The 360 Import Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Misery

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Misery » Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Picked up Caladrius at an anime con over the weekend.

Bloody excellent game so far. The Raiden devs seem to have put out another winner here. Though it sure as heck has it's aggravating moments. That third boss, I think I hate that jerk. It's like the damn Ketsui boat all over again.

Liking the mechanics of this one, though I havent figured out what in the heck the purple things do, or that funky bit on the very bottom left of the UI, to the left of the weapon meters.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 am

I'm shocked Misery.

It's a surprisingly solid shooter, I'm still getting to grips with the mechanics of this one myself and considering the my early impressions of the game were quite reserved the game is very playable.

It definitely feels like a game that straddles the genres between traditional shooting and bullet hell - and there's definitely a learning curve to using the complex weapon system effectively. Proof that Moss can still cut it, Raiden 5 please!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 am

1 week till both Do-Don-Pachi SDOJ and Trizeal 10th anniversary collection are released, we 360 shmup fans are really being spoilt. Both region-free for PAL friendly imports.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Fri May 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Yeah it's pretty crazy that Moss, Qute, Triangle Service and Cave have or will have (mostly) new games out this year. Begs the question: what are G.Rev playing at? :lol:

The only problem is I don't have the £200 you'd need to actually buy all of them. At least I can get SDOJ. In fact this might be a good time to suggest that this be read as 'stodge'.

Less than a week till release day, only a couple of months before it arrives - hype system ready!

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat May 25, 2013 2:53 am

Well, bugger.

That's right, SDOJ is about to release.... as is that one with the name I suddenly cant remember. I'd forgotten about this.

Ugh.

I've already blown some $300 on imports this month (Caladrius, Virtual On 4, and replacing my damaged copy of Mushihime). Sigh.

Still, there's little reason for me NOT to buy them. Just have to remember to actually place the order here.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed May 29, 2013 5:31 am

Talking about the shmup bottlenecks both DDP SDOJ Super Limited and Shooting Love 10th Anniversary were sent out today. I've got SDOJ via the fastest postage AMI AMI do so it'll be arriving within the next few days.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 am

Went and ordered both myself. I probably shouldnt have done that, but..... feh, impulse purchases! Ah well, whatever.

Though I forgot to do this until about 2 minutes ago, so might have to wait a week for them to ship, not sure yet.

Still, looking forward to both!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 am

There are some interesting photos of the Super Limited SDOJ on the Shmups System 11 forum, it seems the box for the game is MASSIVE!

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=1620

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Well I've had a day with Saidaioujou and I'm happy to report that it's pretty jolly good.

I wasn't sold on the idea of 360 mode but having turned down the voices to an acceptable level I discovered a pretty decent mode. It's quite unique: instead of lives you have a counter in the top right corner of the screen which starts maxed out at 10000. Getting hit launches an autobomb that shaves off 2000 or you can let one go manually for 1500. You can perform a DFK Black Label style shot+laser attack which will decrease the counter as you use it, but doing so produces items that charge your hyper gauge quickly. Destroying and lasering enemies with a hyper produces green items which recharge the counter. You die if you get hit with a counter less than 2000.

So you can just cruise through and keep the counter high and you can rely on an autobomb to save you, or you can risk some security to charge hypers and get loads of points. If you hyper as much as possible rank gets crazy high: I got it up to 38 in one run and I'm sure it could go higher. The difficulty is lower than arcade mode, equivalent to novice mode - but that's not to say it's a complete pushover, even leaving aside expert novice mode (wut) there are some challenging moments.

Still considerably easier than Arcade and Ver 1.5 which are balls to the wall. Like, damn. If you're after a substantial survival challenge then look no further. Then expert mode... ferocious. The differences between arcade and 1.5 are subtle, but in 1.5 hypers charge faster and above level 5 or 6 they produce large items, which has lead some to theorize that instant hyper recharge techniques will be possible in more situations. Hopefully it will be more rewarding to play for score.

Oh and the leaderboards are pretty bugged. All the top 360 mode scores appear as counterstops even though the actual scores are lower (as you can see if you download a replay) and I've also noticed other tables displaying the wrong scores. Cave have announced that they will reset the server and patch it.

