?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:55 pm

SirPsychoSexy wrote:Do they even make dark/plain chocolate Bounty bars anymore?
Red wrapper ones? Yep.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 pm

The original BOOST bar. Red wrapper. Coconut and caramel filling.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:19 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Don't know if it's the same in the rest of the country, but at the moment you can't move around here for shops selling nothing but American sweets (well, "candy"). There's at LEAST four within a ten minute walk of my place, plus maybe seven more in town and a couple up in Southport as well. It's the newest fad, like when you used to see places everywhere where you could get fish to eat the stuff from between your toes.

With regards to the American foodstuffs though, butter beer is amazingly delicious, Butterfinger is highly disgusting, and Mike & Ike's are wonderful little liquorice things which Americans don't really seem to like.
There are a couple here but they're stupidly expensive...£2 for a Payday or Three Musketeers. That's $3 for a 70c candy bar. That's why my family are absolute lifesavers sending a few bars over along with grocery items you can't seem to get in the UK or which if you can you could buy a house in North Dakota for a similar price :)

As for Butterfingers, it all depends on what you are used to/grew up with. I love them but then I also like 5th Avenues, Zagnuts and Chick-o-Sticks which are similar but I hate Bounty bars. Lion bars and Licorice Allsorts.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Treguard wrote:Does anyone remember the Alton Towers Nemesis drink? It was kind of liquorice-ey.

Yes!! I used to love the stuff...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:52 am

Please tell me that's your can and you stockpiled a massive load of the stuff when it was available :D :D :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.