The Xbox/PS2 coverage discussion thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is there any machine/era/focus that would stop you buying RG if it became prevalent (plus age)?

Yes (please post) - I'm <20
No votes
Yes (please post) - I'm between 20 and 30
3%
Yes (please post) - I'm between 30 and 40
18%
Yes (please post) - I'm over 40
13%
No (why not?) - I'm <20
No votes
No (why not?) - I'm between 20 and 30
5%
No (why not?) - I'm between 30 and 40
45%
No (why not?) - I'm over 40
16%

Total votes: 38

HalcyonDaze00

Re: The Xbox/PS2 coverage discussion thread

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 am

Some are acting as if they're going to open issue 125 and it contains the history of Halo, the making of Call Of Duty
that would be awesome, would be by far the best selling issue of Retro Gamer ever.

if a few dinosaurs have to be left to die as the mag moves forward then so be it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Some are acting as if they're going to open issue 125 and it contains the history of Halo, the making of Call Of Duty
that would be awesome, would be by far the best selling issue of Retro Gamer ever.

if a few dinosaurs have to be left to die as the mag moves forward then so be it.
But that helps no one does it. By wanting all that in the mag, you're just as bad as the ones you moan about ;) It's all about keeping the balance so there's something for every reader.

I think this issue for example is pretty good. There is
F-!7 Challenge (16-bit) 2 pages
Flashback (16-bit) 8 pages
Jordan Mechnar (8-bit) 1 page
Chequered Flag (8-bit) 4 pages
Light gun games (8-bit+) 8 pages
Sagaia (8-bit) 2 pages
Minority Report (god knows ;) ) 4 pages
Amazon Queen (16-bit) 4 pages
NES (8-Bit) 8 pages
Bayonetta (oh my god it's too fricking new) 2 pages
Mastertronic (8-bit) 6 pages
Unconverted (8-bit+) 2 pages
Top 25 Mega Drive Games (16-bit) 6 pages
Defender Of The Crown (8-bit+) 4 pages
Dino Crisis History (32-bit) 6 pages
Populous (16-bit) 2 pages
Paul Norman (8-bit) 6 pages
Tomb Raider (32-bit) 2 pages
Jurassic Park (8-bit) 1 page

I'd say that's a pretty usual issue and hardly the doom and gloom turnaround that some seem worried about.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 am

But that helps no one does it. By wanting all that in the mag, you're just as bad as the ones you moan about ;)
not at all cos im not saying it should be all COD and Halo and nothing else, I love the 8bit stuff too.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The magazine will always stay skewed towards older systems, but it would be ignorant and selfish of 8-bit fans to not expect the occasional article dedicated to the PS2 etc. Some are acting as if they're going to open issue 125 and it contains the history of Halo, the making of Call Of Duty, an Interview with Cliffy B and the 25 best GameCube games. That won't happen. It might happen in 30 years time, but we'll all be dead by then anyway :P
Thank you for giving me the longer answer :) I love what you do with the magazine and I know I'll be reading it for a long time to come. To be honest, I wouldn't mind the top 25 Gamecube games haha. Despite being an 8-bit head, I'm being exposed to a lot of Nintendo stuff and have got far more into gaming again via Nintendo's output than for any other reason. While you're listening : PLEASE more N64 stuff. At least that should be retro enough for most folks! :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 am

I fully understand that people are scared of change, but it's not going to be at the expense of the magazine's soul. I just did a making of Eternal Darkness for gamesTM and I think it proves that that newer games can have interesting stories.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Overall I'm pretty happy with RG and don't plan on cancelling my sub any time soon. I was weened on the 8 bit machines but their coverage is of the least interest to me. I enjoyed the master system and then the 16 bit era far far more. Personally, I've said before that I would love to see more PC engine coverage, a gem of a system that most of the UK sadly missed out on.

As for the PS1/2 dreamcast era then yeah, why not. Great systems and home to some great games. It may be slightly premature in terms of the PS2 but it wouldn't bother me, another year or two and it'll be what, 15 years old? That's old enough to tweak nostalgia glands imo.

One thing that is bothering me at the moment is the picture that gets painted of the NES, the console was not particularly well received on these shores and for (imo) good reason - it simply wasn't that good. I know the mag is aiming for a wider audience than just the UK so can understand the reason for its coverage as it was a huge hit elsewhere. so how about an in depth article on how poorly the machine fared over here and the reasons why? America etc are already well aware how successful the NES was over there, I'm sure they would be interested in hearing our side of the story, games considered classics over there getting poor reviews over here etc etc.

Oh, I'm 36 by the way.

