80s Arcade Screenshot Challenge

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Hiro

Re: 80s Arcade Screenshot Challenge

Post by Hiro » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Yep, but the story I remember reading (in an 80s magazine) said that the original title was meant to be "Continental Circuit"... but then the name "Circus" was kept because it's still somehow appropriate for a F1-style game. Maybe RG will confirm this in a future CC article... :P

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:
joefish wrote:
Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:I don't know about the lost in translation business, but Circus is an apt name for F1.
That's it - it may be a cultural reference that doesn't translate rather than an obvious error. Same as with Donkey Kong.
Thing is, I don't think it is a cultural mistranslation. As long as I can remember (which is only as far back as '83) F1 has always been referred to as a circus. It makes sense, if you think about it: F1 travels the globe, pitches tents (well, motor-homes these days) and goes racing. It is a circus in both historical and modern terms!
And run by a clown who gets busted dressed asa Nazi having orgies with lots of women :lol:

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 pm

I manage 46 out of 50, it would of been 47 , only I picked the wrong button, but knew the right answer :(, still I know my arcade games, love these quiz, always keeping you on your toes for the classics :)
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 pm

42/50.

A little too easy, some of the ones you dont know can be guessed by simply noticing names that it very definitely cant be. Entertaining though.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm

43/50

Some were guesses though!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 am

45-48 seems to be the target score for 80's arcade heads, of which I'm definitely one.

Dirtfox got me, and Monster Bash. Can't remember now what the other one I got wrong was.
ImageImage

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 am

flatapex wrote:22 :shock:

at least somebody else did worse then me ;)
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 am

44. Better than I expected.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 am

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:Thing is, I don't think it is a cultural mistranslation. As long as I can remember (which is only as far back as '83) F1 has always been referred to as a circus. It makes sense, if you think about it: F1 travels the globe, pitches tents (well, motor-homes these days) and goes racing. It is a circus in both historical and modern terms!
No English-speaker would call a game 'circus' and expect the public to infer a reference to Formula 1. But a foreign word for 'circus' may have closer associations in that culture. Just like no English-speaker would ever have used the word 'Donkey' in a King-Kong themed game.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:06 am

Agree with that, never heard anyone who likes F1 talk about it being a 'circus'. Just a word you dont associate with F1

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 am

I was under the impression it was actually down to a bad phone line... Circuits, Circus... I remember reading that in Your Sinclair.

Strangely both Lost In Translation and Wikipedia talk about the "F1 Circus". Not being any kind of F1 fan, I couldn't possibly have an opinion. Except that F1's crap.
ImageImage

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:42 am

Fishsta wrote:I was under the impression it was actually down to a bad phone line... Circuits, Circus... I remember reading that in Your Sinclair.

Strangely both Lost In Translation and Wikipedia talk about the "F1 Circus". Not being any kind of F1 fan, I couldn't possibly have an opinion. Except that F1's crap.
Yes, I recall reading something like that, about the process of changing the game title from Japanese to English. In my country F1 is often referred as a "circus", I guess it's not that uncommon around the world and that's one of the reasons the game name has been kept.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 am

47 - I blame MAME for such a decent score plus the fact most of them were a bit too easy.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:33 am

joefish wrote:
Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:Thing is, I don't think it is a cultural mistranslation. As long as I can remember (which is only as far back as '83) F1 has always been referred to as a circus. It makes sense, if you think about it: F1 travels the globe, pitches tents (well, motor-homes these days) and goes racing. It is a circus in both historical and modern terms!
No English-speaker would call a game 'circus' and expect the public to infer a reference to Formula 1. But a foreign word for 'circus' may have closer associations in that culture. Just like no English-speaker would ever have used the word 'Donkey' in a King-Kong themed game.
Well I'm an English speaker and I do associate the word with F1, always have done and always will. I'm not alone in doing so (trust me, just google "F1 Circus -game")

I'm interested in the lost in translation piece, though. I'm now intrigued whether or not it really was a mistranslation or if it was simply changed for the US market. I can understand the latter as F1 never has had a big F1 following in the US.

***Edit***
OK, so I was interested enough to do a bit of research on this... here goes!

As I mentioned earlier, I thought the name "circus" was apt to describe a Formula 1 themed racing game. For as long as I can remember, Formula One has been referred to as a 'circus' as evidenced by searching Google for "Formula 1 circus". Further confirmation of this comes from a custom date search of Google news which shows results dating back to the 1970's. http://goo.gl/3rXG6l

If you run the Japanese wiki page ( http://goo.gl/aePJBU ) through Google translate it translates word for word as Continental Circus. This suggests to me that the Japanese developers fully intended to use the word 'circus' in the name of the game, as it's there in Japanese for the Japanese market.

As Formula 1 has never been big in the US, I think one of these two is possible:

1) The US marketeers were unaware that F1 is referred to a 'circus' and assumed that this was a mistranslation - and perhaps this assumption stuck/went into legend.
2) As the US following for F1 is so small, perhaps the name was changed on purpose for the US audience who might assume that the original name referred to clowns, big-tops, elephants and acrobats.

Either way I don't think this is a classic engrish mistranslation, but either a mistake or a marketing decision.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:33 am

Greyfox wrote:love these quiz, always keeping you on your toes for the classics :)
Glad you like it! :mrgreen:

Does anyone want to create another quiz? I'll do all of the technical stuff, you just need to put together the questions and options. Atari ST, C64, SNES and PC Engine haven't been covered.

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.