Help!!!!!!!!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Help!!!!!!!!!

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 am

Any tech heads who can help me?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-062, which the other day died on me. When I switch it on now, the hard drive light comes on for a second then nothing. Don't think it's the hard drive, and a lot of suggestions on t'internet point to a bios/cmos battery.

Before I rip the laptop open, would this sound about right?

rupert

Re: Help!!!!!!!!!

Post by rupert » Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 am

bonerlaw wrote:Any tech heads who can help me?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-062, which the other day died on me. When I switch it on now, the hard drive light comes on for a second then nothing. Don't think it's the hard drive, and a lot of suggestions on t'internet point to a bios/cmos battery.

Before I rip the laptop open, would this sound about right?
Might sound stupid but try pressing the on button quicker/ more briefly.

My GF has a Toshiba laptop and thought it had broken as when she pressed the on button it would come on and flick off again, as though it had a fault. She took it back to the shop and it tested fine, the guy showed her that she had been leaving her finger on the on button too long. You had to touch it for a micro second otherwise it went straight back off again!

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon May 27, 2013 5:00 am

If the battery goes, you usually just get a message from the BIOS as soon as you switch it on, or when you are in Windows the time will be wrong. I've never seen a dead battery kill a computer before.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon May 27, 2013 5:13 am

My Toshiba laptop did that and it was excessive heat that killed the mother board.

If you open it up I guess you will find a ton of crap that's built up inside.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 27, 2013 9:59 am

Joey wrote:My Toshiba laptop did that and it was excessive heat that killed the mother board.

Ah, that does sound like the problem. Did you manage to repair or was it a case of replacing it?

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 am

Two Toshibas have gone down in work recently due to over heating. Have you tried leaving the laptop overnight to see if it boots up after being left to cool? If not what about giving one of those USB plug in fan/stand thingys a go?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:29 pm

First test is to remove the laptop battery and mains, leave it for a couple of minutes, then try running off mains. You may need to reinsert the battery. That can sometimes reset things.

I'd suspect a mobo issue if you're getting no warning beeps or anything though. If it was the HD or BIOS battery, you should still be able to boot to the BIOS screen and opt to boot from CD etc. If its RAM you should get a warning beep.

Only way to be really sure is to try components in another machine.

Mobo repairs can sometimes work out more expensive than just replacing a laptop.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon May 27, 2013 1:52 pm

bonerlaw wrote:
Joey wrote:My Toshiba laptop did that and it was excessive heat that killed the mother board.

Ah, that does sound like the problem. Did you manage to repair or was it a case of replacing it?
Yea I paid £99 to have whatever had broke 're-seated'. The repair shop did say it could last 2 months or 2 years do I knew it was a risk.... It lasted untill a couple of days after the X amount of weeks warranty expired on the repair :twisted:

If it is that case for you I wouldn't bother, get a new one!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Ok, thanks guys. Ant, will try your suggestions, but I get the worst! Thank God for backing up on an external hd eh?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:00 am

The HD is probably fine with your data, you could pull it out, stick it in a USB caddy and use it as an external drive.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue May 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:The HD is probably fine with your data, you could pull it out, stick it in a USB caddy and use it as an external drive.
USB caddy?? eBay here I come!