How much last gen stuff is too much?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

My maximum interest in last gen content

2 pages
34%
4 pages
22%
6 pages
26%
8 pages
11%
10 pages
7%

Total votes: 76

retrosofer

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by retrosofer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 am

gman72 wrote:
QwakAttak wrote: I think I would have to seriously consider whether I stayed a loyal subscriber if the mag went too far over to catering for the 19 - 25 year old market.
If I could make a couple of points...
Putting a couple of PS2/GC/Xbox articles in does not just cater for the 19-25 market. I'm 40.
I also maintain that if you abandoned the mag because of an occasional PS2 article then you don't really like the mag anyway.
Have to agree, i really like Revels, but i dont like the toffee Revels, but i still buy them because i like all the others which i'll eat, the toffee ones i skip and pass on to someone who does like them.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 am

retrosofer wrote:
gman72 wrote:
QwakAttak wrote: I think I would have to seriously consider whether I stayed a loyal subscriber if the mag went too far over to catering for the 19 - 25 year old market.
If I could make a couple of points...
Putting a couple of PS2/GC/Xbox articles in does not just cater for the 19-25 market. I'm 40.
I also maintain that if you abandoned the mag because of an occasional PS2 article then you don't really like the mag anyway.
Have to agree, i really like Revels, but i dont like the toffee Revels, but i still buy them because i like all the others which i'll eat, the toffee ones i skip and pass on to someone who does like them.
No, what you should do is threaten to stop buying revels if there is more than 2 toffee revels in any one pack. Because in your opinion you do not consider them true revels and if they continue to keep putting them in then the sweets will be no longer for you. Then say you don't care about anyone else who likes the Toffee revels because the entire bag should cater only to your needs and only have contents that you personally like.

You are doing it all wrong man, you are being far to passive and actually being considerate of what other people would like. :D

QwakAttak

Post by QwakAttak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:54 am

Really? By all means join in the analogy about the revels - but please keep it nice. (mod)

So, yeah.. magazine stuff n that.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 am

QwakAttak wrote:'Stupid nonsense'

So, yeah.. magazine stuff n that.
Cheers for that.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:03 am

Well I'm 34, started playing games in about 1985, and would love to see more stuff covered from the late 1990s. Sony/Sega/Nintendo plus I'm sure lots of stuff that I missed (I never had a neo geo or pc engine but like reading about them in the mag).

RG - can you please do a feature on Blade Runner on the PC?? 1997, plenty retro!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 am

I'd also like to see alot of the Star Trek PC games from 1995-2000 featured in the mag. Plus Elite Force 1/2 are ripe for the picking, especially considering we have had articles on Counter Strike and Half Life.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:53 pm

I think this really comes down to the games as much as their generation - something like ICO, Rez or Shadow of Colossus is well worth my reading time. Obviously FIFA12 less so

merman

Post by merman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:27 am

retrosofer wrote:I'd also like to see alot of the Star Trek PC games from 1995-2000 featured in the mag. Plus Elite Force 1/2 are ripe for the picking, especially considering we have had articles on Counter Strike and Half Life.
I did a round-up of Star Trek games for gamesTM recently, so I have a few contacts...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01 am

My main beef with covering last generation is that many of those kind of games are the antithesis of what is "retro". It's all about what games are covered, not when they were made. I can understand the inclusion of Viewtiful Joe, but not Vice City for example.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

merman wrote:
retrosofer wrote:I'd also like to see alot of the Star Trek PC games from 1995-2000 featured in the mag. Plus Elite Force 1/2 are ripe for the picking, especially considering we have had articles on Counter Strike and Half Life.
I did a round-up of Star Trek games for gamesTM recently, so I have a few contacts...
what issue was that? I've got a bit behind in the gamesTMs, but that sounds good

merman

Post by merman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
merman wrote:
what issue was that? I've got a bit behind in the gamesTMs, but that sounds good
Issue 136. There are so many games it's more tightly packed than Commander Riker's leggings...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 am

thanks, will pull that out of the GamesTM pile today

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Can we have some articles on the Gameboy Advance now please. All those kids that grew up with it in 2000 would be in their 20's by now!

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:49 am

The more the merrier!

I'm a lot more familiar with these systems than most. But perhaps I'm just being selfish...

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 pm

RuySan wrote:My main beef with covering last generation is that many of those kind of games are the antithesis of what is "retro". It's all about what games are covered, not when they were made. I can understand the inclusion of Viewtiful Joe, but not Vice City for example.
Vice City? The game set in the 80's, with a booming 80's soundtrack, coupled with a superb tongue in cheek viewpoint of the whole decade. Why would you not want that covered?

Eat your nans pants