Neo Geo X Gold

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike
Posts: 3709
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm

englebert3rd wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If the emulation had been spot on it would have been essential, even at the current price. After all, it would cost around £2,000 easily to get all the games on the original system. It isn't though :(
This reminds me of Ashen's review, and as he said, I'd go for the PSP if I want Neo Geo emulation on the go, which is even better. Also it's about 97% cheaper to get the PSP with Memory Stick.
Yes, that's what you need to compare it to: Emulator to emulator, not emulator to original AES cartridge range. That way it's apples with apples. The review should be: If you cannot afford the expensive original, which cheap knock off do you want instead? The Neo geo X, which is the lesser emulator but has the fancy wrapper and hardware looks the part; or the PSP or other Neo Geo emulators available, where the games are just as accurate, but hardware does not look as authentic...but you are paying a far more digestable price. The choice is yours.
Too many reviews online are comparing this emulated knock off to original AES and on that basis suggesting the Neo Geo X is great value, which is misleading, as it is based on the cheap emulated stuff and not on the expensive original. In that regard it is pretty bad value. :)

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm

So how well do all those Neo Geo fighting games play when using PSP's somewhat challenged d-pad then?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike
Posts: 3709
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:So how well do all those Neo Geo fighting games play when using PSP's somewhat challenged d-pad then?
Yep, another thing to consider when comparing emulators with emulators :)

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by silvergunner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:31 am

And a magazine or website which reviews it is not going to get into hot water by comparing emulator against emulator as they cannot be seen saying "download them on your PSP the emulation is better" as this would be them saying its ok to download illegal ROMS. So even if the staff of said review thought that was the way to go they cannot bloody well admit it can they

kiwimike
Posts: 3709
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 am

silvergunner wrote:And a magazine or website which reviews it is not going to get into hot water by comparing emulator against emulator as they cannot be seen saying "download them on your PSP the emulation is better" as this would be them saying its ok to download illegal ROMS. So even if the staff of said review thought that was the way to go they cannot bloody well admit it can they
Yeah, in a way, but this Neo Geo X is based on a previous emulated product in a flash wrapper, IMO people buying it have a right to know that- Especially as they are paying so much for it.
What really irks me is this arguement stating the value due to comparing this product to the real machine & carts. I find that a bit rich, as it isn't the same product. It's a cheaper knock off and consumers have a right to know that up front. It is not a SNK Neo Geo console. It's not perfect and consumers have a right to know that up front. Then- they may still want it, despite being a commonly available emulator, simply for the nice handheld and the stick.

AmigaJay
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 am

tbh i think the majority of people buying this already know the facts, its not a £40 handheld you can buy on a whim from Argos, i doubt it will ever find its way onto the high street and most of the reviews on you tube and elsewhere haven't exactly been favourable and have pointed out its flaws, so i wouldn't worry about people getting conned, if they still want to buy it its up to them, if it was cheaper i might still take the plunge, simply for having 2 player joystick controlled NG games on my TV, imo £50 for the handheld, £30 dock and £30 each joysticks would be a better price.

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by will2097 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 am

I just bought one of these. I'm purposefully not going to read the reviews. I want to see for myself. I was a big fan of NeoGeo games in the arcade, i tried NeoGeo CD but ended up selling it. If nothing else, in 20 years it will be "TEH RAR3!!!2"""!!" on ebay 2.0

:)

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by silvergunner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:41 am

will2097 wrote:I just bought one of these. I'm purposefully not going to read the reviews. I want to see for myself. I was a big fan of NeoGeo games in the arcade, i tried NeoGeo CD but ended up selling it. If nothing else, in 20 years it will be "TEH RAR3!!!2"""!!" on ebay 2.0

:)
But after read this thread you know what it's like by now, and you don't live under a rock I presume so its not like you have managed to lock yourself away from all the bad vibes this thing generates :D

kiwimike
Posts: 3709
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 am

AmigaJay wrote:tbh i think the majority of people buying this already know the facts, its not a £40 handheld you can buy on a whim from Argos, i doubt it will ever find its way onto the high street and most of the reviews on you tube and elsewhere haven't exactly been favourable and have pointed out its flaws, so i wouldn't worry about people getting conned, if they still want to buy it its up to them, if it was cheaper i might still take the plunge, simply for having 2 player joystick controlled NG games on my TV, imo £50 for the handheld, £30 dock and £30 each joysticks would be a better price.
Yep, agree on all counts. And I'd possibly get one myself at a cheaper price too. I am pleased that many of the online reviews are pointing out this thing is not only an emulated product, but a flawed one available elsewhere and far more economically. I was a little concerned that magazine reviews may be reluctant to point out the emulators and just suggest the alternative to this was an original Neo Geo and all the costs associated.

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by snowkatt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 am

will2097 wrote:I just bought one of these. I'm purposefully not going to read the reviews. I want to see for myself. I was a big fan of NeoGeo games in the arcade, i tried NeoGeo CD but ended up selling it. If nothing else, in 20 years it will be "TEH RAR3!!!2"""!!" on ebay 2.0

:)
and four times as expensive
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by will2097 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 am

silvergunner wrote:
will2097 wrote:I just bought one of these. I'm purposefully not going to read the reviews. I want to see for myself. I was a big fan of NeoGeo games in the arcade, i tried NeoGeo CD but ended up selling it. If nothing else, in 20 years it will be "TEH RAR3!!!2"""!!" on ebay 2.0

:)
But after read this thread you know what it's like by now, and you don't live under a rock I presume so its not like you have managed to lock yourself away from all the bad vibes this thing generates :D
Hey but...

I'm Will2097 "Ignoring Internet opinions since 1993."

That's why i own a 3DO. Oh wait...

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3371
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 am

Seems like overpriced nonsense to me! I've always personally thought the Neo Geo was slightly overrated. £50 or less I would have been interested as I love handhelds.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

AmigaJay
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

greenberet79 wrote:Seems like overpriced nonsense to me! I've always personally thought the Neo Geo was slightly overrated. £50 or less I would have been interested as I love handhelds.
Overpriced maybe, but overrated no way hosay! 2nd fav console after the Megadrive for me, the quantity-quality of great games is amazing, yes there are lots of sequels but take the best from each series and there's still 60-70 amazing unique games.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Don't know if there's any interest still but more news about game release dates and firmware updates and stuff:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... lume_I.php
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Neo Geo X Gold

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 am

Mega pack contains a super fast charger, 15 more games including Art Of Fighting 3 and a firmware update which fixes most issues? Must. Have. This.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests