How much last gen stuff is too much?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

My maximum interest in last gen content

2 pages
34%
4 pages
22%
6 pages
26%
8 pages
11%
10 pages
7%

Total votes: 76

Eric

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Think it's still too early to start bringing more last gen stuff. Maybe issue 200 should mark the move to New Retro Gamer? :)

Voted for 2 pages with Future Classic in mind. I like the format of Future Classic (not the colour scheme) but the games featured never interested me and I rarely agreed with RG that they would end up to be a classic in the future.

I'm a fan of the 8/16 bit time but I think it would be the right thing for the mag to very very slowly introduce in the 3D polygon generations at some point. Just not yet, more pixels & sprites please. :D

As for pinball in Retro Gamer I don't agree. A one off feature similar to the Simon & Table Top articles would be nice and I think a Pinball Gamer magazine would probably do ok on it's own.

I only recently played a real pinball machine when last year HMV had a few set up. A bit expensive but it was fantastic and obviously video game versions are no where near emulating them.
Would like to play this:- Robocop table http://youtu.be/0lQ7bLZDj7I

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:57 pm

retrosofer wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: And while I've been a naysayer on the non-videogame coverage in the past, I can't help dredge up the argument that the mag is Retro Gamer not Retro Videogamer. That's partly because I want mechanical 'video' games to be featured though, all those old mechanical driving and shooting games fascinate me.
Well, the majority will take precedence on the Pinball issue. However, if this is Retro Gamer rather than Retro Videogamer, I look forward to articles on Chess, Backgammon, scabby queen, Twister, Hopscotch & Tiddily Winks :wink:
You also forgot articles on games such as Pogs, Conkers, bull dog, hopscotch, tag, subbuteo, Lego etc

They played some pretty odd games in your arcades then!! :lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:02 am

^^ Games aren't just the sole preserve of arcades y'know :wink:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:45 pm

I'm thinking of the things that led to videogames, the things they replaced and what videogames have now become - all the machines that offered experiences not readily available. Used to be we'd have mechanical racing, shooting, flying etc (and pinball of course). Then videogames and took over that section of the arcade and the old machines disappeared. When the PS1 arrived we finally had arcade experiences at home, so now arcade videogames have gone back to big guns and other cabs that aren't easily replicated.

Not so much games in general, but all those things with cultural links to videogames, the things that occupied that space.

Certainly if we're expanding to a global (and inevitably the large US) market, then pinball has a significant interest (and pinball mags do (or did) exist).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Have any of you read up on pinball, its history and development etc? I'm pretty much a home computer guy, but one of the books I bought covers mainly the early arcade era which is pre-videogame and pinball is easily as readable a subject as videogames. There are a lot of parallels in the design, gameplay and the industry itself. If anything, I probably enjoy reading about pinball more than playing it!

And while I've been a naysayer on the non-videogame coverage in the past, I can't help dredge up the argument that the mag is Retro Gamer not Retro Videogamer. That's partly because I want mechanical 'video' games to be featured though, all those old mechanical driving and shooting games fascinate me.
God yes! :D I'd never really thought about that before, but I'd love to see those old mechanical arcaders featured. They really are a true definition of a 'Retro Game.' Those at least deserve a really good feature on them.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Yeah, I'd like to see some more "Making of" type articles on PS1/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox games....or looks at the lesser known/ obscure titles for these systems!

I've went for 6 pages, but I also wouldn't mind if it went over for articles with a lot of info to offer! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:22 pm

4 pages are okay. And more than enough. :-D

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 am

2-4 pages is fine. Just up the pages for the gen before (not enough PS1 era in the mag).

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:19 am

You can never have enough Gamecube!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:03 pm

deadpan666 wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see some more "Making of" type articles on PS1/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox games....or looks at the lesser known/ obscure titles for these systems!
10,000 times THIS ^^^^

There are so many obscure titles for these systems that would make for great articles. Is the overall lack of articles for these systems something to do with the mags resources? As in its easier to get hold of some British bloke that coded a game in his bedroom in the 80s than it is to get hold of people in the bigger teams that made games for the above systems, often in other countries? Is this why the mags focus is to remain solidly in the 8bit era even though there seems to be a repeated and growing demand for articles on games and hardware from around the 10 year cut off point?

If limited resources is the reason then the articles that growing numbers of us would like to see are unlikely to ever emerge unless the mags monthly sales sky rocket. Whilst this is a shame if im honest it wouldn't stop me buying the mag because im into 8 and 16 bit stuff too but if the same few writers are churning out articles on the same few systems then things will eventually get stale.

Certainly starting with more articles on PS1 and Saturn would be a very welcome shot-in-the-arm for the a magazine that whilst always lovingly put together and not yet stale is certainly starting to tread water.

Obviously those that only want 8 or 16 bit coverage will always be well catered for and will have no issues with the mags content. I obviously understand this and also how difficult it must be to try and please everyone every time. These are my opinions that stem from the OPs original question. :D
Last edited by gman72 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Indeed. Very collectable system too, with the mini discs and all.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:32 pm

gman72 wrote:Certainly starting with more articles on PS1 and Saturn would be a very welcome shot-in-the-arm for the a magazine that whilst always lovingly put together and not yet stale is certainly starting to tread water.
Part of my problem with this is that so much of it was well documented at the time. Mags like Edge and others of the era were positively bursting with interviews and behind the scenes stuff, so often I'd be rereading material I'd read 15 years ago.

Its not to say there can't be interesting articles on PS1 (even though its not retro ;) ), but it needs some careful choices to be made.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I believe RG IS treading water and has been for a while... I mean, there is still way too much space devoted to 8 and 16 bit computers IMHO. Reading these boards from time to time, RG seems to be taken hostage by hardened old schoolers who won't accept a shift in the magazine, even though it's been covering the Spectrum and Commodore for the bulk of its print run so far. (By the way, I've bought every issue since 2009, whether by subscribing our through Imagine - let me tell you postage to Canada isn't cheap when you order a bunch of old issues!)

By the way, I'm 36 so I'm not a kid who grew up on Xbox and whatnot (never ever owned a MS console actually).

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
gman72 wrote:Certainly starting with more articles on PS1 and Saturn would be a very welcome shot-in-the-arm for the a magazine that whilst always lovingly put together and not yet stale is certainly starting to tread water.
Part of my problem with this is that so much of it was well documented at the time. Mags like Edge and others of the era were positively bursting with interviews and behind the scenes stuff, so often I'd be rereading material I'd read 15 years ago.

Its not to say there can't be interesting articles on PS1 (even though its not retro ;) ), but it needs some careful choices to be made.

Fair point dude, but the same can be said of RG tbh. I have been buying RG since the early issues and am still subscribed, its easily the best games magazine out there, but for some time now, RG has been treading the same old water with the same old games, series, and companies. In this months RG (issue 120) for example, there is an article on Oddworld, but there was an article on the game or series not so many months back, a two page thing on Star Wars Arcade, a game that has been featured tons of times and an article on Earthworm Jim, which has been covered before. While they are all very good articles, the mag feels abit like deja vu every new issue. Zelda, Final Fantasy, Earthworm Jim, Super Star Wars, Star Wars games in general, any and all Lucus Arts games, Lucus Arts themselves, Ultimate & Rare and any of their games, Final Fight, Mario, Resident Evil, Flashback, Star Fox, Sensible Software, Cannon Fodder, Street Fighter, Mario Cart have all been done, done again, done some more, done thrice over, done completely and done then some more thrice over again. These are just some off the top of my head, but considering RG has covered them loads of times before then its all been said and documented before and there isn't anything you could write about these that hasn't been said a million times over and that most people dont know already.

Having said that though i would like to say that issues 115 through to 119 have been the best issues of RG in a very long time even with some repeated games/series articles, these issues have felt much like RG back on its feet again. The RG team do a great job and i relise its no easy task, and they can only put in whats submitted.

But i think now is a perfect time to start featuring Xbox, PS2, GameCube stuff with next gen about to hit our shores, and certainly more Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast stuff would be much appreciated. I love all the 8/16-bit stuff, but would definitally like to start seeing more of the former.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

But then you could argue there were certain franchises and companies that got disproportionate coverage in Edge, so RG can redress the balance by covering new and previously unheard stories regardless of the generation.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube