What hardware doesn't get enough love?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

What hardware doesn't get enough love?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Going forward I want to ensure that there is an interesting hardware feature every month. Are there any machines that you feel don't get enough coverage and what would you want to see about them? Please bare in mind that I am not sitting on a stack of classic systems, so getting photography needs to be considered.

We've just done Jaguar and have 3DO planned for the issue after. Let me know what you'd like to see and if I can secure machines and a suitable freelancer I'll get on the case.

Sel Feena

Re: What hardware doesn't get enough love?

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:59 pm

I'd plump for the BBC Micro, never owned one but we used it at school quite a lot. First exposure to a computing system, always seemed like a neat little machine. :)

...And maybe the occasional article about PSP games (Future Classics?) now and again would be nice.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Apple II. I know you guys do lots with it now and I love every single bit of it, but I am greedy for more.

always, greedy for more. unsatiably.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Vic20
Vic20
Vic20
Vic20
Vic20
Vic20
Vic20
Vic20
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Bear in mind I'm talking about hardware coverage, and not games based on that hardware.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Never mind the bit about PSP Future Classics then, but still, stuff about the BBC Micro, and especially stuff about those awesome programmable Turtle doohickeys would be most welcome!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm

MSX, Commodore 16 and PC Engine. And if unreleased hardware counts, the Commodore 65 :)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:26 pm

We've just done hardware features on PC Engine and BBC Micro. We won't be returning to them any time soon.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm

i was going to say,how about the tandy color computer?

i don't think it was big in the uk but i ended up having one it was a model 2 or 3 but i hated the thing,bear in mind i only had one game (a pac-man clone) so maybe i didn't give it a fair chance.i have been trying to find out the name of that game so if you do a piece on it i might find it out.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Bear in mind I'm talking about hardware coverage, and not games based on that hardware.
Hmmm, I'd personally prefer hardware to be part of a fully rounded article (that covered the games too), rather than separate.

Not enough love in the mag in general for the early 8bits (16k Speccy, C16, Vic 20 and Beeb).

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 pm

It's pretty mainstream, but has Retro Gamer Magazine ever done a feature on the Game Boy Colour? History doesn't seem to reflect on it too kindly (I, like many, remember more about the latter days of the GB Pocket and the early days of the GBA than what happened in between), but it does have some genuinely good stuff to play on it, and I'm sure there's an interesting story or two behind the development of the hardware itself. Might warrant a look, if RG hasn't already done so...

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:56 pm

The TI 99 4a doesn't get a lot of coverage even thought it is the first 16 bit computer!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:17 pm

I don't remember an article on the Amstrad 464/6128 for a good long while. But there's always modern hardware accessories, expansions that breathe new life into older systems.
What about an article covering the various cartridges and expansions, Everdrives are a good example of these.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Dragon
Jupiter Ace
Tandy
Texas Instruments
Acetronic 1000
Oric
Vic-20
Amiga 4000 (I think that was the big beefy beast, wasn't it?)
Archimedes
Electron

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm

More handheld/tabletop games please.The last feature barely scratched the surface.

More on unusual/rare peripherals for hardware. ROB, CD Drive for the Amiga, Powerglove, keyboard for Atari 2600 etc etc

Would love to see features on clones of machines. There are some wonderful ones for the Spectrum. There was a forum member who (quite some time ago) posted shots of some of Russain cloned Spectrums. If I remember correctly one was made of wood, amazing!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"