They think everyone is like them..... made of money! :x
PlayStation: 22 | GameCube: 9
Mega Drive: 23 | Mega-CD: 26 | 32X: 7
Master System: 20+4 Cards | Saturn: 11 | N64: 31

My Want List

markopoloman

Re: British Gas

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:09 pm

I was with Southern Electric until I moved to EDF last week on a fixed 2 year thingy. Saving me 489 quid a year!!!!

Everyone should jump ship from these thieving bastrds
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 am

"Crook, crook, crook, crookability, that's the beauty of gas..."

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:29 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:(and others)

you greedy b@stards!
The harsh rise in price is not what angers me the most, it's the absolute Bull5hit/B0ll0cks and downright lying when it comes to "justifying" the reason behind said rise

Ian Peters from British Gas told BBC News it was down to increasing wholesale energy and transport costs, along with the rising costs of the government's social and environmental programmes.

Why can't you just also add, "we have to make money for our share-holders".

After their (British Gas) epic fail on twitter, this also hit the news today -

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/437468 ... price-hike

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:20 pm

i hope the one positive thing to come from this is people get off their backsides and check the deals and if they can save money GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDES AND DO IT

i've checked mine (again) tonight and am still winning, i get the feeling even if there was no internet or i was an old person i would still be there with old bills, calculator and lists of every companies rates lol.

James A

Post by James A » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm

There is a lot of truth to the green energy subsides ramping up the prices a lot for everyones bills. Hell I even found myself agreeing with the Sun paper the other day!!!!!

But yeah British Gas ramping the price up then awarding the boss a 2 million pound bonus.

Im surprised no ones tried to organise a mass tariff swap of customers that tried to bankrupt one of these company's.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:06 pm

James A wrote:There is a lot of truth to the green energy subsides ramping up the prices a lot for everyones bills. Hell I even found myself agreeing with the Sun paper the other day!!!!!

But yeah British Gas ramping the price up then awarding the boss a 2 million pound bonus.

Im surprised no ones tried to organise a mass tariff swap of customers that tried to bankrupt one of these company's.

They paid out 16 Million to FIVE of their top brass. That's small change to them though, but instead of paying these obscene bonuses, they could have handed it down to their customers (whouldn't have been much, maybe - but it would still have been a help).

Yes, I know that wholesale gas prices have gone up, and so too have several other factors but if you look at what they make in pure profit after all those expences have been taken into account, they are still sitting on a tidy profit.

They fleece us because the share-holders demand it.

And even with this much vaunted price-freeze for 15/16 months. It would be no help afterwards, as they could (if they wanted to) then raise the price by anoth 15-25% if they so pleased - and we'd all just have to deal with it.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Much as I hate to say it-the grid and supply should be re-nationalised, privatisation has been a total failure for the consumer due to the behind the scenes price fixing that all the suppliers indulge in.
If the market was not rigged then shurely one of the suppliers would refuse to raise prices simply to relieve the other suppliers of their customer base, but it will never happen, as soon as one major supplier raises prices the rest invariably follow.
It would also be nice to have full disclosure of all MP's share prtfolio's just to see how many actually hold shares in these companies.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:03 am

My thoughts exactly, it's a cartel. It only takes one company to have the balls to not raise their prices and the amount of new customers they would get would be unbelievable and they would make a pot more cash. In turn this would cause compititon and then every company would have to lower the prices. Hence why it does to happen proving to me it's rigged so none of them tread on each other's toes. Ofcom what a joke they cannot do anything about it. Takes them months to look into something only to tell us what we already know what they are going to say and do nothing :evil: always the same for products people need and cannot do without. Take glasses. Yes there is lots of deals but they are still damned expensive, but people need them. Mark up is horrific, frames and this includes designer ones cost very little. About £15 cost on average :shock:

GameOver

Post by GameOver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:59 am

Everyone complains but don't think for one minute about actually buying shares for themselves and taking the dividend payments. Dividends that for the majority of people are tax-free, even outside an ISA. Dividends which increase year on year. If you've changed to a lower tariff, or now pay less on a new mortgage, take the money you've saved and invest it.

James A

Post by James A » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 am

silvergunner wrote:My thoughts exactly, it's a cartel. It only takes one company to have the balls to not raise their prices and the amount of new customers they would get would be unbelievable and they would make a pot more cash. In turn this would cause compititon and then every company would have to lower the prices. Hence why it does to happen proving to me it's rigged so none of them tread on each other's toes. Ofcom what a joke they cannot do anything about it. Takes them months to look into something only to tell us what we already know what they are going to say and do nothing :evil: always the same for products people need and cannot do without. Take glasses. Yes there is lots of deals but they are still damned expensive, but people need them. Mark up is horrific, frames and this includes designer ones cost very little. About £15 cost on average :shock:
Not energy wise but I work for Severn Trent Water and get shares and they are very handy with the dividends. If anybody has got spare cash to invest I would recommend putting some of it into shares of a big utility company.

On a side note with STW we are investing in a lot of energy creation assets (Wind Power, Anaerobic Digestion Plants & hydro electric). its mainly to power our own onsite equipment but we do feed back into the grid. Over time that's going to increase and I think you will find a lot more companies doing this.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Would certainly consider shares but like 95% of the country I don't have any real spare cash these days to buy an amount that would make me any real money. And with the price of everything constantly going up it's even more unlikely to happen that's for sure

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote: They paid out 16 Million to FIVE of their top brass. That's small change to them though, but instead of paying these obscene bonuses, they could have handed it down to their customers (whouldn't have been much, maybe - but it would still have been a help).

Yes, I know that wholesale gas prices have gone up, and so too have several other factors but if you look at what they make in pure profit after all those expences have been taken into account, they are still sitting on a tidy profit.

They fleece us because the share-holders demand it.

And even with this much vaunted price-freeze for 15/16 months. It would be no help afterwards, as they could (if they wanted to) then raise the price by anoth 15-25% if they so pleased - and we'd all just have to deal with it.
This is why privitisation isn't always a good thing, especially when it comes to publicly owned and run sectors. Sometimes its better that the state runs and owns certain things.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Don't forget though, while some greedy fat bastard is being awarded £2million for ripping you off, they'll still put out ads and leaflets with 'helpful' advice on how to wrap up warm this winter with blankets and stuff...you know, because it's the customer's fault that their bills are so high, right? :evil:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!