What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:37 am

Black Ridge wrote:
Rayne wrote: I'll stick with my PAL 3DS, I can get friends to ship copies of PAL titles over to me in Canada - it'll probably be more expensive so I'll take a solid handful BEFORE I leave! :) any recommendations?
Id recommend Bit.Trip Saga. Has a number of games on there that are great for quick blasts and it can be picked up real cheap now. Kid Icarus is pretty good too. Other than that Ive barely played anything on my 3DS. Everything worth buying sits around the £30 mark and its rare i buy anything for that now.
Will definitely look at Bit Trip Saga - I've seen that available for as little as £5.00 new. You raise a really good point about pricing though - the majority of the library IS at £30 everywhere. To pick up Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land and Mario Bros 2 you're looking at close to 100 quid!
Morkin wrote:
Rayne wrote:
I'll stick with my PAL 3DS, I can get friends to ship copies of PAL titles over to me in Canada - it'll probably be more expensive so I'll take a solid handful BEFORE I leave! :) any recommendations?
Hhm. The only games that I've played to completion & enjoyed are: Luigi's Mansion, Professor Layton, Super Mario 3D Land & Pilotwings Resort. There are certainly plenty of cheap titles around that you could grab such as Ghost Recon Shadow Wars & Shifting World.
Nice to see a recommendation for Luigi's Mansion - I think I'll download that one as my freebie title :)

Anyway! On topic I've just bought this:

For a bargain £5.50 brand new

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 am

nokgod wrote:
Morkin wrote:A couple of cheapies that arrived over the last few weeks. Looking forward to playing both of them.

Hey, ribbit king is mental. I love it. How can you go wrong mixing golf and frogs? :D
Totally agree - its bat crap crazy. Mind you its not nowhere near Katamari levels of strange. Took a holiday in Aberystwyth last week and you can play frisbee golf at the top of the cliff. My boy says 'Do you think they will let us play Frolf instead. Forgot my frogs though'

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Just dipping my toe in the water by buying a PS3. Oddly once I hooked my psp up to it I browsed the games etc and was drawn straight to the ps1 stuff. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it play new games.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Rayne wrote:Image
Evil game, good but evil.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:47 pm

dste wrote:
I'm assuming its a traditional hardcore JRPG. I don't play them often but when I do it's on a portable system - this one seemed like a safe bet! Hopefully it's not too difficult :oops:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 am

Rayne wrote:
dste wrote:
I'm assuming its a traditional hardcore JRPG. I don't play them often but when I do it's on a portable system - this one seemed like a safe bet! Hopefully it's not too difficult :oops:
It's a very old-school game dressed up in pretty graphics. You'll be alright near the start but once you can go exploring and uncover hidden lairs via the treasure maps etc. you will die a lot unless you've done plenty of grinding. I also found item drops from monsters to have a ridiculously low drop rate so I was killing hundreds of the same thing over and over in order to get what I needed to create new weapons/armour.

It's a good game, no question but whether you'll stick with it or not depends on your tolerance :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 am

Came back from holiday to some mail, so here is this weeks haul.

won some cheap auctions with multiple games, and ended up with this weird lot. First I picked up an auction with 4 PS2 games for $4.01 Posted, but 1 of the games is faulty and 1 of the games is actually for another system. Ricking Pointing International Cricket 2007, plays like the 360 version so not to bad. Virtua Pro Football is a weird title from SEGA plays alright, nothing special. One of the games was Scooby Doo Cyber Chase, and when i was playing it I thought the game was atrocious for a PS2 game, and then later tonight i looked it up and it is in fact a PS1 game. It was in a blank blue ps2 cover with Scooby Doo written on it in black marker. So yeah, starting to see what you exactly get for $4.01. The other game was Crusty Demons which does not work, the game i was mostly after in the lot. Yeah can't complain about getting 2 and a half games for 4.01 posted, but it sucks that out of all the games that was faulty it had to be the one i was after and not one of the bland sports games.

In the other bundle lot I won, I ended up with Shenmue 2 for even cheaper than what it usually goes for by itself , so everything else is a bonus, but i would hardly call Harry Potter and Big Game Hunter 2005 a bonus under any circumstances. This leaves me with 3 Harry Potter Games which have made it to my shelves this way.

Lastly i picked up Links 2004 for the Xbox for cheap, and i have been wanting to pick that up for awhile.

Picked up Tiny Tunes Buster's Treasure for the MD, which I had heard great things and It is pretty good, also from the same seller I picked up Paint Games Music Style, which is a game I rented when i was 10, so i got that for nostalgia sakes. Thought I might as well pick up Buster Douglas' Boxing as well. Unlike most boxing games I had played on the MD this is not an over the shoulder viewpoint game, but rather it looks like a 2D fighter. Pretty bland but i thought I'd throw that in.

Also picked up censored Tracy and Action Fighter for the MS.

Got Rayman 3, xXx and Scorpion King for the GBA for just under $10 posted. Picked up Rollcage for the PS1 for a few bucks, played a bit of it and it controls really weird. NBA Showtime for the DC was much better than i was expecting so I am happy with that as well.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Metal Slug Collection PSP £5
Soul Caliber V box set all complete £15 hate the ame but good price for that
Remember Me 360
Philips CDi which loads of games including a boxed gun with Mad Dog 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) 8)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:00 am

So, the NES has shown up, and now I know the games!

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Godzilla
10-Yard Fight
Digger T Rock
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 am

Just some b'day presents from the wife.

All xbox360 no retro :(

12 months live gold.
Doom 3 bfg edition.
Red dead redemption GOTY edition.
Skyrim.
Halo 4.

Not bad as she normally moans about me playing video games :D
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:06 am

Soul Sacrifice for the Vita

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am

Some of the pictures from my lastest purchases

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:32 pm

got these 5

these 2 cheap

some US GC games

some US NES games and a PAL B battletoads

Lastly some more US NES games. see the plastic on them. they were actually sealed and the seller tore them open just to make sure the contents were OK

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Rayne wrote:I'm assuming its a traditional hardcore JRPG. I don't play them often but when I do it's on a portable system - this one seemed like a safe bet! Hopefully it's not too difficult :oops:
It's a very old-school game dressed up in pretty graphics. You'll be alright near the start but once you can go exploring and uncover hidden lairs via the treasure maps etc. you will die a lot unless you've done plenty of grinding. I also found item drops from monsters to have a ridiculously low drop rate so I was killing hundreds of the same thing over and over in order to get what I needed to create new weapons/armour.

It's a good game, no question but whether you'll stick with it or not depends on your tolerance :)
Pretty much what Megamixer said.

Prepare yourself your for some evil bosses and a lot of grinding/levelling up. Also make sure that you are massively powered up for the final boss as he is a complete bar steward.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm

^^^ I gave up and sold the game. It was excellent but the required grinding was just boring. I left it alone for a while and had no desire to go back to the game so it went on ebay. Well done for even seeing the final boss :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.