Is wreck it Ralph a success?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

slacey1070

Re: Is wreck it Ralph a success?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Because Coke paid for it to be there.
I doubt it, or it would have been called "diet coke" mountain, rather than "diet cola" mountain?

Unless I mis-remember (again!)

I loved the film, daughter (6) really enjoyed it too and now wants to play Sonic Transformed... her mum is finally outnumbered gaming wise!

Interestingly, since seeing the film, daughter loves playing Mario Kart on the DS...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:53 am

Loved it! Thought it started to drift into 'safe' animated film terrotory for the last third of the film. On my sixth viewing and still spotting new stuff! It was pretty awesome that they managed to get a Ninja Turtles cab in there... twice! Once at the start and the second time at the end when they lift up Ralph on the left of Sugar Rush. (Continuity error as they removed it in the overhaul at the start :lol: )
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm

It was a really good movie, but there were not enough classic cameo appearances. The movie seriously missed Mr Do. His special weapon would have been very useful. I didn't see Bub and Bob, paperboy or Arthur the GnG knight either. So many others.

There were also too much time spent in fictional games. It would have been fun to spend more time in the classics. It was also crying out for an ironical Tron appearance which was also classic arcade.

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:39 am

thingonaspring wrote:i did enjoy it. i even wondered if i'd missed out on some whole sugar rush (real) franchise somewhere. because i also wondered why the candy cane double stripes vanished when you touched them, in a racing game...?
Consider that Candy Crush (Saga) is released by King.com...

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

Streaming it from Blinkbox at the mo.. nice kangarooing in that "candy car"...

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 pm

I've just finished watching it; I enjoyed the first quarter or so the most - where it's about all the different characters and the arcade. The story got a little kiddie and non-retro when it was all about the candy world and the race. But all in all I think muchos retro respect was paid by the film. Very good :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Only just got it on DVD but absolutely loved it - had to watch it again almost straight away.
Ralph's character is great - reminds me a lot of John C. Reilly's cop character Jim Kurring in Magnolia ("This is not an easy job... Sometimes people need a little help... Sometimes people need to be forgiven... And that's a very tricky thing on my part, making that call.").

I thought the landscape of Sugar Rush was over-used partly because (a) it's supposed to be a racing game and (b) it really drove home that the real games were restricted to incidental in-jokes and the story was all about the made-up games.

The casting was great. Nice that the Candy King is a copy of the Mad Hatter from Disney's Alice in Wonderland, as he seems so familiar but without an obvious game reference. The gag with the Oreo cookies is sheer genius too. And you have to have tried getting through a US airport to understand the gag with the cherries. But I do worry for the parents of kids rushing off home to look for 'other media featuring Sarah Silverman'.

There's perhaps one exception to the casting - Jane Lynch (the gym teacher from Glee) just sounds far too old for the very young-looking Sgt. Calhoun.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:45 pm

There are plans for a sequel which will hopefully at least maintain the quality of in jokes , cameos and references. Personally think the related 'games' were a missed opportunity - so much potential for a good movie based mixed bag game instead of the 'mini game' feel of the official releases.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Just watched Max Payne.
I'd heard and read so many panning reviews yet I got it for a quid on DVD and I have to say that I enjoyed that more than Wreck It Ralph!

Ok so it didn't have many of the references from the video games but it was still a kick ass movie that hinted at them.

I thought Luke Perry would have made a good Max Payne instead of Wahlberg.