What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SexyWayne

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:06 am

Not a game or console as such but I thought its high time I finally upgraded my PC to a respectable level so I've just spent £205 on a AMD FX 4170 4.2ghz CPU, a shiny new ASUS mobo, 8gb ram and a Radeon HD 4540

Gotta spend a little more on the OS but I'm not sure whether to go with Windows 7 or 8... I have XP 64bit but I've read that it was really just a 64bit experiment by MS and doesn't have full driver support etc..
ToxieDogg wrote:Plus the Serious Sam Humble Bundle. Only paid a little over the site average for that though. :oops:
Bah... I missed that, I had the email and thought yep I'll have a bit of that and then forgot about it :( , Serious Sam 3 would have been a ideal game to test my new PC build with :evil:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 am

We have Vampire Rain Altered Species in our shop and part of me wants to grab it. Heard bad things though.

All part of my PS3 journey of discovery. Keep going back to Burnout Paradise at the moment.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 am

I finally, FINALLY bought a 7800. I'd always wanted one of these. Found a good deal on Ebay.... system in good condition (and cleaned properly) with all of it's parts and things, and 17 games, for a good price offa Ebay. Which seems to have shipped as I was typing that.

Originally I was after a 2600 to replace my broken one, but figured.... yeah. Good chance to get the 7800 which runs the other ones anyway.

Agh. Cant wait for that thing to get here.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Bit the bullet and bought Vampire Rain. Bad reviews dont bother me as such. Ive liked bad games before. Worst case scenario it trades in at Cex for £6 which is profit.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Small, but tidy pickup today

LA Rush PS2 £1
Taito Legends Uncut PSP £1 (looking forward to playing rastan)
Space Invaders Extreme PSP £1
Sims 2 NGC £1
Gears of War 3 £6
Tatsunoko vs Capcom £5
Muramasa The Demon Blade £5
Obscure 2 £5
Tron £5

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 pm

my bits this week:

missing in the pic is an n64 s-video cable that makes a huge difference to picture quality on a hdtv.

also got a screwdriver so i can put my nes everdrive into a shell :-) currently creating a cover for it too, will share it once i've finished, good to get back into using photoshop :-)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:04 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Bit the bullet and bought Vampire Rain. Bad reviews dont bother me as such. Ive liked bad games before. Worst case scenario it trades in at Cex for £6 which is profit.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on that one! I remember it got shocking reviews on release, I always meant to play it but it seemed to go from £37.99 to GONE! I never saw it discounted :lol:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:12 pm

The short answer is that I never made it through the tutorial. As if the voice acting and poor glitchy graphics werent bad enough the rain noise is on a 1 second loop and soon grates like tv static. The stealth idea around vampires seems a bit silly. The cut scenes make Resident Evil/Dino Crisis look like oscar nominated performances.

Someone with more patience may find redemption in something there but I spent longer installing it than playing as I cant give my time to modern crap games when I still have loads more retro to try.

And so on to Siren Blood Curse and Devil May Cry 4 as im so up to date on current titles.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:01 am

I blame the strategy games thread for this one :oops:

played a bit of it last night but i started to nod off as i was knackered. Really liked the new X-COM Enemy Unknown so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. Not bad for under a fiver NEW! loads of PAL copies available on ebay from this seller -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360664788571? ... 1497.l2649

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:13 am

Black Ridge wrote:I blame the strategy games thread for this one :oops:

played a bit of it last night but i started to nod off as i was knackered. Really liked the new X-COM Enemy Unknown so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. Not bad for under a fiver NEW! loads of PAL copies available on ebay from this seller -

Haha I bought this for the same reason!! Not new though, you got a bargain!

I also got Discworld II for the PS1 for £3, along with Red Dead Revolver and Soul Blade for £1.

Got Animal Crossing New Leaf and Donkey Kong Returns 3D to round off my haul.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:21 am

This week's pick ups.

Love the Initial D and Bakusou Dekotora Densetsu Series, so I was happy to pick up these two, both great games.

Picked up some budget PS2 titles that i have been after for awhile and a new Dreamcast VMU, Those things fill up so fast.

X-Treme Express Grand Prix, is a game i have been after for 10 years, i remember my friend having it in 2003. I love the game, great to finally play it. USA Racer, is a decent racer with a bunch American stereotypes as characters. Stock Car Crash is rubbish.

Picked up a beautiful looking of copy of Batman Returns (MD) great to finally own it and get to play it. NBA 06 is an excellent B-Ball game for the PSP, love the upper deck card system, I remember growing up in the 90s where those NBA Upper Deck cards where selling like hot cakes, really surprised with how good the game is. Found the Sims 3 brand new at a store foe $10, nearly passed on it, but thought why not. picked up Densa De Go (PSX) cheap off a seller i bought FlatOut Ultimate carnage for.

Picked up heaps of 360 week. Went to Cashconverters and noticed they had marked down most of the 360 games to $5-6, picked up
Bayonetta, AC:Brotherhood, Red Dead Redemption and Test Drive Unlimited 2. Bayonetta is insane, love it. Brotherhood looks alright so far. Finally picked up RDR, i rented it when it came out and got half way through and always wanted to pick it up when it got cheap but never did, had a hankering to finish it recently so that was excellent finding it for $6. Also rented TDU 2 back in the day and wanted to pick it up cheap, and i finally did at $5. Loved the first game but always thought it needed some work, The sequel really nailed it.

Bought MLB Nicktoons off eBay when i found out it was region Free, plays like The Bigs 2 with nicktoons thrown it, can't argue with that.

Bought Anarchy Reigns and i had a blast with the few hours i gave it, plays like the fighting in God Hand and Crackdown, its pretty good.Lastly picked up off eBay FlatOut Ultimate Carnage for the 360. Excellent racing game.

Thats it for this week.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Black Ridge wrote:I blame the strategy games thread for this one :oops:

How can that be so cheap? :shock: . I'd have probably skipped over it based on the stock image but since you've posted that photo, I'll have to be having me some of that and in the process, break my current rule of not buying games :roll: .

Think I had something off that seller before anyway and there were no problems so I'm doubly confident placing an order :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:44 pm

imaxeroker85 wrote:This week's pick ups.

Love the Initial D and Bakusou Dekotora Densetsu Series, so I was happy to pick up these two, both great games.
I've heard the Initial D games are great racers. I've always preferred arcade style racers as Im not a huge fan of titles like Forza/Gran Turismo. Might have to look into this.....

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Dead Space Extraction for Wii (£4), Metal Gear Acid (£3.50), Animal Crossing: New Leaf (£26.50) and Unreal Anthology (£1).

Dead Space and Metal Gear Acid have been bought at CeX, in pretty good condition, MGA has even the Card booklet. AC has been preordered at Shop.to and quite convenient for a new game. Unreal Anthology is one that I wanted for a bit, and managed to find it at a charity shop. Not bad for that price, and there's a music CD too.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 am

Monster Hunter on PS2.
Journey Collection PS3.
Tank! Tank! Tank on WiiU.
Last of Us on PS3.