Shinobi!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: Shinobi!

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Shinobi wrote:Arcade Shinobi first played this in Porthcawl and thought it was awesome, shortly after big Johns video shop had it; there was always a Chinese guy on there who could 1 life it and no miss all the Bonus stages(he was always on it)..
I swear, in every arcade, no matter where in the world, there was always that one Chinese master... I learned very quickly, never challenge that dude to Street Fighter 2.

llj

Post by llj » Wed May 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Arcade Shinobi and Revenge of Shinobi are pretty much the perfect action platformers in my opinion. Good challenge, well designed levels, and there's always, ALWAYS a solution to every situation. You never need to do anything crazy or need insane reflexes to get past a tough section. There's always a way.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm

llj wrote:Arcade Shinobi and Revenge of Shinobi are pretty much the perfect action platformers in my opinion. Good challenge, well designed levels, and there's always, ALWAYS a solution to every situation. You never need to do anything crazy or need insane reflexes to get past a tough section. There's always a way.
Spoken like a true Chinese philosopher

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Thu May 02, 2013 1:42 am

I'm going to quote a post from another forum from last year
REVENGE OF SHINOBI
When folk argue that 'videogames are art', it's always the same trite opining that Shadow of the Colossus or Metal Gear Solid 4 or Ocarina of Final FantaZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz. F*ck that, here's my nomination. And why? It's pop-art in its' purest form; a mashup of mixed perceptions on all sides. You're from the West and think of the East? Pagodas, samurai warlords and magic ninjas, mother lover. From the East and think of the West? Everything is Spider-man, Batman, Hulks and Terminator robot. Great, now mash it up with some challenging (but fair) play mechanics and here it is, a work of art. Also, soundtrack is amazing. I seem to always love a good soundtrack.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 am

Never actually played the original Shinobi till the MS version. I quickly moved onto the awesome Revenge which is great to this day. Loved Shadow Dancer on the MD and played it on every imaginable setting , mastering no shuriken mode was tough.

Enjoyed Shinobi 3 but not as much as Revenge. May have been graphically better but it felt a bit skewed.

Apart from that only played the awful GBA remake of revenge which made me want to throw it far far away.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:37 am

Thanks to this thread I dusted off GG Shinobi last night. Waltzed through the first three levels! Killed by one of the bosses, but I worked out how to beat him near the end. I'll be back again tonight! TBH first time I've played retro in a few months and I absoutely loved it.

With the marvel of emulation at least I'll be able to save my progress since even in my meanest game playing teenage days I couldn't finish it in one go.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks to this thread it got me looking up Master System consoles and Games last night on eBay, I ended up spending $200 on a bunch of stuff, can't wait to play Shinobi on the system i grew up with.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 am

theantmeister wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Arcade Shinobi first played this in Porthcawl and thought it was awesome, shortly after big Johns video shop had it; there was always a Chinese guy on there who could 1 life it and no miss all the Bonus stages(he was always on it)..
I swear, in every arcade, no matter where in the world, there was always that one Chinese master... I learned very quickly, never challenge that dude to Street Fighter 2.
I was 'that guy' in Wakefield on Shinobi (although I'm not Chinese) - I could 1CC and do almost all the stages with no shurikens fired so I had an epic score. It was one of the only machines where it saved high scores at the time, even when powered down. The highscore board also has a 'coins used' column, so my top score with 1 coin, 1CC was a proud moment. Then some d**khead came in one day, got to a stage where you get a lot of points, died on purpose, continued (score doesn't reset on continue) and repeated over and over again until he'd beaten my top score using something like 63 credits. W**nker. I'm still bitter about it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Mootown wrote:(score doesn't reset on continue)
Those are the worst kind of arcade games - the high score tables favour the rich.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Mootown wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
I was 'that guy' in Wakefield on Shinobi (although I'm not Chinese) - I could 1CC and do almost all the stages with no shurikens fired so I had an epic score. It was one of the only machines where it saved high scores at the time, even when powered down. The highscore board also has a 'coins used' column, so my top score with 1 coin, 1CC was a proud moment. Then some d**khead came in one day, got to a stage where you get a lot of points, died on purpose, continued (score doesn't reset on continue) and repeated over and over again until he'd beaten my top score using something like 63 credits. W**nker. I'm still bitter about it.
That is very impressive I can do the first level and the Docks stage (with the divers no shurikens) but there the two easy stages :P I watched Ben Shinobi's replay and he does every level no shurikens or Magic even Ken Oh' he beats with flying kicks.. The Marp replay he milks the bit when the guys drop from the Helicopter until time expires and then rinses and repeats till he has one life let

Do you have any tips for Masked Ninja or is he just Random? Especially when the git dashes back and forth...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Thu May 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Had Shinobi on loan on the Master System and it broke me.
Big respect for the series though
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri May 03, 2013 4:52 am

Right, that's it. Am bvreaking out some MAME and I WILL get past the first boss or I won't post another reply in here :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 am

I forgot Shadow Dancer was cannon, used to absolutely love that in the arcade. Easily my favourite ever Shinobi game.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri May 03, 2013 4:58 am

I love the shinobi games. Revenge being the highlight of course, the 3DS game isn't bad either!
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 03, 2013 6:13 am

Grizzly wrote:I love the shinobi games. Revenge being the highlight of course, the 3DS game isn't bad either!

3DS you say? As a new XL owner I'm on the prowl for 3DS titles! :lol:

Lots of fond memories of Shinobi. Really enjoyed the MS game but truely hit its straps with most peoples fave Revenge of. A superb platformer