Favourite Light gun games...

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mikeb

Favourite Light gun games...

Post by mikeb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:35 am

For a forthcoming issue, I'm putting together a list of the 15 best light gun games - so what are people's favourites?

Eric

Re: Favourite Light gun games...

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 am

Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Lethal Enforcers and Operation Wolf for the "big guns". Special mention for the cpc/speccy Jungle Warfare budget game.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 am

Sega's Saturn/Arcade Enforcer lightgun was by far the most accurate in both the home and arcades, but nothing else compared to Namco's recoil arcade guns.

Best light gun games over the years are, without doubt:

Virtua Cop 3 (Arcade, not exactly retro, but the best LG game EVER)
Time Crisis 2 (Arcade, VERY close 2nd)

And the rest (in no particular order)
Crisis Zone (Arcade)
Point Blank (Arcade)
Virtua Cop 2 (Arcade/Saturn)
Confidential Mission (Arcade/Dreamcast)
House of the Dead (Arcade, unfortunately the Saturn port wasn't up to the job)
Lethal Enforcers (Arcade)
Mad Dog McRee (Arcade)
Whatever those old Clay Pigeon Shooting Arcade machines were called (You know the ones, orange frame, two shotguns)
Police Trainer (Arcade)
Missile Ground Zero (Spectrum)
Operation Wolf (Spectrum)

Big question, can you include games like Operation Wolf/Thunderbolt, where the guns' position was picked up by the cabinet rather than an actual sensor?
ImageImage

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 am

Nice list Fishta!

Having a 'discussion' on another forum about whether Mad Dog Mcree deserves a place but hey... I like it despite it perhaps not being that great an actual game...

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:52 am

Fishsta wrote: Big question, can you include games like Operation Wolf/Thunderbolt, where the guns' position was picked up by the cabinet rather than an actual sensor?
Hmm... interesting point. Well Op Wolf has to be in anyway so I'll find a way round it :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm

i never really thought they nailed light gun games, most i think were ordinary or below that. The only ones i can remember that I enjoyed were :

1. (i actually dont remember the name of the game, it was in the arcades, you had to shoot these humungous dinosaurs, i remember a brontosaurus actually taking a dump as you shot at it.. what was the name of that?)
2. House of The Dead - pretty decent, just killed the old arms though, bit too relentless
3. Mag Dog McRee - dont really know why but i thought this was quite fun, both in arcade and on computer (was it Amiga i played it on... geez my memory is bad today).

but that dinosaur-shooting game, i want to find out what it is, I'd love to play it again.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:02 pm

I think there was a Jurassic Park based bumpy-seat arcade shooting game, but I can't remember if that used lightguns, or joysticks with on-screen cursors. I certainly remember a minecart-based shooter along those lines.

Top of them all has to be Time Crisis, either in the arcade or on the Playstation. Love that game.

I like the cover mechanic - I don't like Virtua Cop without it, and House of the Dead deliberately overwhelms you to just eat coins.

I was very disappointed with Resident Evil: Gun Survivor. It should be have been an early version of how RE4 plays on the Wii, but the movement controls were badly implemented and the enemies were just a bit boring.

Ghost Squad was OK in the arcade, but SEGA ruined it on the Wii as usual, with intrusive interruptions for tutorials, interludes and running the credits after only a few minutes of play.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Virtua Cop 1&2 - Sega Saturn
Crossbow - Atari 7800
Missile Ground Zero - ZX Spectrum
Terminator 2: Arcade Game - Sega Mega Drive
Who Shot Johnny Rock? - Philips CD-i
Meltdown - Atari 7800
Operation Wolf - Sega Master System
Mad Dog McCree - Philips CD-i
Alien Brigade - Atari 7800
House Of The Dead - Saturn
Chaos Control - Philips CD-i / Sega Saturn
Area 51 - Saturn

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Old skool, I'd go with Operation Wolf, a game that redefined the genre.

Looking towards the modern gamescape, Die Hard Trilogy is far better than the games it was cloning.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Operation Wolf is still the best

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I suppose it is a 'lightgun', in a roundabout way, but it's not really 'retro' - Link's Crossbow Training, the pack-in game that comes with the bit of plastic that is the Wii Zapper, is a fantastic game in its own right. Huge multipliers, hidden bonuses, branching routes, static, on-rails, 360° and free-roaming games and a great boss fight.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:27 pm

never got to play many light gun games,just the usual operation wolf,time crisis and virtua cop mostly and only on arcade machines.one on a home console i had though was ps1 resi survivor which i did think was pretty good at the time.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Can't believe no-ones (yet) said Duck Hunt on the NES - what a great game that was. Also Rambo on the MS was pretty special. Mad Dog McCree was an ace game, and I would hope that some of those old arcade game gun cabs would feature too. Anyone remember the one with tommy guns where you shot at skulls and balloons amongst other things. And what was that arcade game that you could 2-play, with one as car-driver and the other riding shotgun. Never saw this in the flesh, although I wish I had.

And as much as I love Op Wolf, there's no way that that game should feature in a lightgun feature, unless to say how it fooled many (even unto this day) into believing that it was a lightgun game. Change it to a 'gun-game' feature and you're fine.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: And as much as I love Op Wolf, there's no way that that game should feature in a lightgun feature, unless to say how it fooled many (even unto this day) into believing that it was a lightgun game. Change it to a 'gun-game' feature and you're fine.
The home versions used a light gun though.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:29 pm

The Laird wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: And as much as I love Op Wolf, there's no way that that game should feature in a lightgun feature, unless to say how it fooled many (even unto this day) into believing that it was a lightgun game. Change it to a 'gun-game' feature and you're fine.
The home versions used a light gun though.

Not the Speccy or C64 versions I played. For me though , the thing that made Op Wolf stand out was the recoiling mounted Uzi on the arcade cab. Every other version - lightgun or no - was a pale imitation. All in my opinion of course!

Tbh I actually prefer the recoiling Uzi to 'proper' light gun games. Having played Wolf, any gun games without any form of recoil or kick just didn't seem the same.

As for more modern games, I could never understand the appeal of Time Crisis. Those games are far more hide-em-up than anything else. Gun games should be all about action than spending half your time hidden behind crates.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"