Eat your nans pants

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I think coverage of the Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube/Xbox era of games (not limited to home systems but looking to PC and handhelds as well) is suitable given it's at least 10 years old and more. I think a good example is looking back at Load 19 - it featured articles on Super Metroid (then 11+ years old), Thunder Force 5 (then 8 years old for Saturn, 7 years for PlayStation), and Perfect Dark (then 5 years old).

Having said this, I think the Future Classics section is appropriate only for really new content but at the same it's hard to justify the impact of such a game after a short period of time. I think what it boils down to is whether or not newer systems (as time moves forward) can find room in the magazine alongside the already extensive catalog of "current" retro systems.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 pm

crusto wrote:I know the mag is aiming for a wider audience than just the UK so can understand the reason for its coverage as it was a huge hit elsewhere. so how about an in depth article on how poorly the machine fared over here and the reasons why? America etc are already well aware how successful the NES was over there, I'm sure they would be interested in hearing our side of the story, games considered classics over there getting poor reviews over here etc etc.

Oh, I'm 36 by the way.
That's actually a good idea Crusto. Interestingly though, we've had a lot of complaints that while the NES didn't do well in the UK, it wasn't the case for most of the rest of Europe. It's an interesting idea though.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Limbrooke wrote:I think coverage of the Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube/Xbox era of games (not limited to home systems but looking to PC and handhelds as well) is suitable given it's at least 10 years old and more. I think a good example is looking back at Load 19 - it featured articles on Super Metroid (then 11+ years old), Thunder Force 5 (then 8 years old for Saturn, 7 years for PlayStation), and Perfect Dark (then 5 years old).

Having said this, I think the Future Classics section is appropriate only for really new content but at the same it's hard to justify the impact of such a game after a short period of time. I think what it boils down to is whether or not newer systems (as time moves forward) can find room in the magazine alongside the already extensive catalog of "current" retro systems.
We kind of cheat with the Future Classics, in that many of them are already regarded as classics :P
Someone mentioned we should point our necks out a bit by not going for safe options, which is why we've started included brand new games occasionally.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I fully understand that people are scared of change, but it's not going to be at the expense of the magazine's soul. I just did a making of Eternal Darkness for gamesTM and I think it proves that that newer games can have interesting stories.
And in reality it's not all that new anyway! :wink: Fab game though.

It does stand to reason as time goes on more 'newer' machines become retro. That's the beauty of the mag IMO, fresh material always emerging.
I'm happy to see Xbox/PS2 material, I prefer older but still enjoy reading it. But a good mix caters to all IMO

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
crusto wrote:I know the mag is aiming for a wider audience than just the UK so can understand the reason for its coverage as it was a huge hit elsewhere. so how about an in depth article on how poorly the machine fared over here and the reasons why? America etc are already well aware how successful the NES was over there, I'm sure they would be interested in hearing our side of the story, games considered classics over there getting poor reviews over here etc etc.

Oh, I'm 36 by the way.
That's actually a good idea Crusto. Interestingly though, we've had a lot of complaints that while the NES didn't do well in the UK, it wasn't the case for most of the rest of Europe. It's an interesting idea though.
Yeah, that was the one bit about the NES article that really rubbed me the wrong way, the paragraph about Europe. The NES was incredibly successful in Europe, just not in the UK.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

That was one of the best bits of the article for me as that fact is too often glossed over.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We kind of cheat with the Future Classics, in that many of them are already regarded as classics :P
Someone mentioned we should point our necks out a bit by not going for safe options, which is why we've started included brand new games occasionally.
I was a little surprised when I most recently saw Bayonetta featured, definitely a cheeky move for "future" consideration. :wink:
It's appropriate as I can tell, whereas 5 years and old can fit right in with the current content as retro should be.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I fully understand that people are scared of change, but it's not going to be at the expense of the magazine's soul. I just did a making of Eternal Darkness for gamesTM and I think it proves that that newer games can have interesting stories.
Oh, that's probably a good read and would've been nice to see in RG. I'll need to check that out, which issue will it appear in?
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Limbrooke wrote:
Oh, that's probably a good read and would've been nice to see in RG. I'll need to check that out, which issue will it appear in?
It's not been printed yet, so I'm guessing it will be in the next couple of months.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:54 pm

The Laird wrote:That was one of the best bits of the article for me as that fact is too often glossed over.
The fact that it's completely wrong doesn't irk you then? Weird, you usually like to point out even the smallest faults in the mag. The feature mentions facts that only apply to the UK but claims they are true for all of Europe. Despite the fact that the UK only made up probably less than one third of the European market back then. The other big markets, Germany and France, as well as most of the smaller ones, were completely dominated by the NES. It's okay to mention that the UK was not like the US, but overshooting the target and claiming the rest of Europe was different too is just as bad.