Re: Is Justin Bieber getting better?

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Modern pop is like Smart price cola.

Its only liked by those with no taste

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat May 11, 2013 1:26 pm

i didn't know he was unwell...........badum tshhh :wink:

seriously success doesn't equate talent,i learned that many years ago and lost a lot of faith in the human species when that wigfield song saturday night made it to number one.later cemented by the fact that the barbie girl song did the same,we're all doomed.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i didn't know he was unwell...........badum tshhh :wink:

seriously success doesn't equate talent,i learned that many years ago and lost a lot of faith in the human species when that wigfield song saturday night made it to number one.later cemented by the fact that the barbie girl song did the same,we're all doomed.
I have to agree. To me, music has been in a steady decline since then, even more so now, with throwaway artists coming from shows like X Factor. Although I will say that the only one who's done well off a show like this is Will Young, but I digress. It's hard to imagine that at one point, we had charts that had the likes of BB King, The Doors, Gary Numan and Erasure in. Now, it's topped by the f**king Crazy Frog and a group singing about a doll! But, that's just my 2p.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 11, 2013 5:24 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:It's hard to imagine that at one point, we had charts that had the likes of BB King, The Doors, Gary Numan and Erasure in. Now, it's topped by the f**king Crazy Frog and a group singing about a doll! But, that's just my 2p.
To be fair, those two songs you mention were ten and fifteen years ago :wink:

Every generation thinks the next generation's music's unlistenable - the way people thought the Beastie Boys or the Sex Pistols or the Beatles or Chuck Berry were unlistenable screeching idiots, that's how folk feel about the likes of Skrillix today, but the kids love'm. Weird thing, music.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:It's hard to imagine that at one point, we had charts that had the likes of BB King, The Doors, Gary Numan and Erasure in. Now, it's topped by the f**king Crazy Frog and a group singing about a doll! But, that's just my 2p.
To be fair, those two songs you mention were ten and fifteen years ago :wink:

Every generation thinks the next generation's music's unlistenable - the way people thought the Beastie Boys or the Sex Pistols or the Beatles or Chuck Berry were unlistenable screeching idiots, that's how folk feel about the likes of Skrillix today, but the kids love'm. Weird thing, music.
Oh I agree. One persons favourite is another persons kryptonite. But Im very stuck in the past with my music, and I think that point was the general decline of good music. Saying that, I only listen to new music rarely, like The Script, MUSE and possibly a new album by an old favourite (like Black Sabbath having a new album out soon. Can't wait :D ), but stuff like Bieber and Rhianna? I wish hey would disappear up their own arseholes.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun May 12, 2013 2:57 am

JetSetWilly wrote:
Oh I agree. One persons favourite is another persons kryptonite. But Im very stuck in the past with my music, and I think that point was the general decline of good music. Saying that, I only listen to new music rarely, like The Script, MUSE and possibly a new album by an old favourite (like Black Sabbath having a new album out soon. Can't wait :D ), but stuff like Bieber and Rhianna? I wish hey would disappear up their own arseholes.
Rihanna released "Diamonds" last year, and that is a good production, full stop- I'd buy that keyboard sound tomorrow. Good vocal, nice lyrics [you're a shooting star I see/ a vision of ecstasy/when you hold me,I'm alive/We're like diamonds in the sky], and a fine melody. Doesn't really sound like any other track at that time. And you can all censored me off as much as you like - I don't care! Rihanna for the win!!!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun May 12, 2013 3:34 am

Liking Rhianna is as bad as liking Justin Beiber :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 am

JetSetWilly wrote:throwaway artists coming from shows like X Factor. Although I will say that the only one who's done well off a show like this is Will Young
Gareth Gates: 7 top 5 singles, 3 studio albums followed by a career in theatre.
Kelly Clarkson: Grammy award winning, platinum sales reaching global star - 25 million albums and 40 million singles sold!
Leona Lewis: 7 top 5 uk chart singles, over 20 million sales globally and broke the American market too.
One Direction: currently massive in the US, it seems they were in the right place at the right time for a boy band revival there.
Susan Boyle: 3 global chart topping albums, the first of which broke all records for a debut artist.
Carrie Underwood: 45 million sales, multiple awards and records broken.

There's more, but you get the idea. Its not so much that talent shows only produce garbage, more that the music produced isn't to your taste so you don''t register their success.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 am

This is an odd post really - Justin Bieber with his good looks and marketable image appeals to girls. He's a pop artist the clue is in the word pop. Most retro gamers on here are blokes into metal and rock. I think this post is here to provoke a reaction and you know I've just realized I've just answered to it..doh :?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun May 12, 2013 7:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:throwaway artists coming from shows like X Factor. Although I will say that the only one who's done well off a show like this is Will Young
Kelly Clarkson: Grammy award winning, platinum sales reaching global star - 25 million albums and 40 million singles sold!
Leona Lewis: 7 top 5 uk chart singles, over 20 million sales globally and broke the American market too.
One Direction: currently massive in the US, it seems they were in the right place at the right time for a boy band revival there.
Susan Boyle: 3 global chart topping albums, the first of which broke all records for a debut artist.

There's more, but you get the idea. Its not so much that talent shows only produce garbage, more that the music produced isn't to your taste so you don''t register their success.
Either that, or I'm just an arrogant old fart.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

How many of those acts will be remembered in 10 years time? What about the countless failures who won but never did anything beyond the first album? I was going to use some examples such as the one that was launched as a male rival to Girls Aloud, but can't even remember their names

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 am

Negative Creep wrote:How many of those acts will be remembered in 10 years time? What about the countless failures who won but never did anything beyond the first album? I was going to use some examples such as the one that was launched as a male rival to Girls Aloud, but can't even remember their names
How many of any acts will be remembered in ten years time? Knocking out a few hits and a handful of albums then fading away to obscurity is hardly the exclusive domain of the X-Factor, it's almost the entire history of pop!
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 am

The Beans wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:How many of those acts will be remembered in 10 years time? What about the countless failures who won but never did anything beyond the first album? I was going to use some examples such as the one that was launched as a male rival to Girls Aloud, but can't even remember their names
How many of any acts will be remembered in ten years time? Knocking out a few hits and a handful of albums then fading away to obscurity is hardly the exclusive domain of the X-Factor, it's almost the entire history of pop!
Very true. I'd argue that the kind of acts that come out of X-Factor, whilst successful. will not be remembered for their contribution to music. I doubt industry experts in years to come will be talking about how groundbreaking Olly Murs debut album was.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 12, 2013 11:12 am

He posted something similar a day back about Retro Gamers hating Justin Bieber and it got deleted! His other topic was much funnier just wondered that got deleted and a very similiar topic kept.. Disappointed there's no mention of Selena Gomez or D Prinny not posting his normal pictures
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 am

The Beans wrote:

Yes a lot of rock or metal acts will be forgotten, but how many of them had a massive advertising campaign, pre arranged record deal and tc coverage behind their very first album?