The fruits of my shmupping have been scores of a couple of a billion or two in arcade/1.5 modes and a 360 mode 1CC with 10 billion. Also the #1 Type B-Expert score for for both arcade and ver 1.5! Going to enjoy it while it lasts, which won't be long.

EDIT: Turns out 360 mode's difficulty changes with each level of undress: shot is novice, laser is standard difficulty, and expert is expert. Just tried playing laser and at this difficulty constant hypering to compensate for unplanned bombs gives you a rank increase you can really feel!

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 am

Just got my own copy of SDOJ..... much better than I'd thought it'd be.

I'd expected chaining that was similar to what DOJ was.... which always irritated the hell outta me.... instead, the chaining is more along the lines of Dodonpachi Maximum, which is much, much better. Finally, a chaining system, from Cave, that I actually like; previously I only liked it when OTHER developers did that sort of thing, as Cave's chaining-centric games usually just annoy me. Not this one though.

Difficulty is indeed very high! That's good to see. Daifukkatsu's normal version was a bit too easy on the survival side of things. Though Daifukkatsu's Black Label mode is still dramatically more difficult than SDOJ is when played on the max difficulty (at least, of what I've played so far of this).

The 360 mode is..... weird, but that's sorta what I expected; Cave's arranged modes or "phone" modes or whatever they call them with each release are generally really, really damn bizarre, and very focused on scoring; that's definitely the case here. Survival difficulty is quite low, I almost beat this mode in one go and only didnt because I rammed something stupid a couple of times in the last stage when trying to grab bees. But it's quite fun, so I like it so far. Nicely done scoring system.

Also this game is insanely colorful. Very nice look to it overall. Though this is also loli-tastic, as has been the norm these days.... I have nothing against lolis, normally I rather like that sort of thing, but.... ehhhh. It's a shmup! It should be like military jets or helicopters or spaceships or whatever firing at giant battleships/spiders/cats/spidercats with explosions and bits of metal going everywhere, but nowadays they see fit to stick anime girls into every possible corner just.... because. Sigh. The art is nice and such but still, it doesnt have that certain feel that alot of older shmups do in that regard.

Anyway, very good game overall.

I'm still waiting on Shooting Thingy, whatever that one is called, which may arrive tomorrow or Monday, and I'll post about that when it gets here.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:33 am

Ok, so I got the other game, the one from Triangle Service; which is both XIIZeal and.... er.... the other one with the name that is a triangle followed by "Zeal".

These games are both great so far but they're very, very strange.

The first one, XIIZeal, has a normal shot for the ship like always, but then there's 2 other types of attacks. The first is this sideswipe shot; if you're moving left or right, and then abruptly switch directions, you throw this small bolt with low range in the direction you were previously moving. Waggling the stick back and forth really fast causes you to spray larger shotgun-like blasts to the sides; if you HAVE a stick, that is. The developers sorta assumed that many players wont, and have a button that performs the same function in this version; this is good because the 360 controller simply cannot do that. It just cant. If you do have a proper stick though, it's not that hard to do though it might wreck your arm in the process! The second attack is that the exhaust flame from the rear of your ship actually damages things, so sitting right on top of them can blow them up. Both of these attacks activate and increase a multiplier, which maxes out at 12 and slowly falls when you're not destroying things with those 2 attacks. The normal shot doesnt add to or use the multiplier at all, so ideally, you're getting right next to things and popping them with the side/rear attacks. There are some enemies that cant even be damaged from the front! This is one game where you definitely cannot hug the bottom of the screen as some players tend to do in these games. There's also a funky bullet-eating mechanic with the bomb, which can be used for big points if you know the right time to fire it. This is a difficult game, and the rank can get downright nasty. It's pretty obvious when it's going bonkers, too; the second boss, for instance, normally is blue, and not all that hard.... but if you're doing well, it'll be red instead, and it'll be bloody difficult indeed as the speed and density of it's attacks increase. Like any danmaku game, your hitbox is tiny here.

The second one, er.... whatever it's called, is even more strange. It's got a medal-chaining mechanic similar to some of Raizing's games or things like Pink Sweets; making this part difficult is the fact that for the most part you'll be using spreadshots and homing missiles. There's this special charge thing that you can power up as well.... by eating shrapnel from explosions. Basically, pop an enemy, then charge into the explosion and sit on it, and you can see bits of shrapnel being sucked into the ship (though it's kinda hard to see), and your counter at the bottom will increase. Generally, t5his means that charging it at all means getting *right* next to an enemy when destroying it and then instantly diving into the resulting fireball. Once you've got the charge thing ready, it will fire this shot that goes some distance and then pops, making this energy ball that just hangs there. Enemy bullets hitting this ball become medals, as does anything that is destroyed by it, and some things will produce medals constantly from it as long as it's damaging them. So, the idea is: Max out medal rank while eating explosions, and then get the energy ball into the right spot to generate a bazillion 1000-point medals for huge points. Like with Raizing's games though, if you miss even one medal at any point they reset and will be back to the smallest versions worth nearly nothing. It doesnt actually take long at all to max it out, but it's very damn hard to keep it there because of your shot types and the sheer wildness of the enemies. And this game is *hard*. Really hard. Enemies are much more aggressive, with tons and tons of bullets everywhere from every direction; the second boss is just this constant barrage of crap everywhere.

So far, both games are absolutely excellent, even if the second one makes you wanna throw the console out the window. They have normal arcade modes, and then seperate single-stage score attack modes, with each individual stage unlocking as you reach it in arcade mode. The presentation is nice, though the screen options are a bit simple compared to Cave's ports or things like the Raiden Fighters Aces games.

Highly recommend this one. I might end up playing this even more than Saidaioujou.

Also the box art is really weird.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 pm

On DDP SDOJ, Misery wrote:Also this game is insanely colorful. Very nice look to it overall. Though this is also loli-tastic, as has been the norm these days.... I have nothing against lolis, normally I rather like that sort of thing, but.... ehhhh. It's a shmup! It should be like military jets or helicopters or spaceships or whatever firing at giant battleships/spiders/cats/spidercats with explosions and bits of metal going everywhere, but nowadays they see fit to stick anime girls into every possible corner just.... because. Sigh. The art is nice and such but still, it doesnt have that certain feel that alot of older shmups do in that regard.
Yeah, it was really jarring for even myself as a fan of cutesy shmups to go from the style of DDP Resurrection to this, which I do think is bloody brilliant, but such a sudden switch! I can imagine some types who feel the need to get irritated about this sort of thing just wtf-ing all over the internets. 360 Mode is a massive amount of fun, and overall this is a great package. I really like the idea of being able to purchase stuff as you progress as well, some of the wallpapers are lovely. :)

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:33 pm

The one thing I haven't made my mind up about SDOJ's graphics are the backgrounds: they just don't seem as good as DFK's. Otherwise I'd say I prefer it to DFK. The bosses are so cool! I guess as strange as undressing a loli on the ship select screen is I still find it less weird than DFK's stupid school girl Decepticons.

Compared to DOJ's muddy fearsome grittiness, SDOJ has a sleek modern style: it feels like an update, which I like, though I wouldn't have said no to something as dark as that game.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:54 am

Okay. So. I had some attempts at Expert mode.

Yeesh. It's like trying to learn Mushihime Ultra all over again. It's not QUITE that hard, but..... it's still nasty as heck. I can do the first stage without dying if I do things bloody perfectly. That midboss though.... arrrrrrgh. The actual stage boss isnt as annoying as that thing. I can get halfway through the second stage as of right now.

But.... ahhhhh. Yeah. Not beating that mode anytime soon.

If you wanna see just HOW bad it gets, go into the "challenges" mode and choose number 50. Dont worry, it'll be brief.... You'll want auto-bomb ON for this guy.

I can get that horror a bit below half health, but it's probably not going down anytime soon. The first form is bad enough; the second is worse. It's patterns are remniscent of the same boss from DOJ except 5 times more annoying. The very first pattern it does is just evil.

It's not the hardest of the uber-bosses in these games; that distinction still goes to Larsa. Doom and the TLB from the first Mushi Ultra are harder as well. But still, this guy is up there.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:06 am

Finally arrived yesterday, damn this feels more like early Dodonpachi than Dai Fukkatsu which is lovely. The structure of the game is definitely like Dodonpachi in the way it lulls you into a false sense of security with the difficulty on level 1 and 2. These levels are very accessible then from level 3 the mayhem starts. The game feels stripped down and the chaining system is grand - very impressed so far.