Why is Retro Gamer so much expensive ?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cowboy

Why is Retro Gamer so much expensive ?

Post by cowboy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm

I wanted to buy today in Munich Germany The Mega Drive/SNES Book [1] from Retro Gamer but the prize was enormous. It was 25€ (Euros). The Magazine is 12€ in England (10£). The thing I do not understand is if I order the Magazine online over Amazon or imagineshop.co.uk I pay less then 18€ (order + shipment). So why does it cost 25€ in Munich magazine/book shops ? I am sure the shops does not have to pay 5.50£ for shipment ,they do get the shipment cost much less, also I get it that the shop sellers want a profit for them. So 2€ to 3€ would be ok. I do not mind paying 20€ for the Magazine because I really like Retro Gamer but 25€ is just too much. I wonder why is it so expensive ? Is it profitable at this cost ?

1. https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/index.php ... snes-book/

kiwimike

Re: Why is Retro Gamer so much expensive ?

Post by kiwimike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:44 pm

IMO it MUST be whoever distributes the mag within regions.

I'll give you an example. For me to purchase the most recent mag direct from the online store, it costs me $21 NZ airfreighted, and takes about seven days to get here. That includes a hefty P&P- but is fast, and very well packed in a solid bubble bag.

When you buy from a local store here, it is around $23 NZ- But is the surface mail edition of about three issues prior! But on a recent trip to Australia, found their price was about half that, which shocked me completely. Something does not add up- like the local distributor is screwing you for air freight but not actually providing that service. :(

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 pm

That does seem a lot. Can you order it frlm the UK Imagine Publishing site?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:07 am

RetroBob wrote:That does seem a lot. Can you order it frlm the UK Imagine Publishing site?
Yes I can order from Imagine Publishing for 18€ (Order + Shipment), but I would expect the Magazine to be the also 18€ in the Munich Book Stores or just less more. The book stores get better shipment prizes because the order a lot of Magazines. But 25€ is just ridiculous!

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:13 pm

kiwimike wrote:IMO it MUST be whoever distributes the mag within regions.

I'll give you an example. For me to purchase the most recent mag direct from the online store, it costs me $21 NZ airfreighted, and takes about seven days to get here. That includes a hefty P&P- but is fast, and very well packed in a solid bubble bag.

When you buy from a local store here, it is around $23 NZ- But is the surface mail edition of about three issues prior! But on a recent trip to Australia, found their price was about half that, which shocked me completely. Something does not add up- like the local distributor is screwing you for air freight but not actually providing that service. :(
yep something is wrong here

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:18 pm

As I said, the retailers and/or the distributors are taking more than a fair share of the slice, and is responsible for the greedy markups.

The ironic thing is we are ALWAYS having campaigns down here to encourage us to shop locally rather than online, but IMO they are charging far too much. You used to be able to get away with it- In the age of the net you can see what things cost, and freight, and you know you are being ripped off. Of course you have wages and other factors to suggest you can expect to pay a bit more, but not the markups that many still think they can get away with :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:20 pm

cowboy wrote:
kiwimike wrote:IMO it MUST be whoever distributes the mag within regions.

yep something is wrong here
The good news is the online store is excellent. Just vote with your wallet and just get it direct :)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:58 pm

kiwimike - I've always found RG to be $21 on the shelf in NZ - I've even found a shop in Ellerslie that was only 2 months behind instead of the normal 3. I have bought each issue on its own from the online shop for the last 5 years, and have never once had a problem with it not turning up or not being in pristine condition.

Generally the magazine retailers in NZ get the mag for 75% of the fullprice, so you can assume the shops are buying it for $15 - its more likely that its the distributors who are marking it up.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 am

antsbull wrote:kiwimike - I've always found RG to be $21 on the shelf in NZ - I've even found a shop in Ellerslie that was only 2 months behind instead of the normal 3. I have bought each issue on its own from the online shop for the last 5 years, and have never once had a problem with it not turning up or not being in pristine condition.

Generally the magazine retailers in NZ get the mag for 75% of the fullprice, so you can assume the shops are buying it for $15 - its more likely that its the distributors who are marking it up.
I totally agree with you, after seeing it for half the price In Aussie I have no doubt it's the Distributors, Ant. Down here in the South- When you can find it now as all our decent mag stores have gone after the quakes(!), it tends to be either 21.90 or 22.90.
Our last store that had it (a local independent game store) closed a few months ago. It's just as easy to get it online, and then you have the current issue for the same price as you bought it off the shelf here for a 3-4 month old issue :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 am

Subscribe to the mag online and you'll get all the content in these bookazines, negating the need to buy them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am

Well I was very happy when I saw that book stores are selling the Retro Bookazine also, it is just sad that I will have to buy it online.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm

As long as you realise its a compilation of old mag articles
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:07 pm

cowboy wrote:Well I was very happy when I saw that book stores are selling the Retro Bookazine also, it is just sad that I will have to buy it online.
Yeah, very fair point :)

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Subscribe to the mag online and you'll get all the content in these bookazines, negating the need to buy them.
Yep, true.
That's what I did and I am very happy with it. 8)

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:46 am

If you have an iPad, consider subscribing there(I do!).:) The mag costs ca 130 NOK (ca 16 euro) for a single issue here, while a single issue on iPad costs 36 NOK(ca 4.4 euro!). A half year's subscription cost 136 NOK, in other words about the same as a single issue in paper! Given the Apple store price policy, I would imagine it will cost about the same for you as for me.