Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:Hmm good point. I mean the home ports on the retro collections last gen. I can't remember the actual arcade cab now.
Well the PS2 conversion (note, not a port) was a horror show so no wonder you don't like the 'arcade game'!
Played it on mame also and still prefered the Lynx game. I am sure it was great in the cabinet though.
I believe a past issue of RG featured an interview with the guy from Atari who created the game. Iirc, he stated that MAME doesn't emulate STUN Runner at all properly.

On a related note I find it quite unfortunate to read people claiming they've played an arcade coin-op when all they've actually played is the ROM using the likes of MAME. There's a whole world of difference between playing a classic arcade coin-op machine and sitting at home behind a desktop PC holding a gamepad. That's not a dig at you, it's a general comment.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Flint wrote:I adore my Gameboy Micros, yes plural, I liked my first one so much I bought a scuffed up second-hand to use the majority of the time (in case of loss, theft, flashcart draining the battery etc).
I adored my GBM. Shame my eyes couldn't hack it!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm

crusto wrote:My favourite? The game gadget.
You Bastard :lol:

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm

:mrgreen:

Eat your nans pants

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

kiwimike wrote:
crusto wrote:My favourite? The game gadget.
You Sick Bastard :lol:
fixed that for you
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:51 am

Fair comment re Mame DcRip. I did play the arcade game why back but I don't really remember it. I was quite young and it was probably too hard!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:24 am

Retro wise I'd have to pick the neo geo pocket colour. I spent countless hours unlocking everything in match of the millennium and it still stands up as my favourite handheld fighter of all time. Add to that games like kof, sonic, Rockman and card fighter clash and metal slug... I just wish it would have lived longer to get more great games.

Current gen wise it's the vita without a shadow of a doubt. This has ended up my main gaming platform in recent months and I'm really liking the great variety of indie stuff released on the platform (at the moment I'm loving Thomas is alone). I do wish this would get more exclusive retail games but I still have plenty to play, and with soul sacrifice just round the corner That doesn't look to be changing.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 am

nakamura wrote:Fair comment re Mame DcRip. I did play the arcade game why back but I don't really remember it. I was quite young and it was probably too hard!
Colour me envious! I only once ever saw the wonderful arcade coin-op in the wild and didn't have any cash on me at the time so could only gawp at its majesty.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 pm

nakamura wrote:Which is quite a lot, surprised me. A fair few 3DS games also look amazing. Super SFIV, Resident Evil Revalations and Zelda all run with lovely anti aliasing in 2D mode.
But essentially pretty much all 3ds games dont need to use the 3d technology as most game worlds are represented as 3 dimensional anyhow. I am one of the unfortunate / fortunate few who simply cannot enjoy '3d' due to my own visual receptors simply not understanding it , consequently giving me monster headaches and a terrible hatred of those not afflicted. However , I would still point at something like a FPS as representing something to be perceived by the brain as a 3 dimensional world (much as real life in fact - where even the unseen is filled in by knowledge or estimations) - something surely a standard DS =itself would be reasonably capable of.

Put simply im sick of missing out on stuff like Luigis mansion 2 and my son is too. 3d the gimmicky technology and 3 dimensional perception are not the same , yet the gimmick isnt entirely necessary to the basics of most of the games that use it - whereas perception is an inbuilt concept..

Damn stupid eyes of mine.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:38 am

I've always loved the original Gameboy, and mainly because of Zelda: Links Awakening. A lot of crappy games, but some real gems if you look hard enough.

Close second would be the DS for games in the Dragon Quest series, the re-release of Chrono Trigger, and the excellent Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor.

So many happy hours on these handhelds.
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am

Quite hard choice between DS and PSP. Both have some great games,both have their own specialities. I've been playing a lot of PSP lately so that will bias me. I love that when the PSP is CFW'd, it's a very functional piece of hardware and you can play almost anything 32-bit (minus Saturn that is) and under.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
nakamura wrote:Which is quite a lot, surprised me. A fair few 3DS games also look amazing. Super SFIV, Resident Evil Revalations and Zelda all run with lovely anti aliasing in 2D mode.
But essentially pretty much all 3ds games dont need to use the 3d technology as most game worlds are represented as 3 dimensional anyhow. I am one of the unfortunate / fortunate few who simply cannot enjoy '3d' due to my own visual receptors simply not understanding it , consequently giving me monster headaches and a terrible hatred of those not afflicted. However , I would still point at something like a FPS as representing something to be perceived by the brain as a 3 dimensional world (much as real life in fact - where even the unseen is filled in by knowledge or estimations) - something surely a standard DS =itself would be reasonably capable of.

Put simply im sick of missing out on stuff like Luigis mansion 2 and my son is too. 3d the gimmicky technology and 3 dimensional perception are not the same , yet the gimmick isnt entirely necessary to the basics of most of the games that use it - whereas perception is an inbuilt concept..

Damn stupid eyes of mine.
You do know you can play every 3ds game with 3d switched off?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 am

Tried it and even with the switch off it gives my eyes a major pounding. Guess im just never going to be able to enjoy the 3d fad and just enjoy life in 3 dimensions instead.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:59 am

shiftytigger wrote:Tried it and even with the switch off it gives my eyes a major pounding. Guess im just never going to be able to enjoy the 3d fad and just enjoy life in 3 dimensions instead.
That surprises me, as I can only see out of one eye properly and I've had no trouble playing any 3DS games at all obviously with the 3D turned off. :? It's probably my most used system at the moment.

EDIT: On saying that, I do find the size of my 3DS XL screen a lot better than I used to with my old original size 3DS.

Everybody's different though. Do any other handhelds give you headaches?
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Tried it and even with the switch off it gives my eyes a major pounding. Guess im just never going to be able to enjoy the 3d fad and just enjoy life in 3 dimensions instead.
That surprises me, as I can only see out of one eye properly and I've had no trouble playing any 3DS games at all obviously with the 3D turned off. :? It's probably my most used system at the moment.

EDIT: On saying that, I do find the size of my 3DS XL screen a lot better than I used to with my old original size 3DS.

Everybody's different though. Do any other handhelds give you headaches?
Not tried an XL yet , only a DSiXL which is my probably the best ds ive used. As for headaches from handhelds, only the 3ds really bothers me - the PSP screen i find perfect for most things i play and never gives me hassle. The game.com gave me nightmares,let alone flipping headaches...