Oh how times have changed...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

Re: Oh how times have changed...

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a cobbler shop in my local town. It looks a little odd and I've never seen anyone go in or out of it, but it's definitely still operational. Begs the question of how such a business can operate these day with cheap shoes available.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Most cobblers these days also do key-cutting and watch repairs (at least to my knowledge).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Supermarket checkouts

I've just thought of something else, supermarkets. Anyone remember when the check out person (being politically correct and all) used to manually type the prices in at the till? If I recall this was a highly skilled job. Of course that went out when the built in bar-code readers become more common.

My parents used to shop at Kwik Save back the day. I also remember that my dad used to pay by cheque.

Cheque's

Ah, the old cheque book and paying for goods with a cheque. There was a time where they were accepted almost everywhere. Of course this rather archaic means of a financial transaction has nearly gone now. Do you remember the last time you paid for anything with a cheque? How about paying for goods in a shop with a cheque? Not that they are particularly missed, after all, the debit card is a much quicker way of paying for goods and somewhat safer.
Last edited by MattyC64c on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:49 pm

I remember the till part, mate. You needed a bloody good memory to do that.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm

I do remember people manually entering the prices into tills. It still happens, although it is mainly in the small independent shops(e.g. florists, card shops, newsagents, etc.) nowadays.

Cheques only get used for people liked tradesman(e.g. plumbers, electricians, gardeners, etc.). I did hear that some banks were going to phase them out altogether - I don't know if that is going to happen now.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 pm

We still take cheques in the cash and carry business and because they're usually for big amounts, it's not really that strange.

As for typing in codes, I have to do that sometimes when things refuse to scan but then again, the code is on the box/packet/whatever. I do remember quite a few of our system's codes for items (they work in the same way as barcodes but are shorter) that never scan or have no labels on them but it's nothing on those who had to know the whole store inventory off the top of their head! That's skill.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 am

I miss having a good kid-friendly game arcade and the thrill of seeing the new games come in, like the new mortal kombat etc. I guess today's kids don't even know that they're missing that.

I'm not sure about the facts of why there are still some milk rounds but I have seen some early morning floats in the past few years.

My Dad has a big thing about cobblers and always first checks where the cobblers is in any town he goes to and is upset if he can't find one.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am

parappa wrote:I miss having a good kid-friendly game arcade and the thrill of seeing the new games come in, like the new mortal kombat

"Kid friendly" and "Mortal Kombat" in the same sentence?? :lol:

Talking of Cobblers reminds me... Cobbled streets. They must be getting fewer and further between these days.
ImageImage

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Fishsta wrote:Talking of Cobblers reminds me... Cobbled streets. They must be getting fewer and further between these days.
There was a cobbled area of street down the road from me but it got removed as the bricks kept coming out and being left in the middle of the road. Can't say I'm too sad to see it gone to be honest.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Never seem to see any white dog pooh these days...............

I'll get my coat.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Lord Innit wrote:Never seem to see any white dog pooh these days...............

I'll get my coat.
Less bonemeal in dog food these days is why...so I was told :lol:

bobturnip

Post by bobturnip » Fri May 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Things i reckon we will be adding to this list in about 10 years time :

CDs
Books
Book shops
Music shops
Magazines
Newspapers
Desktop PCs
Video games on hard-format
Blu ray & DVDs

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 pm

What I want to know is how on earth we ever managed to get by without cash-machines? The only way to get cash was to go to the bank - which was only open 930-330 Mon-Fri, so if you were working you were stuffed!

Also how on earth did we know the answer to anything? Think of a simple question - who won the FA Cup in 1984? You would ask all your mates, and possibly get 2 or 3 different answers. The only way to truly find out was to go to a library or a bookshop and find the answer inside. And that was just for a simple question!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri May 03, 2013 11:44 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:What I want to know is how on earth we ever managed to get by without cash-machines? The only way to get cash was to go to the bank - which was only open 930-330 Mon-Fri, so if you were working you were stuffed!

Also how on earth did we know the answer to anything? Think of a simple question - who won the FA Cup in 1984? You would ask all your mates, and possibly get 2 or 3 different answers. The only way to truly find out was to go to a library or a bookshop and find the answer inside. And that was just for a simple question!
If I remember rightly, my dad used to get his money out either at lunch time or on a Saturday - most branches weren't open on the weekend, but the ATM'S were. That wasn't a problem for him because he was a company director in the family business. I do remember that when he used to go to the cash point he would draw out a fair bit of cash, well Debit cards didn't exist back in the 80's.

The information thing is a good one. My android phone has full Internet browsing and the Wikipedia app, it's pretty easy to get statistical information these days. It wasn't so easy years ago. Heck, even going only as far back as 2007 it was difficult. Not many people had smart phones, you could still get hold of information quick, but only if you were sitting in front of a PC.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 am

Everton won it in '84 - I knew that FROM MY BRAIN!

Yeah - I'm scared too!