Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ZeroCipher

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by ZeroCipher » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:06 pm

The original Game Boy closely followed by the Neo Geo Pocket
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 pm

The GBA overall, closely followed by the 3DS. I was impressed by the Lynx too, back in the day. Not the best games library but the hardware itself was impressive for the time.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

killbot wrote:I was impressed by the Lynx too, back in the day. Not the best games library but the hardware itself was impressive for the time.
I'd say the Atari Lynx has a stunning quality games library. Far superior in quality relative to Game Gear and Game Boy, imo.

You're right about the console hardware being damn impressive. It took Nintendo a further twelve years after Lynx was launched to release a handheld that was more powerful. Even then, I can't say with certainty whether the GBA had superior sprite scaling and sprite rotation than that of Lynx.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:I'd say the Atari Lynx has a stunning quality games library. Far superior in quality relative to Game Gear and Game Boy, imo.
This made me laugh.

Then I went and had a proper look at the Lynx library. I'd never really looked beyond the big titles that are always dragged out for Lynx discussions, but there's much more than that with a good mix of known ports and exclusives in there. I need to investigate this further.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I'd say the Atari Lynx has a stunning quality games library. Far superior in quality relative to Game Gear and Game Boy, imo.
This made me laugh.

Then I went and had a proper look at the Lynx library. I'd never really looked beyond the big titles that are always dragged out for Lynx discussions, but there's much more than that with a good mix of known ports and exclusives in there. I need to investigate this further.
It is sad the Lynx was so overlooked in it's time. The hardware was amazing for the time, and the library was very high quality. It didn't have the 'big name' titles the gameboy had licenced, and as you say too many magazines just featured the same few Lynx titles without delving further. It's a great machine with great games that still plays really well today, and makes a good collector choice due to a good range of cheap titles for it (until you look for rarer titles :lol: ).

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:29 am

Lynx library is quite good considering the amount of games on it. Gameboy library is better but then it has miles more games so it isn't really a fair comparison.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 am

The Lynx is something I always wanted to try. Good looking games but sadly both lynx consoles I ever bought were dead.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 am

kiwimike wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
This made me laugh.

It is sad the Lynx was so overlooked in it's time. The hardware was amazing for the time, and the library was very high quality. It didn't have the 'big name' titles the gameboy had licenced, and as you say too many magazines just featured the same few Lynx titles without delving further. It's a great machine with great games that still plays really well today, and makes a good collector choice due to a good range of cheap titles for it (until you look for rarer titles :lol: ).
I love my Lynx, it's just the Mark one is possibly the least portable handheld ever, and eats batteries in a way that would make the Nomad blush. The second version was far superior, but just arrived too late to save it. I could cheat and say the Pandora is my favourite handheld, but in all honesty I'd have to go for the Gameboy Advance. Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion, Mario Kart Super Circuit... so many great games.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
This made me laugh.

In addition to that Darran wrote an article in RG some time ago ('The Lynx Effect' in RG 97) focusing on Lynx arcade conversions that you may find helpful in educating you further.
nakamura wrote:Lynx library is quite good considering the amount of games on it. Gameboy library is better but then it has miles more games so it isn't really a fair comparison.
Interesting opinions there. My reaction in reading the second sentence was the same as Antiriad's opening line as quoted above. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
This made me laugh.

I actually helped update that list over the years but just looking at it again it needs a major update as there is quite a bit of homebrew stuff missing and a few prototype titles too.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Tried it and even with the switch off it gives my eyes a major pounding. Guess im just never going to be able to enjoy the 3d fad and just enjoy life in 3 dimensions instead.
That surprises me, as I can only see out of one eye properly and I've had no trouble playing any 3DS games at all obviously with the 3D turned off. :? It's probably my most used system at the moment.

EDIT: On saying that, I do find the size of my 3DS XL screen a lot better than I used to with my old original size 3DS.

Everybody's different though. Do any other handhelds give you headaches?
Nothing to do with your eyes it's the brain that cannot sort out what it's seeing. It's never talked about as company's try to sell 3D TV's that an estimated 16% of people in this country cannot see 3D images. My mum and dad being two I know. It still just looks a mess as if watching without glasses and gives them headaches

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:Lynx library is quite good considering the amount of games on it. Gameboy library is better but then it has miles more games so it isn't really a fair comparison.
Interesting opinions there. My reaction in reading the second sentence was the same as Antiriad's opening line as quoted above. :lol:
I wouldn't necessarily say that the Game Boy Library is better, but it certainly is equal and has a lot of good games available, you just have to ignore the dross.

However, as has already been pointed out, the biggest flaw of the Lynx is the battery life and how many batteries it requires. Perhaps not so relevant today, but back in the day, for a child who had to survive frequent, long car and coach journeys, this was a huge drawback.

Has anyone modded a Lynx to improve battery life (perhaps by using a lithium battery)?

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 am

People have made their own lithium battery packs for them.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

If the first Lynx hardware had been the Lynx 2, would it have fared better? I don't know much about the machine. My mate brought one into school at the time and i couldn't believe how big it was - and this is coming from a Game Gear owner!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 am

greenberet79 wrote:If the first Lynx hardware had been the Lynx 2, would it have fared better? I don't know much about the machine. My mate brought one into school at the time and i couldn't believe how big it was - and this is coming from a Game Gear owner!
Lynx sales rose massively when the Lynx 2 was released in 1991 and the price was dropped to £89.99. According to Atari they sold over 1 million units that year.