5 Games that Define the Gamecube

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

5 Games that Define the Gamecube

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Ok, after my £10 impluse buy, I'm looking to add a few games.... and I'm looking for the 5 games that define the console...

Anyone help with this??
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

retrojc

Re: 5 Games that Define the Gamecube

Post by retrojc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:10 pm

For me, the GameCube would be useless without.

1 - Resident Evil (Zero, 1 and 4).
2 - Pikmin 2
3 - P.N.03
4 - Mario Golf
5 - Gladius

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin
Viewtiful Joe
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

llj

Post by llj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm

1. Resident Evil Remake--The best video game remake ever?
2. Resident Evil 4--No need to explain
3. Zelda Windwaker--Cartoon Link. We see its impact today on the DS games.
4. Viewtiful Joe--Was a big hit in its day. GC still the best version.
5. Tales of Symphonia--Still the most popular Tales game in the west, and was the most well known out of a handful of GC JRPGs on the console.

Honorable mentions: Eternal Darkness, Chibi-Robo, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Animal Crossing, Killer 7

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Pikmin
Zelda Windwaker
Chibi Robo
Animal Crossing
Mario Golf

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, if you like a good strategy rpg it doesn't get much better than that.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 pm

fzero gx
luigis mansion
Zelda wind waker
star wars rogue squadron 2
super monkey ball
get these too...
pikmin
Mario sunshine
Metroid prime

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

1 Type of game that DOESN'T define the GameCube - Fighters.

What decent fighters ever made it onto the console? I know the lame 3D Mortal Kombats did, and Soul Calibur 2. Where there any decent Street Fighter games for it?

And please don't say Super Smash Bros :wink:

llj

Post by llj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Capcom vs SNK 2 made it to the GC. It's not bad, but only if you had a fight controller for the GC. Which makes it pointless to get as who would get a fight controller just to play one game?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:1 Type of game that DOESN'T define the GameCube - Fighters.

What decent fighters ever made it onto the console? I know the lame 3D Mortal Kombats did, and Soul Calibur 2. Where there any decent Street Fighter games for it?

And please don't say Super Smash Bros :wink:
That would be Capcom vs SNK 2 EO edition.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm

llj wrote:Capcom vs SNK 2 made it to the GC. It's not bad, but only if you had a fight controller for the GC. Which makes it pointless to get as who would get a fight controller just to play one game?
Ah, you beat me to it! :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:59 pm

not many fighting games on the cube, true. soul calibur 2 is great though, and I have a soft spot for bloody roar primal fury (the character models are ace and the game plays nicely- couple of suspect backgrounds let it down slightly).

I like Capcom vs snk EO, even on the joypad. Don't use the EO mode though it makes the game too easy.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 pm

1. Resi Evil Remake
2. Super Mario Sunshine
3. Metroid Prime
4. Eternal Darkness
5. Geist

This is my top five. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm going to steer you away from the usual suspects like Resi 4, SSBM, SMSunshine, Zeldas, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin and the like because they'll be mentioned often and with good reason!

If you want something a little different we'll go off the beaten track a bit.. :) So, in no particular order:

1. Doshin the Giant . A god sim. Just nuts. Not very pretty to look at as it was conceived for the N64DD but strangely compelling to play.

2. Ribbit King. A mixture of golf, see saws and frogs. How can you possibly go wrong? :D Very bizarre and great fun.

3. Donkey Konga: Jungle Beat. Not, as you'd expect, a rhythm action game but a platformer that uses the bongos as the control method. Plays MUCH better than it sounds, its one of the GC's best hidden gems, imo.

4.Baten Kaitos. A must if you like jrpg's. Steer clear if you don't. Turn-based with a card-based battle system, its certainly a niche title. Graphically beautiful with fabulous music. (crap voice acting, though)

5.Pacman Vs. Simply the most multiplayer fun you can have on the 'cube.....and suitably retro :D You will need a GBA, extra controllers and link up cable, which makes it an expensive proposition, if you don't already have them.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:38 pm

1. A freeloader disc.
2. Baten Kaitos (as Trev said its a bit niche but if card battle jrpgs are youre bag then its a fantastically pretty game.
3. Ribbit King (see 1) - crazy kiddie friendly frog golf. Awesome and probably great fun drunk.
4. Luigis Mansion - easy yes but a great bit of fun on the way.
5. Ridge Racer / Pacman vs - Not sure what ridge racer plays like because we have spent so much time playing Pacman. Another 4 player game that is great for party play.though 3 gba's and link cables are needed its still rad.

There are better but thats relative. We like Mario smash football and Kirbys air ride too but theyre not everyones cup of tea.